The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is often in the club's best interest (ie. maintaining relationships with agents etc., they ultimately want as much money out of the deal as they can get.) to allow players to speak to others clubs way before any transfer fee has been agreed. 

In most European transfers I have followed in recent years the personal terms are agreed in advance of the fee being hashed out.

Since it is so openly reported, I would guess Bayern have allowed the contract.

Just an educated guess based on other situations.

It’s also, at least in North American sports, hard to actually prove tampering. There are no rules that prevent an agent from speaking to his counterparts at a club and it’s very hard to prove that said contact involved a concrete salary offer for a player under contract. Madrid have guys connected to guys at Bayern and I’m sure they don’t need someone to tamper to know he wants to come to Madrid, they also know what his salary demands are probably, so I don’t know what the “tampering aspect” would be as Madrid can argue that everyone and their grandma knows that Davies would come to Madrid for €12/yr and that Madrid would welcome Davies with open arms. That’s all public information, and the rest is up to Bayern to figure out how to prove it.

But as you mention, Bayern definitely knew about this, and even if they didn’t, they absolutely do the same thing. 

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Have to admit, the possibility of joining guys like Mbappe, Bellingham, Vini Jr, and of course his good buddy David Alaba - it would be really hard to say no to that.  Who knows, maybe they'll even pick up Musiala next year.

Surprised noone mentioned the story where he and Gnabry and Goretzka think it was went to an event with a rapper and then were supposedly partying with him until 4am. Davies still with his injury and all of them with a 10am training session.

https://sportbild.bild.de/bundesliga/vereine/bayern-muenchen/fc-bayern-zwei-stars-feierten-bis-4-uhr-um-10-30-uhr-war-wieder-training-87302892.sport.html

There's a negative undercurrent that could be to justify a sale or could be the knives coming out because the team is flagging. 

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Surprised noone mentioned the story where he and Gnabry and Goretzka think it was went to an event with a rapper and then were supposedly partying with him until 4am. Davies still with his injury and all of them with a 10am training session.

https://sportbild.bild.de/bundesliga/vereine/bayern-muenchen/fc-bayern-zwei-stars-feierten-bis-4-uhr-um-10-30-uhr-war-wieder-training-87302892.sport.html

There's a negative undercurrent that could be to justify a sale or could be the knives coming out because the team is flagging. 

If Davies gets asked about this by reporters, I hope his German is good enough answer with Iverson's practice rant.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Interestingly, David Alaba was also there (although apparently he didn't have training the next morning in Madrid 😉).  And in a different article they said Joshua Kimmich was also out partying at a different club that same night.   All four Bayern players have been in Tuchel's doghouse at various times this past year.  Now that he's a lame duck, maybe it's a case of who cares what the coach wants?

35 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Interestingly, David Alaba was also there (although apparently he didn't have training the next morning in Madrid 😉).  And in a different article they said Joshua Kimmich was also out partying at a different club that same night.   All four Bayern players have been in Tuchel's doghouse at various times this past year.  Now that he's a lame duck, maybe it's a case of who cares what the coach wants?

Yeah, I think they were invited to this event by Luciano, a DJ, but then he invited them to an after party and some went, not all. 

I imagine they have a curfew, all teams do. Any exceptions must be approved. True, players can often jump the rules, but not when they are well known. Pique when he was at Manchester United, young and on loan from Barça, has hilarious stories of doing all-nighters, even flying to other cities, partying, flying back early morn for training, because no one knew who he was yet.

Was it on this thread someone posted how Effenberg went off on Davies for his bad attitude in the dressing room? At Bayern, they have all these ex players as hangers on, doing nothing, sitting around like some sort of Sanhedrin lording it over everyone, and taking pot shots. They are arrogant af, which is not unusual for any big club in the world, but they shoot off their mouths more than the veterans of any other team. And they have no filters, they blab and are indiscreet, often about others' indiscretions. I wonder: how does Effenberg know what is happening in the Bayern dressing room if he doesn't have plants or spies in there? It is all a bit sordid, making it easier for players to leave the club for this very reason. 

42 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Can Davies be our Modric? KJ makes his case:

When I watched this I questioned whether we want David going there too.

It would definitely be in a reserve role and he'd have to be okay with being a substitue for what would be his best years, but if we want our players in an environment where you develop a top mentality, this would be it. 

Real Madrid have been linked to David in the past, so while there isn't no current interest it wouldn't be that far-fetched, would it? Especially if he somehow can go there on a free, why not shore up the forward depth if you're Real Madrid?

On 2/27/2024 at 7:31 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I remember how mad you were at an instagram comment the day before a game so i can only imagine how you feel about this

3 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

I remember how mad you were at an instagram comment the day before a game so i can only imagine how you feel about this

It didn't help I seriously sprained my ankle that day coming off a mountain in Andorra, but like half a km from the parking lot. Made me sour.

About Davies being out, since he was with a bunch of others, makes me think he was not going rogue. I don't think he's been fined, though usually club fines are kept private.

If you want to know how I feel about Tata Martino doing a year-end barbecue for the Barça squad a few days before we lost a league at Camp Nou, on the final day, vs. Atlético, just ask. 

But have you noticed his social media presence has fallen off radically? That has nothing to do with the club reminding him who pays his salary, you don't think? Or is it also losing Jordyn, he could have been doing it to strengthen her revenue streams, since she was probably making less than 100k at PSG? How busy will he be at Real Madrid in that regard, just wondering. They loved Bale there when he said his priorities were Wales, golfing and RM, in that order, and then showed it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Think Bayern goes 10 points back with 10 games left if Leverkeusen beat relegation-threatened Koln tomorrow.

The fact that they’re letting Tuchel stay until end of season gives me the impression they’re throwing in the towel. Oh well. Hopefully Davies becomes Canada Davies and just takes every game as an opportunities to do cool moves and hero ball as hard as he can.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It might be better for them and German football if they don’t win the league this season. But so hilarious that this is the year Harry Kane joined and he’s had an incredible season. 

Gotta feel for Kane, the guy just can't win, even with a fixed deck.

Edited by costarg