The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

This Champions draw is fairly even, strong vs. strong (el Real-City), weaker vs. weaker (Atlético-Dortmund). 

One side of the draw is stronger, I agree. Davies and Bayern should be able to hold Arsenal, who may not be ready for the level of the competition (vs. Porto they struggled both legs).

If you look at the ties objectively, I'd say that the key difference between teams in each case is home advantage. I think all ending at home have a slight advantage, or even if Barça still seems weaker beside PSG, at least returning to Barcelona balances the quarter finals out somewhat.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This Champions draw is fairly even, strong vs. strong (el Real-City), weaker vs. weaker (Atlético-Dortmund). 

One side of the draw is stronger, I agree. Davies and Bayern should be able to hold Arsenal, who may not be ready for the level of the competition (vs. Porto they struggled both legs).

If you look at the ties objectively, I'd say that the key difference between teams in each case is home advantage. I think all ending at home have a slight advantage, or even if Barça still seems weaker beside PSG, at least returning to Barcelona balances the quarter finals out somewhat.

Similar to last year’s draw where one of the sides of the draw seems stronger than the other.  I actually prefer it this way - to see balanced 2-leg ties in quarters and semis, as the finals tend to be a bit anti-climactic.

Edited by TOcanadafan

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I would call it even when the 4 strongest teams are on one side of the bracket and the 4 weaker ones are on the other (with all due respect to PSG).  But it definitely sets up some intriguing matchups right off the bat. 

47 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I would call it even when the 4 strongest teams are on one side of the bracket and the 4 weaker ones are on the other (with all due respect to PSG).  But it definitely sets up some intriguing matchups right off the bat. 

Even in the sense that no match-up has a clear favourite. Each quarter final tie is close, and as I argue, the home advantage 2nd leg may be the only edge you can find.

Arsenal did not look great in either leg vs. Porto, Arteta did not look like he was handling things well. Go 2nd leg to Bayern and I think they lose any advantage, if any. I'll pick Bayern.

Same with City and Madrid. Madrid actually struggled and were booed at home 2nd leg vs. Leipzig, who had a goal disallowed first leg many say was valid. City has not wavered, so they get the slight advantage ending at home. 

Same with Atlético and Dortmund, home 2nd leg may be the difference. 

Barça vs. PSG is also close. Barça is probably weaker, and we have major injuries to deal with in the midfield (De Jong, Gavi, Pedri), but the home leg evens it up. A toss up because Barça is very unreliable this year and Xavi loses control so often it's not funny.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even in the sense that no match-up has a clear favourite. Each quarter final tie is close, and as I argue, the home advantage 2nd leg may be the only edge you can find.

Arsenal did not look great in either leg vs. Porto, Arteta did not look like he was handling things well. Go 2nd leg to Bayern and I think they lose any advantage, if any. I'll pick Bayern.

Same with City and Madrid. Madrid actually struggled and were booed at home 2nd leg vs. Leipzig, who had a goal disallowed first leg many say was valid. City has not wavered, so they get the slight advantage ending at home. 

Same with Atlético and Dortmund, home 2nd leg may be the difference. 

Barça vs. PSG is also close. Barça is probably weaker, and we have major injuries to deal with in the midfield (De Jong, Gavi, Pedri), but the home leg evens it up. A toss up because Barça is very unreliable this year and Xavi loses control so often it's not funny.

By the time the QF ties roll around, the edge may go against the two English sides. Real Madrid will have the league sealed up, so will be able to focus completely on City. Bayern are going to finish second. Their Bundesliga dream will be dead, and they won't be much concerned about dropping to third, so they can focus completely on Arsenal. City and Arsenal, on the other hand, should still be going full tilt with Liverpool in a 3-way sprint to the finish in the Premier League. Neither will be able to let up for a second in the league to look ahead to CL ties. The 'weaker' side of the draw sees 3 league also-rans against a league runaway leader, so everyone will be able to focus equally on the tasks at hand in the CL.

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Then again.....

https://theathletic.com/5344223/2024/03/15/arsenal-bayern-munich-champions-league-tickets/

No away fans for Bayern in the first leg against Arsenal.

