Gold Cup 2019

Nice draw USA lol....Canada/Mexico/Costa Rica all on one side of the bracket.

I'm sorry, but when only two teams advance from 1 group... two teams from the same group should not stay on the same side of the bracket, simply awful.

Would never happen in World Cup or Euro's etc. etc and should not be happening in our region either, it's embarra$$ing.

Anyways vent over, I actually like playing Mexico at altitude, will be great experience. On paper, if all things go as I predict, we should also cross over to get a match vs Costa Rica. All that I like :).

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I don't really have a problem with this draw. Can someone explain to me why i should? 

Many people wanted to drive to a game. 

No possibility of Philly or Nashville, no bus from the GTA to Cleveland with the Voyageurs. 

For matchups and Fifa points, it's fine. From a structure standpoint, its disappointing.

Edited by Califax

19 minutes ago, Califax said:

Many people wanted to drive to a game. 

No possibility of Philly or Nashville, no bus from the GTA to Cleveland with the Voyageurs. 

For matchups and Fifa points, it's fine. From a structure standpoint, its disappointing.

Some of the Saskies and Peggers (ya ya, I know) might make a go of it.

As others have said, 2nd in the group stage will give you a quarterfinal (most likely) with Costa Rica.

Thanks for the perspective, Kent, on the rankings. I'm glad they may not affect anything for a few years, but it still bugs me that we're playing another match for no ranking points. It's disappointing that for the group stage at a major tournament, we're looking at a match with Cuba as probably our only point-earning opportunity. (I'm done with non-FIFA members.) ?

Going to see our QF match would be tempting, but knowing we're still on Mexico's side of the draw kind of dampens that a little bit. If I was going to go somewhere to watch us play 1 match, I'd much rather go wherever our home Nations League match is against the US. 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Dont we not get fifa points against martinique?

We'd be getting like 5 points from beating Martinique if they were a FIFA nation, so it's  pretty irrelevant.

Our match against them counts for CONCACAF rankings though, which supposedly might be the system used for WCQ seeding anyway.

I don't mind the draw in terms of the teams - we've been craving the opportunity to test ourselves against good teams so now we have matches scheduled against Mexico and the US before WCQ begins.

I just hate the locations they are playing at? Pasadena, Denver and Charlotte, then if we advance back to Houston? That would cost a fortune to try to follow the team around to support them in person.