The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

58 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

It's good to hear hes not as bas as some of the comments. One of the analysts mentioned that what could limit his ability to play freely is the fact that the defenders have been so bad. As a left back if you have no confidence in your CBs, it impacts how free you are to make those runs forward. 

I'm not sure if the defenders have been as bad as the midfield - but either way just too many uncharacteristic giveaways by the CBs and CMs.  And that combined with Tuchel's insistence on defense first for his fullbacks, means Davies doesn't get to race forward nearly as often as he likes.  (He does get to race back often though.)

14 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

He hasnt been playing poorly. He's had ratings of 8.5, 8.0, 8.6 and 7.4 in his last 4 matches. He's doing very well except the last match where he was still third highest on the team despite the loss. People need to stop buying into rumours and hearsay about how he's doing and actually watch the games/look at the analytics.

Is he playing like the best LB in the world though? That's what he's rated against. People are also disappointed that he was the best LB in the world at 20 and hasn't taken a leap beyond that since then, especially over the last two seasons as he's starting to hit his prime. He has yet to score this year and hasn't registered an assist since I believe his 4th or 5th game (think he started the season with like 3As in 5 games or something?)- no, direct goal contributions aren't what makes an LB good or bad, but we're talking about a guy who is compared against the best in the world, this is what you have to do. It's expected of him to maintain those fotmob scores but to also have highlight reel plays every other game too. It's a lot, but this is the callibre of player he is.  I don't watch as much Bayern as others here have, though I've watched him play several times at different points in this season, and I'm willing to chalk up a great deal of this to Tuchel/Bayern not playing so good/bad team vibes/Davies having possibly decided already he's gone in the summer, so it's in no way an indictment of who he is as a player, but he's expected to do more than maintain a good fotmob score.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is he playing like the best LB in the world though? That's what he's rated against. People are also disappointed that he was the best LB in the world at 20 and hasn't taken a leap beyond that since then, especially over the last two seasons as he's starting to hit his prime. He has yet to score this year and hasn't registered an assist since I believe his 4th or 5th game (think he started the season with like 3As in 5 games or something?)- no, direct goal contributions aren't what makes an LB good or bad, but we're talking about a guy who is compared against the best in the world, this is what you have to do. It's expected of him to maintain those fotmob scores but to also have highlight reel plays every other game too. It's a lot, but this is the callibre of player he is.  I don't watch as much Bayern as others here have, though I've watched him play several times at different points in this season, and I'm willing to chalk up a great deal of this to Tuchel/Bayern not playing so good/bad team vibes/Davies having possibly decided already he's gone in the summer, so it's in no way an indictment of who he is as a player, but he's expected to do more than maintain a good fotmob score.

If he goes to Madrid they'll plain expect him to go forward when it's right, he won't be asking permission. I am sure they'll be a bit shocked how unambitious he's become if he walks in playing Bayern style. I'm disappointed that the kid has not improved in certain areas after all these years, including first touch (which is heavy or long in his case), finding space to run, crossing. I wonder how much he can still learn in this regard.

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

He assisted Kanes goal in the game against Hoffenheim 2 weeks ago.   

Bayern is a mess right now and that has more to do with Tuchel's influence and Leverkeusen's record this year than anything Davies has done on or off the pitch.  I've changed my opinion though and now think Fonzie will really benefit from a change of location.

Little bit of the classic Vs overreaction after sitting one game?

Although it is pretty cool we are so used to having a Canadian be an everyday starter at Bayern, that the moment he faces some questions the response is "fine, send him to Real Mardrid" :D

I highly doubt they staple Davies to the bench, but I guess we'll see!

14 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Although it is pretty cool we are so used to having a Canadian be an everyday starter at Bayern, that the moment he faces some questions the response is "fine, send him to Real Mardrid" :D

Put it this way - I would not put it past Tuchel to do that.  He’s basically made Mueller a spot sub and at various times Musiala, de Ligt, and Goretzka have ridden the pine for multiple games in a row.  I don’t even know what happened to Serge Gnabry.  But Tuchel definitely has a funhouse and a doghouse, and he happily shuffles players between them.

36 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Put it this way - I would not put it past Tuchel to do that.  He’s basically made Mueller a spot sub and at various times Musiala, de Ligt, and Goretzka have ridden the pine for multiple games in a row.  I don’t even know what happened to Serge Gnabry.  But Tuchel definitely has a funhouse and a doghouse, and he happily shuffles players between them.

I always thought of Bayern as a no-nonsense, get the job done, team is bigger than any one individual type team.  The past year or so and Tuchel have tarnished that tremendously.  Also possible that I just have not been paying close enough attention until Davies showed up.

12 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Real Madrid would be a step up for Davies and it would  better suit his style of play at least while Tuchel is at Bayern. He would also reunite with Alaba who was his mentor when he joined Bayern. I think most of us are hoping this move happens sooner rather than later.

The one thing that may unstaple him from the bench right now is Bayern's thin roster.  They have no right backs available (Mazraoui, Laimer, Kimmich, Sarr all injured).  Upamecano (RCB) is also out.  Guerreiro can play RB in a pinch and that's probably what will get Davies back on the pitch at LB.  And given his past history after benchings, I wouldn't be surprised if he performs well enough to get his starting job back.   

On 1/25/2024 at 11:54 AM, GasPed said:

The one thing that may unstaple him from the bench right now is Bayern's thin roster.  They have no right backs available (Mazraoui, Laimer, Kimmich, Sarr all injured).  Upamecano (RCB) is also out.  Guerreiro can play RB in a pinch and that's probably what will get Davies back on the pitch at LB.  And given his past history after benchings, I wouldn't be surprised if he performs well enough to get his starting job back.   

This appears to be the case for the game today, livescore has him starting at lb and Guerrero at rb.