It's not like the Emirates is that much of a pressure-cooker. Not by any means the scariest of places to visit. I don't think it will affect Bayern. Same with Barça going to PSG, not a hard place to go play. 

The Bernabeu is good for 2nd legs, not so much for 1st legs. 

For me, the two highest pressure stadiums, now that Camp Nou is being renovated, are those of Atlético de Madrid and Borrussia Dortmund.

6 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

This isn't even a raise over his current salary. Kind of demeaning to him. I would be surprised if he accepts.

Exactly, it barely increases what he currently makes. It's insulting, it is what you offer a guy you'd prefer to sell.

He's opting for 10 million net a year, which for Real Madrid is feasible. Vinicius and Bellingham make a bit more than that (50% tax rate in Spain), no one lower has a higher profile except, arguably, Rodrygo. Then Modric is higher but will be off the books this summer (they may offer him a year at a lot less, but he's angry with them), and Kroos is up and they'll renegotiate lower as well. Alaba is higher than that too.

So at 20m gross he'd be the 4th highest on the roster, or 5th if Kroos stays. I am conveniently ignoring Mbappe who breaks the bank, if they get anywhere near his PSG salary 4-5 times more.

The lowest paid is Joselu at 2.5 gross, striker on loan from Espanyol, who has 8 goals in league and 3 in Champions, great (and very smart) deal.

Davies is ranked #13 on this list of the best North American football players ever: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/the-best-footballers-from-north-america-ever

As it says, "He's the youngest player on this list by some distance" so he should move up the list by the end of his career. He's the only Canadian on the list.

I agree with the rankings for the most part, but there are some interesting choices. I've been following football for a long time and had never heard of the players ranked #5, 7 and 11.

10 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Davies is ranked #13 on this list of the best North American football players ever: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/the-best-footballers-from-north-america-ever

As it says, "He's the youngest player on this list by some distance" so he should move up the list by the end of his career. He's the only Canadian on the list.

I agree with the rankings for the most part, but there are some interesting choices. I've been following football for a long time and had never heard of the players ranked #5, 7 and 11.

Maybe I just didn’t watch him play enough but Landon Donavan at 4 is laughable. The guy spent 95% of his career in the MLS, Sure he’s a MLS legend but you have guys who spent their whole careers in the prem like Tim Howard at #20 and then theres Canadians like Atiba, Forrest, Stalteti who played countless seasons in Europe and aren’t even on the list. Most of the list seems to be based on their club achievements but then you have Landon Donavan at 4? 

5 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

The guy spent 95% of his career in the MLS, Sure he’s a MLS legend

Need to add a much weaker MLS than today as well.  The rest of the list is ok, but Donovan was also the one that stood out for me.

Edited by costarg

29 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

That list isn’t worth taking seriously. All over the place with crazy bias towards US and Mexican players. 

I think lists like this are hard to make, because how do you compare eras with vastly different quality? For example, Davies is 13, Walter Bahr is 5. Davies is the best LB in the world for arguably the biggest club in the world, but Walter Bahr is this legend who had the assist on the goal that led the US to beating England at the World Cup in 1950 which is a more magical moment than anything Davies has done to date. Doubtful Bahr could’ve scored that goal against Panama. On the other hand, Bahr played for illustrious clubs such as Philadelphia United German-Hungarians, Czechoslovak Sparta Montreal (didn’t know Montreal ever had enough Czechs or Slovaks to form a club, but regardless) and Montreal Hakoah. On the other hand, Davies only has about 7 or 8 seasons of experience whereas a lot of these other guys had decade+ long careers. 

Actually, this is probably a terrible example because I can’t even formulate an emotional reason why this guy would be the 5th best North American player of all time, seemingly on the strength of one nice assist and one total goal for the USMNT like 75 years ago. But there is a discussion to be had about how you rate different players from different eras considering players these days are almost guaranteed to be of a quality that is on a completely different level than generations past, but those older players didn’t have the opportunities players these days have. 

tl;dr- lists like this are irrelevant and Davies is top 5 most talented North American player ever and will end up top 3 at worst.