The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Davies becomes the 2nd Canadian player to score vs RM? I believe JDG was the first. It's unfortunate that his goal wasn't the winner, but it was still an incredible strike for a player that hasn't had much time playing forward. His pace was on full display and should have received the ball more often as he was moving very well into open spaces.  Btw that is the 2nd golazo he has scored with his right. The other was vs Spurs. Sad for Phonzie, but RM over 90+ mins were the better team and they were incredible in the 2 games vs City who will most likely win the EPL title.

Actually Davies has scored 4 times with his right foot (out of 10 goals total) with Bayern according to Transfermarkt.  I will say that his last one (against Augsburg earlier in the year) was also very well-taken.  It's definitely not a go-to for him, but he has it in his locker, and who knows just how dangerous he can be if he becomes a real two-footed player?

41 minutes ago, costarg said:

So basically, Davies had two options.  1- Walk into Tuchel's office and tell him to f@#$ himself.  2- Do this in a CL semi-final match that he started on the bench.  So proud of our boy.

I would suggest that just because he did the 2nd, it does not mean that the 1st option is off the table!

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Davies becomes the 2nd Canadian player to score vs RM? I believe JDG was the first. It's unfortunate that his goal wasn't the winner, but it was still an incredible strike for a player that hasn't had much time playing forward. His pace was on full display and should have received the ball more often as he was moving very well into open spaces.  Btw that is the 2nd golazo he has scored with his right. The other was vs Spurs. Sad for Phonzie, but RM over 90+ mins were the better team and they were incredible in the 2 games vs City who will most likely win the EPL title.

Gabe Gala…

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/madrid-tfc/

I think that’s the most “direct” Davies has been about wanting to leave, no? 

I disagree with the notion that his agent is ruining his stature in Bayern or doing all this the wrong way, but I do think someone should’ve passed along a very clear message to not fraternize with the club who everyone knows you want to go to, during the most important games of the season, anywhere near a camera. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think that’s the most “direct” Davies has been about wanting to leave, no? 

I disagree with the notion that his agent is ruining his stature in Bayern or doing all this the wrong way, but I do think someone should’ve passed along a very clear message to not fraternize with the club who everyone knows you want to go to, during the most important games of the season, anywhere near a camera. 

You are aware that Ancelotti once coached Bayern, including Neuer, for example?

Anyways, all the players, almost all, greet each other even after a loss, respectfully. We see Ancelotti smiling, but not Davies. If a Bayern fan has a problem with it, then they could see Kane talking to Bellingham and extrapolate, or a couple dozen more combinations of post-match, including with Ancelotti. If anything, all Bayern fans know his coach benched him, he came on mid 1st half as a sub, and almost won it for them. 

There's more: Ancelotti clearly came out in support of the Canadian national team after Italy was eliminated, which he said he'd follow at the World Cup. His wife is from Vancouver, they have a personal connection. 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are aware that Ancelotti once coached Bayern, including Neuer, for example?

Anyways, all the players, almost all, greet each other even after a loss, respectfully. We see Ancelotti smiling, but not Davies. If a Bayern fan has a problem with it, then they could see Kane talking to Bellingham and extrapolate, or a couple dozen more combinations of post-match, including with Ancelotti. If anything, all Bayern fans know his coach benched him, he came on mid 1st half as a sub, and almost won it for them. 

There's more: Ancelotti clearly came out in support of the Canadian national team after Italy was eliminated, which he said he'd follow at the World Cup. His wife is from Vancouver, they have a personal connection. 

It's interesting that you have been talking about how unprofessional Davies & camp's connections with Madrid and wanting to leave Bayern in general have been, and yet this stuff is okay. I don't think that it's this smoking gun for him to be photographed with Madrid players and coaches- I mean when someone like Ancelotti calls you over or says something during a game, it's probably just respectful to speak to him, and whatever they were saying was probably about the game and not about some potential transfer next year. I think it's more swapping jerseys with Tchouameni last game- players do this all the time, but maybe you meet him in the hallway after the game and swap?

Anyways, I don't think it's a big deal either way, this is what players do, but game 1, Davies plays for like 5 minutes, and yet the story is that he's laughing it up with Madrid players after the game. Game 2, Davies scores a beautiful goal that proves he can play winger against the best of the best, and the story on social media is that he was seen having a nice convo with Ancelotti during what looks like the middle of the game? I don't doubt that Ancelotti and Davies know each other very well, and that CA has a personal connection with him for the reasons you mention. More of a question of optics, which is what this whole transfer saga really comes down to. Not sure if there's anything he can do different and still be a respectful player to a respect-worthy opponent though.

Davies no doubt will probably leave especially after Bayern just lost to Real Madrid and honestly I thought Bayern would beat Real Madrid to get to the Final but Real managed to pull off the comeback of all comebacks

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's interesting that you have been talking about how unprofessional Davies & camp's connections with Madrid and wanting to leave Bayern in general have been, and yet this stuff is okay. I don't think that it's this smoking gun for him to be photographed with Madrid players and coaches- I mean when someone like Ancelotti calls you over or says something during a game, it's probably just respectful to speak to him, and whatever they were saying was probably about the game and not about some potential transfer next year. I think it's more swapping jerseys with Tchouameni last game- players do this all the time, but maybe you meet him in the hallway after the game and swap?

Anyways, I don't think it's a big deal either way, this is what players do, but game 1, Davies plays for like 5 minutes, and yet the story is that he's laughing it up with Madrid players after the game. Game 2, Davies scores a beautiful goal that proves he can play winger against the best of the best, and the story on social media is that he was seen having a nice convo with Ancelotti during what looks like the middle of the game? I don't doubt that Ancelotti and Davies know each other very well, and that CA has a personal connection with him for the reasons you mention. More of a question of optics, which is what this whole transfer saga really comes down to. Not sure if there's anything he can do different and still be a respectful player to a respect-worthy opponent though.

