The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

It's crazy that for most players, what appears to be heavy touches, would result in a sure turnover. But Davies can recover the ball in the last split second and keep possession. Reminds me of that great run he had away to Chelsea in CL several yrs ago when he crossed to Lewa for the goal. I do wonder sometimes if his heavy touch is intentional?

33 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's crazy that for most players, what appears to be heavy touches, would result in a sure turnover. But Davies can recover the ball in the last split second and keep possession. Reminds me of that great run he had away to Chelsea in CL several yrs ago when he crossed to Lewa for the goal. I do wonder sometimes if his heavy touch is intentional?

His first touch is heavy, I think it is a defect. His speed should allow him to make the small touch, another, and with his wrong foot, then go hard to his left. And he often doesn't because his first touch gets away from him and he can't do the rest.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His first touch is heavy, I think it is a defect. His speed should allow him to make the small touch, another, and with his wrong foot, then go hard to his left. And he often doesn't because his first touch gets away from him and he can't do the rest.

While I tend to agree, I also think (as Obinna(?) or someone else pointed out) that the heavy first touch combined with his unreal athleticism has in fact made for many of his highlight reel plays.  He clobbers the ball, the defender thinks they can get to it first and commits, but no, Phonzie gets there first and clips it past them, leaving them in the dust.  It has happened so often that one wonders if he's getting away with it or he's intentionally baiting his opponents.  Probably the former, but regardless, it's a great party trick.

21 minutes ago, GasPed said:

While I tend to agree, I also think (as Obinna(?) or someone else pointed out) that the heavy first touch combined with his unreal athleticism has in fact made for many of his highlight reel plays.  He clobbers the ball, the defender thinks they can get to it first and commits, but no, Phonzie gets there first and clips it past them, leaving them in the dust.  It has happened so often that one wonders if he's getting away with it or he's intentionally baiting his opponents.  Probably the former, but regardless, it's a great party trick.

If you want to see someone with a skilled first touch that can beat defenders, watch how Lamine Yamal receives in attacking plays, converting passes into the next unexpected move on the defender. Amazing skill for a 16 year old.

Davies had this same awkward touch and imprecise passing at Whitecaps, and in speed and under pressure, he does not seem to have improved that much at Bayern. That's an indictment. If he's playing at the Bernabeu it'll change quickly, he's young enough to sharpen the defect still.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

22 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I definitely want Davies at the Bernabeu in Real Madrid colors but if not then Barcelona is the next best thing...I will take that too

Barça can't afford a transfer but could probably do the salary.

But he's not really a Barça profile player, don't think. Right now at LB we have Cancelo on loan, to buy him it'll cost 25 million; and Balde, who is young, injured now, similar to an extent to Davies with speed and attacking spaces, but inferior in almost all aspects. 

6 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

In North America, that level of contact with a player under contract probably loses you draft picks for the next 10 years if not losing you the franchise altogether.

In Europe it's illegal too.
That's what agents are for.

Teams/coaches can't directly contact players. 

Have it my head after Bosman it was no holds barred if you were in the last 6 months of your contract.  Davies has better than a year left no?   If this has been going on for a bit, that's some serious tampering.

Man can work where ever he wants and it's always nice to be wanted and all that but on the face of it a right dick move.

2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

In North America, that level of contact with a player under contract probably loses you draft picks for the next 10 years if not losing you the franchise altogether.

It is often in the club's best interest (ie. maintaining relationships with agents etc., they ultimately want as much money out of the deal as they can get.) to allow players to speak to others clubs way before any transfer fee has been agreed. 

In most European transfers I have followed in recent years the personal terms are agreed in advance of the fee being hashed out.

Since it is so openly reported, I would guess Bayern have allowed the contract.

Just a educated guess based on other situations.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Have it my head after Bosman it was no holds barred if you were in the last 6 months of your contract.  Davies has better than a year left no?   If this has been going on for a bit, that's some serious tampering.

Man can work where ever he wants and it's always nice to be wanted and all that but on the face of it a right dick move.

The problem with the tampering rules is that they're basically impossible to monitor and enforce.  If someone was to go and ask RM or Nick Huoseh today whether the personal services terms mentioned in the article had already been agreed to, both would adamantly deny it and simply state "RM always maintains informal relationships with world class players - we're always interested in their development and future plans".

In practice of course it doesn't happen that way at all.  RM: "So, does Alphonso like Spain?"  Nick: "Yes, but Germany would like to keep him too you know."  RM: "Hypothetically, what would it take for him to come to Spain?"  Nick: "Hypothetically, Bayern is trying to re-up him for $12M."  "RM: Done.  Hypothetically of course."  Nick: "Hypothetically you should ask Bayern if you can talk to us.  Let us know when the hypothetical paperwork is done."   

Edited by GasPed