The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Athletic article behind their paywall. Nothing especially new.

The relevant parts say essentially Real Madrid has met with his people multiple times, they don't want him sign a new contract so they get him on the cheap this summer or on a free next.

Bayern do want him, so far rejected replacements, and are set to meet with him about a new contract soon. But they do want answers about his intentions in the near future.

https://theathletic.com/5260154/2024/02/09/real-madrid-alphonso-davies-miguel-gutierrez-ferland-mendy

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The relevant parts say essentially Real Madrid has met with his people multiple times, they don't want him sign a new contract so they get him on the cheap this summer or on a free next.

Bayern do want him, so far rejected replacements, and are set to meet with him about a new contract soon. But they do want answers about his intentions in the near future.

https://theathletic.com/5260154/2024/02/09/real-madrid-alphonso-davies-miguel-gutierrez-ferland-mendy

-What are your intentions, honourable or dishonourable?

-You mean I have a choice?

40 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A tale as old as time. Tenured employee with strong track record who feels underappreciated at his job goes and interviews with a competing firm, wants to join them, couple red flags show up, the process takes a bit longer than expected, and all the while your current employer has a come to jesus moment and basically tells you to straight up tell them what it's gonna cost to keep you. I think when it comes down to Bayern's put up or shut up moment, they're going to realize that Davies is a lot more important to them than they're willing to admit and they'll (reasonably) give him what he wants.

Madrid Davies would be cool though.

Whats best for davies development. 

I feel like hes a bit stagnated at bayern. 

At RM he trains with slightly higher quality players and plays slightly higher opposition. I think he will be expected to handle 1v1 defending slightly more than at bayern. 

Basically I think everything is half a notch higher at RM so as long as he gets minutes, I think a move is better for his development. Having said that, staying at bayern is a safe bet for minutes and he can still learn.

Oddly enough, I think he develops the most at man city but has the highest risk factor for getting minutes there. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Whats best for davies development. 

I feel like hes a bit stagnated at bayern. 

At RM he trains with slightly higher quality players and plays slightly higher opposition. I think he will be expected to handle 1v1 defending slightly more than at bayern. 

Basically I think everything is half a notch higher at RM so as long as he gets minutes, I think a move is better for his development. Having said that, staying at bayern is a safe bet for minutes and he can still learn.

Oddly enough, I think he develops the most at man city but has the highest risk factor for getting minutes there. 

Madrid: 421 mm precip, January avg. temp 6.3 C,  2074 hrs of sun during season (hey, we win, the sun's out and and life is good)
Munich: 939 mm precip, January avg. temp 0.9 C, 1379 hrs of sun during season (hey, we win, the beer is good and there's skiing nearby)
Manchester: 828 mm precip, Jan. avg. temp 1.7 C, 1064 hrs of sun during season (hey, at least we win or I'd shoot myself)

Edited by Cicero

Lots of news out there today saying he's reached a verbal agreement to move to Real Madrid. Some are saying he could go for 50 million. 

Not dressed today in Champions, does he still have that knee injury? I am watching PSG-Real Sociedad, but they say Bayern has not had a shot this first half, for the first time in Champions in 13 years. You can complain about Davies not being a great factor in Bayern matches, but fact is, when he is not there, they are not better and are probably worse.

(Real Sociedad, what a quality team, making PSG look mediocre, though the sheer talent should make a difference 2nd half). 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Lots of news out there today saying he's reached a verbal agreement to move to Real Madrid. Some are saying he could go for 50 million. 

Not dressed today in Champions, does he still have that knee injury? I am watching PSG-Real Sociedad, but they say Bayern has not had a shot this first half, for the first time in Champions in 13 years. You can complain about Davies not being a great factor in Bayern matches, but fact is, when he is not there, they are not better and are probably worse.

(Real Sociedad, what a quality team, making PSG look mediocre, though the sheer talent should make a difference 2nd half). 

Still injured. After it was suspected he would only be out a few weeks, some are now saying it could be longer. In either case, he was never going to be fit for this match. 

Glad he's reached a verbal agreement IF true. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Still injured. After it was suspected he would only be out a few weeks, some are now saying it could be longer. In either case, he was never going to be fit for this match. 

Glad he's reached a verbal agreement IF true. 

Seeing this in the Spanish press in the last hour or so. I wonder if that is fed by him not dressing today, as if he was being left off. Leading to a mistaken conclusion. One of the journalists saying it is from Marca, arguing that with the new sporting director at Bayern they may make another try at keeping him.

But still, seems to be all over the place. 

Upamecano gets a red card in a must win Bayern match yet again: my sweet special boy, do not worry, you are so good, it’s the rest of the team that must put in more effort.

Davies goes a game without taking a ball from box to box, dribbling past 5 guys and firing a laser from the edge of the box past the keeper: you overrated, egotistical, careless player that peaked at 19. You don’t deserve the Bayern shirt. Guerrero is twice the player you are and you’ll be riding the bench until you realize what you’ve done 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Upamecano gets a red card in a must win Bayern match yet again: my sweet special boy, do not worry, you are so good, it’s the rest of the team that must put in more effort.

Davies goes a game without taking a ball from box to box, dribbling past 5 guys and firing a laser from the edge of the box past the keeper: you overrated, egotistical, careless player that peaked at 19. You don’t deserve the Bayern shirt. Guerrero is twice the player you are and you’ll be riding the bench until you realize what you’ve done 

I gave you a sad face because all of it is too true...  ☹️