Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Another thing I just thought of is perhaps looking at the away wcq results skewes things, because if GC was rotated, the USA would only be the away team in the rare occasion they played the host. Most games would see them as a neutral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Obinna said:

Another thing I just thought of is perhaps looking at the away wcq results skewes things, because if GC was rotated, the USA would only be the away team in the rare occasion they played the host. Most games would see them as a neutral.

Perhaps, but in terms of the comfort level of surroundings that you were bringing up for Canada, Honduras vs USA in Costa Rica would probably give the slight home field advantage to Honduras, for example.

I might put together something with more data, but maybe not. I think the data I have shown has already displayed that they do get an advantage to playing every continental championship at home. In my opinion, that advantage should be spread around to other countries, and not just to Canada and Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kent said:

This got me curious. So I dug up the USA's last 4 Gold Cup results against Central American and Mexican teams and compared with their results in away matches against Central American and Mexican teams in the last 3 WCQ campaigns.

Gold Cup - 9 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses
Wins against Nicaragua, El Salvador x2, Costa Rica x2, Honduras x2, Belize, Panama x2
Draws against Panama x2
Losses against Panama, Mexico

World Cup Qualifying - 3 wins, 5 draws, 6 losses
Wins against Panama, Guatemala, Honduras
Draws against Mexico x2, Panama, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador
Losses against Guatemala, Costa Rica x3, Honduras, Mexico

So yeah, I think that's a pretty significant advantage for the USA. Not to mention the fact that it's helped them grow the game as a spectator sport for the last 25 years or so.

Sure but what really grew the game was hosting the World Cup in 1994 and qualifying for every World Cup since 1990 up to the Brazil hosted World Cup in 2014. Canada won the Gold Cup back in the day but what did it really do to soccer’s growth in Canada? Would have taken even one World Cup appearance for Canada over winning that Gold Cup for me any day over winning that Gold Cup and failing miserably at almost every attempt at qualifying for a World Cup since 1986, only making it to the Hex once I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that 2000 gold cup victory was a very small blip on the radar because we crashed out of Korea/japan qualifying so quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Apparently the groups will be unveiled tomorrow. 

Thanks , I'm planning a bachelor party (he's a big footy fan).... Unfortunately France isn't in the cards to see the Women WC. From a strictly personal perspective I hope we get a sweet venue for the group stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Thanks , I'm planning a bachelor party (he's a big footy fan).... Unfortunately France isn't in the cards to see the Women WC. From a strictly personal perspective I hope we get a sweet venue for the group stage. 

I'll just go ahead and assume that my invite got lost in the mail... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, soon we'll know what the powers that be have decided behind closed doors.

Even though it may not be likely, I'm still hoping for Group C or D. I like staying on the US side of the elimination round draw. Honduras and Jamaica would be good competition for us, but I doubt they put 3 countries from the top 7/top 8 (depending on which rankings you look at) in the same group. A group with the US would be fun, but we'll see if they go that route since we're in the same Nations League group.

If we're placed in Group B, we've taken points off Costa Rica at the last 2 Gold Cups (1-1 in 2017, 0-0 in 2015) so that might not be so bad. The only drawback there is that once the group stage is over, B2 plays A1 (Mexico presumably) in the quarterfinals, so that's not ideal. If you won Group B, you'd potentially prolong a matchup with Mexico until the semis.

From a ranking perspective, I don't want to be in a group with Martinique. We took that hit recently against French Guiana in Nations League qualifying, as well as at the Gold Cup 2 years ago. Let someone else earn no ranking points against a non-FIFA member this time, preferably someone we're close to catching in the rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I'll just go ahead and assume that my invite got lost in the mail... ?

HAHA! don't worry, I actually didn't send any invites in the mail...

It was too expensive to mail out all 37 Million + invites ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping were in the group with Costa Rica or Honduras, we can challenge them and make it difficult on them. After the WC, a handful of key players have retired from the NT and have an aging squad already

What an experience for the guys to go down to Jamaica in Kington for example and the hosts in a hostile environment

Same goes for Costa Rica In San Jose at their national stadium with their fans, we can only grow from it until we get to WCQ's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

What an experience for the guys to go down to Jamaica in Kington for example and the hosts in a hostile environment

Same goes for Costa Rica In San Jose at their national stadium with their fans, we can only grow from it until we get to WCQ's 

Exactly ^ (bachelor preference aside), you stole my words how valuable that could be towards the 2022 WCQ campaign.

Edited by apbsmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what they decide for the match order within the groups. While playing Costa Rica in Costa Rica or Jamaica in Jamaica would be really good WCQ preparation, there's a chance that our first match might not even be against the hosts. We might be the other match that day, making it a bit more neutral than hostile.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Gold Cup news in about 40 minutes.

 

Reminder:

If we are in the same group as the USA,:

-wait for @admin to figure something out for Cleveland so we can all be in the same section.

-The Minnesota game is sold out. We will need to check with the CSA if they have spare tickets.

 

If we are in other groups:

-You should still wait to see who is going before getting a ticket.

 

 

 

 

STREAM for the "NOT-A-DRAW" is here:

EDIT:

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeaIZMAmeeg

 

 

http://www.concacafgo.com/concacafgo/video/bfcdff16-5f19-488f-a944-2160be22ac5e

 

 

 

 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Gold Cup news in about 40 minutes.

 

Reminder:

If we are in the same group as the USA,:

-wait for @admin to figure something out for Cleveland so we can all be in the same section.

-The Minnesota game is sold out. We will need to check with the CSA if they have spare tickets.

 

If we are in other groups:

-You should still wait to see who is going before getting a ticket.

 

 

 

 

STREAM for the "NOT-A-DRAW" is here:

http://www.concacafgo.com/concacafgo/video/bfcdff16-5f19-488f-a944-2160be22ac5e

 

So it looks like we have to pay $2.99 to watch the "NOT-A-DRAW". Um, no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting drawn against Mexico sucks cause they are good, and we'll have to face them twice (barring upsets) to get to the final.

Getting drawn against Martinique sucks cause we don't get any ranking points (although at this point ranking points probably don't matter until 2027 anyways)

Getting drawn against Cuba sucks cause we are already playing them twice this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Getting drawn against Mexico sucks cause they are good, and we'll have to face them twice (barring upsets) to get to the final.

Getting drawn against Martinique sucks cause we don't get any ranking points (although at this point ranking points probably don't matter until 2027 anyways)

Getting drawn against Cuba sucks cause we are already playing them twice this year.

It’s not the worst draw.  We get to play the best team in concacaf but still have no excuse to not advance.  If we can’t get out of the group it’s bye Herdman (not that I’m in the camp that wants that). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...