2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

42 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Even if some people were taking a generous accounting of attendance (though there is no evidence that is occurring)...

Even if some people approach this league with a sense of optimism (though the optimism seems largely warranted)...

And even if people are trying to look on the bright side of events (after literally decades of being a soccer backwater)...

What is the big friggin deal?  Why the incessant need to try and quench the enthusiasm?  THAT is the part that galls me. 

Amen, preach on! I really don’t get the obsession with constant negativity and pessimism! As if it isn’t already hard enough being a Canadian soccer fan, some of us seek to constantly stand in our own damned way. 

Should be interesting to see how this round of Voyagers cup crowds will end up. I know in Halifax this is the first game that was not included in the season ticket package and we had some ticketing problems. York has an interesting promotion all tickets are 10$. I'm thinking the games not included in the season tickets may be a bit challenging. Might be interesting to see if other clubs offer big promotions like York?

PS - for a variety of reasons Wednesday is shaping up to likely be by far our smallest crowd on the season.

11 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Should be interesting to see how this round of Voyagers cup crowds will end up. I know in Halifax this is the first game that was not included in the season ticket package and we had some ticketing problems. York has an interesting promotion all tickets are 10$. I'm thinking the games not included in the season tickets may be a bit challenging. Might be interesting to see if other clubs offer big promotions like York?

PS - for a variety of reasons Wednesday is shaping up to likely be by far our smallest crowd on the season.

Why is the start time so early for Halifax?

10 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

That is a mystery. There never really was an explanation. Our first cup game was 6pm due to a memorial cup game in town at 8pm. Not sure how or why 6:15 was chosen for a start time - very odd for sure. 

The only possible explanation I can think of is that it minimizes the overlap between the HFX-Valour and York-FCE matches for the stream viewers. Pretty weak sauce if so.

Edited by jonovision

I have a bunch of naysayers on ignore so I'd like to post this to show some perspective. Some CPL teams eclipse many USLC teams that have been around longer in a league that have been around far longer. 

This is the "half-full" glass. Not bad for a 6 weeks old league. 😎

MLS Atlanta United FC 52,535
MLS Seattle Sounders 38,180
MLS FC Cincinnati 27,517
MLS Portland Timbers 25,218
MLS Toronto FC 24,790
MLS Orlando City SC 23,089
MLS LA Galaxy 22,187
MLS LAFC 22,159
MLS NYC FC 21,341
MLS Vancouver Whitecaps 20,391
MLS Minnesota United 19,724

NWSL Portland Thorns FC 19,461
MLS Sporting KC 18,856
MLS Real Salt Lake 17,219
MLS D.C. United 16,918
MLS San Jose Earthquakes 16,628
MLS New York Red Bulls 16,131
MLS Montreal Impact 15,983
MLS Philadelphia Union 15,840
MLS Houston Dynamo 14,931
MLS FC Dallas 14,531
MLS NE Revolution 14,345
MLS Colorado Rapids 13,748

NWSL Utah Royals FC 13,014
MLS Columbus Crew 12,930
USLC New Mexico United 12,299
USLC Indy Eleven 11,320
USLC Sacramento Republic FC 10,742

MLS Chicago Fire 10,635
CPL Forge FC 9,795
USLC Louisville City FC 8,088
USLC Las Vegas Lights FC 7,593
USLC Hartford Athletic 7,246
USLC Memphis 901 FC 6,957
USLC El Paso Locomotive FC 6,938

CPL Valour FC 6,731
USLC Phoenix Rising FC 6,535
USLC San Antonio FC 6,352
USLC Nashville SC 6,320

CPL HFX Wanderers FC 6,200
USLC Tampa Bay Rowdies 5,771
NWSL Chicago Red Stars 5,333
NWSL Orlando Pride 5,156

USLC Birmingham Legion FC 4,803
USLC Ottawa Fury FC 4,765
USLC Fresno FC 4,574

NWSL NC Courage 4,551
CPL York9 FC 4,260
USLC OKC Energy FC 4,253
CPL FC Edmonton 4,238
USLC North Carolina FC 4,194
USL1 Forward Madison FC 4,075
USLC Saint Louis FC 4,017
USLC Rio Grande Valley FC** 4,016

NWSL Reign FC 3,807
NWSL Houston Dash 3,783

USLC Reno 1868 FC** 3,522
CPL Pacific FC 3,374
USL1 Richmond Kickers 3,347
USLC CS Switchbacks FC 3,285
USLC Pittsburgh Riverhounds 3,170

CPL Cavalry FC 3,154
NWSL Washington Spirit 3,024
USLC Orange County SC 2,980
USLC Austin Bold FC 2,662
USLC Tulsa Roughnecks 2,650
USLC Charleston Battery 2,477

USL1 Greenville Triumph SC 2,415
USL1 Chattanooga Red Wolves 2,384
USL1 Lansing Ignite FC 2,285

USLC Tacoma Defiance* 2,202
USLC Atlanta United 2* 2,150
USLC Real Monarchs SLC* 2,041

