The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I think Davies needs to learn to calm down and just play his game.  Everytime he plays for Canada, he knows the expectations that the CMNT fans have for him and as a result, he tries to do too much.  Hopefully the new coach will be able to persuade him not to overplay the ball and play as part of a team.  When he learns to play as a teammate in the Canadian system, then he will really shine.

32 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The only thing I’ll say is:

World class left back

/draw your own conclusions 

I dont know how much we believe in stats but as I mentioned on the other thread, he was the game leader in a few defensive categories. That is while contributing offensively, which also was neccesary. 

He was a world class left back in a specific kind of attacking team.  We are really silly when we don't have similar components, like world class midfielders, to not use him in an expanded (wingback for me) role.  

45 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I dont know how much we believe in stats but as I mentioned on the other thread, he was the game leader in a few defensive categories. That is while contributing offensively, which also was neccesary. 

He was a world class left back in a specific kind of attacking team.  We are really silly when we don't have similar components, like world class midfielders, to not use him in an expanded (wingback for me) role.  

I completely agree.  Yes, he's a world class LB, but he's also our best LWB and LW.  He may even be our best RWB and RW.  Combine that with the fact that we're fairly deep at the fullback position and it's just not a slam dunk that we should play him there. 

It's possible that he could be equally effective and impactful in any one of many positions we choose to play him.   But his roll needs to be clear, others around him need to compliment his roll, he needs to buy-in and accept his roll / position with the CanMNT, and there needs to be a run of consistency.  He his the only world-elite player we've ever had, so I have no issue with him having a starring roll, and much of everything else worked around to whatever is decided to make him shine.

Davies did not look good on that second goal. Watched about 40 mins of the second half. Team seems disconnected and indecisive, the likes of which I've never seen before. Tuchel is gone obviously and the title is out of reach but they better do something in the CL or this season will be considered an unmitigated disaster.

Was watching Bayern and also Mallorca, but missed the moment: any reaction from the fans when he was subbed out?

I was surprised how he could just play, down 0-1, with no real drive to go into the attack and force a few plays, they way he does with Canada. 

Pretty sure that Davies under Ancellotti is going to be that attacking LB running the channel and playing two ways, the way we imagine he could be. Also think he'll get goals and assists, this comfortable way of playing as a fullback is fine, but even stay-home players like Carvajal at Madrid end up getting goals.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

33 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Davies did not look good on that second goal. Watched about 40 mins of the second half. Team seems disconnected and indecisive, the likes of which I've never seen before. Tuchel is gone obviously and the title is out of reach but they better do something in the CL or this season will be considered an unmitigated disaster.

It looked like AD was marking a man in the middle as they had 2 guys attacking Dier who was alone as De ligt was on the outside . I think Gnabry was late covering the wide player.

Only watched from min 50 until the second Dortmund goal so not sure what the reaction was when he was subbed. When I tuned in he had apparently just missed on a "great chance" according to the announcer but I didn't catch the replay. He was actually pushing up pretty high until Gnabery came on but it was a mixed bag from what I saw. If you hop on Twitter he's getting dragged hard😬

5 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Only watched from min 50 until the second Dortmund goal so not sure what the reaction was when he was subbed. When I tuned in he had apparently just missed on a "great chance" according to the announcer but I didn't catch the replay. He was actually pushing up pretty high until Gnabery came on but it was a mixed bag from what I saw. If you hop on Twitter he's getting dragged hard😬

Bayern fans have fully turned on him. And he's been pretty average lately. Not surprised.

21 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Yes, he had a one timer that he took with his right foot and shanked it - it wasn't great.  Overall, thought he did ok - even the last goal, he was dragged to the middle to cover a guy, and it would've been really tough (impossible) to cover the runner behind him.

But yeah, no one played well today - and for Davies, the narrative that he's already halfway to Madrid in his mind just gained a lot more traction...