USL1 North Texas SC* 2,000
USL1 S. Georgia Tormenta FC* 1,957

USLC Portland Timbers 2* 1,863
USLC Charlotte Independence 1,576

NWSL Sky Blue FC 1,379
USL1 FC Tucson*** 1,158
USLC Loudoun United FC* 825
USLC LA Galaxy II* 723
USLC New York Red Bulls II* 692
USLC Bethlehem Steel FC* 633
USLC Swope Park Rangers* 349

USL1 Toronto FC II* 243
USL1 Orlando City B* 211

* MLS reserve team
**MLS/USL hybrid
***USL reserve team

Source: Soccer Stadium Digest

Soooo many variables for individual attendances in the various markets that it can be hard to find relevance in the data.  Will say this, one eye opener in the above listings is how modest some of the MLS attendances are (overall and relative to capacity) whilst producing something other than less than modest gates. 

There's a graphic which would be more enlightening.  Attendance along side operating budget and gate revenue (so far as we reasonably know).    

6 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

That is a mystery. There never really was an explanation. Our first cup game was 6pm due to a memorial cup game in town at 8pm. Not sure how or why 6:15 was chosen for a start time - very odd for sure. 

I would check into Waye Mason's amendments to the popup approval motion that was presented to Halifax city council back in 2017. There may have been one that set a limit on when events on weeknights had to finish by.

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

I have a bunch of naysayers on ignore so I'd like to post this to show some perspective. Some CPL teams eclipse many USLC teams that have been around longer in a league that have been around far longer. 

This is the "half-full" glass. Not bad for a 6 weeks old league. 😎

Still early in the season and we'll have to wait for the "home opener" effect to get leveled out so I expect that we'll see TFC2 drop significantly.

It's probably only Hamilton and York 9 that have bloated numbers right now due to their well-documented use of free admission making tickets distributed numbers markedly different from paid attendance in that context. The Valour will likely drop a bit due to having the extra 4000 or so at the home opener but the rest where capacity is not so easily expandable are probably already not too far off where they will be at season's end. The Halifax number is startlingly good and very exciting for the future of pro soccer in Canada given the market size involved.  

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Im a TFC season ticket holder since 2007. I want them to succeed. 

I'm just having a bit of fun. 

Besides the club needs to do a way better job of developing young talent. Not sure what that has to do with attendance though. TFC really should be questioned as to why they aren't doing a better job. But our MSM is so flaccid and useless

All I know is im happy that the CPL said no to MLS reserve sides.   

Really hope Halifax can carry the momentum from Saturday and have a great crowd but it seems they may suffer from a unknowledgable crowd (which mls teams still suffer from so not a big deal).  Many people probably thought Halifax was eliminated after the last match v Vaughan... even with a video board in 2015 a lot of TFC fans thought they had beat out Montreal at home when they lost on away goals.

Halifax does need to get a video board to keep people informed of upcoming matches, replays etc.  

Still let’s hope that the buzz can build for tonight.  With pubs so close I think they can get a sizeable walk up crowd.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Really hope Halifax can carry the momentum from Saturday and have a great crowd but it seems they may suffer from a unknowledgable crowd (which mls teams still suffer from so not a big deal).  Many people probably thought Halifax was eliminated after the last match v Vaughan... even with a video board in 2015 a lot of TFC fans thought they had beat out Montreal at home when they lost on away goals.

Halifax does need to get a video board to keep people informed of upcoming matches, replays etc.  

Still let’s hope that the buzz can build for tonight.  With pubs so close I think they can get a sizeable walk up crowd.

Staff in that case. They literally announced the win and set off fireworks.

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Really hope Halifax can carry the momentum from Saturday and have a great crowd but it seems they may suffer from a unknowledgable crowd (which mls teams still suffer from so not a big deal)...

Definitely no shortage of blue dots on Ticketmaster, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

TFC will be more concerned about how many players break through to the first team. Would be good if we reach a point on here where everybody wants all Canadian pro soccer teams to succeed regardless of what league they are in.

Yes it would  and I think a large majority on here do and even the Fury 😎 though most don't agree with the path they have taken.

USLC Charleston Battery 2,477, looks like they will be folding soon, no wait , they have been around for what 20 years.

The Ottawa Fury #s are "inflated" by the school day crowd...........

I may hold the record for most teams supported that folded (actual ass in the seat, not from far)

Montreal Olympique (NASL), Montreal Manic (NASL) Montreal Supra (CSL) Inter Montreal (CSL2)

After jinking all the Montreal teams I moved to Ottawa. Ottawa Wizards (CPSL), Ottawa Pioneers/Intrepid (CSL) Capital City FC (CPSL) Ottawa Fury Women (USL)  and I might even be able to claim the Toronto Lynx as I travelled to Toronto several times to see them play, including the season that Derosario and Stalteri played for them.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

One of the problems with the Cup games is that they don't appear on the Centre Circle app.  I went on last night to get tickets for the Forge/Cavalry game and the game was not there.  I'm not sure it was even on the schedule on the app (can't remember).