I guess we'd have to see the whole sequence after the game, I was not interested in watching all that. Davies said the right thing after, left it to his agent. I do think Davies and Ancelotti have met, perhaps even some summer in Vancouver, as both are regularly through after season ends.

Many clubs have a policy to not exchange shirts on the pitch, it is Barça's case, you exchange after in the tunnel, as you say. Walk on and off the field in your shirt, not the rival's. Especially for a winning team, you are celebrating with fans and not wearing your shirt, that is odd. The only exceptions we ever saw was when Messi exchanged with rivals who were Argentines, but even then he never put a rival shirt on publicly. 

In Spain today a lot of papers are saying that Madrid has a problem, since they have become happier with Mendy and think maybe he does not need to be replaced, especially at what that would cost. What AD did yesterday does not correspond, really, to what you are looking for when signing a left back.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Are we sure that pic was not photoshopped? Did anyone see it happen during the game?  

It is an AFP photo, Agence France Presse.

There are a few on their catalogue from yesterday:

https://www.afpforum.com/AFPForum/Search/Results.aspx?fst=Alphonso&pn=1&smd=8&mui=3&fto=1#pn=2&smd=8&mui=3&q=4441706156058168673_0&fst=Alphonso&fto=1&t=2&cck=a1aff2

in others from the series the agency photographer snapped off, there is Davies smiling at something Carlo says to him.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I guess we'd have to see the whole sequence after the game, I was not interested in watching all that. Davies said the right thing after, left it to his agent. I do think Davies and Ancelotti have met, perhaps even some summer in Vancouver, as both are regularly through after season ends.

Many clubs have a policy to not exchange shirts on the pitch, it is Barça's case, you exchange after in the tunnel, as you say. Walk on and off the field in your shirt, not the rival's. Especially for a winning team, you are celebrating with fans and not wearing your shirt, that is odd. The only exceptions we ever saw was when Messi exchanged with rivals who were Argentines, but even then he never put a rival shirt on publicly. 

In Spain today a lot of papers are saying that Madrid has a problem, since they have become happier with Mendy and think maybe he does not need to be replaced, especially at what that would cost. What AD did yesterday does not correspond, really, to what you are looking for when signing a left back.

Interesting and thanks for reporting back to us on what the talk is in Spain around Davies and Madrid.

I do find it interesting that what he did yesterday does not strengthen the case for Madrid to sign him, as you seem to be saying. Yes, it's not what you are looking for when you are signing a left back, but at the same time how does such a play not add to the value of Davies, scoring such a great goal at such a big moment?

The whole saga has been about Davies replacing Mendy, but after that goal my thinking is that Davies has now demonstrated he can be pushed up the field, if needed, and that could allow for Davies to be a back up to Mendy AND Vini Jr. in the short term, rather than just being a long term replacement for Mendy in the long term, if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Doesn't seem like Madrid see it that way, based on what you are saying.

Also, do you think if Bayern won the impact of that play would change the perception? 

21 hours ago, GasPed said:

Well, it was from the opposite side.  And one was the winning goal, while other just made the ending even more tragic.  That said, both goals were brilliant.

Opposite side?  Are we talking about the same goal?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Interesting and thanks for reporting back to us on what the talk is in Spain around Davies and Madrid.

I do find it interesting that what he did yesterday does not strengthen the case for Madrid to sign him, as you seem to be saying. Yes, it's not what you are looking for when you are signing a left back, but at the same time how does such a play not add to the value of Davies, scoring such a great goal at such a big moment?

The whole saga has been about Davies replacing Mendy, but after that goal my thinking is that Davies has now demonstrated he can be pushed up the field, if needed, and that could allow for Davies to be a back up to Mendy AND Vini Jr. in the short term, rather than just being a long term replacement for Mendy in the long term, if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Also, do you think if Bayern won the impact of that play would change the perception? 

Davies to Madrid on top of getting Mbappe to come aboard and you already have Bellingham, Vini Jr the list goes on and on they would be loaded

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

In the bar watching all the Madrid fans just assumed Davies had been signed. But I think beside Mbappe it's a minor narrative and I don't think most know what to do with his performance.

For me the precedent is Bale, who started as an outside defender and already before Madrid signed him from Spurs was a winger who scored. You can do it. But they don't really have space for Davies as a starting attacker if Kylian goes too. Unless he becomes the right wing or mid and you sit Rodrygo. 

Madrid is in the lucky position to not really need anyone, except maybe replace Modric and either buy or find a target like Joselu. They've gotten Courtois, Alaba and Militao back from injury. Mbappe and Davies could give them the chance for a sale. Like Rodrygo.

22 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Davies to Madrid on top of getting Mbappe to come aboard and you already have Bellingham, Vini Jr the list goes on and on they would be loaded

As they should be given their status and history in world football. And stacked as they would be out wide with Vini...Rodrygo...Mbappe.... injuries do happen and it would be good for them to feel confident in shifting Davies up and plugging Mendy in....should they lose bodies.

The problem with Madrid is that they will have the two best LWs in the world on their team, so no use to have Davies there, and if they can get the same results with Mendy at the back instead of paying what Bayern wants to AD- probably 50-70M, then they can spend that money elsewhere.

Ultimately, it's probably the same situation as David- mega interest in getting him, but once the price comes into play, suddenly the David you have at home looks a lot better.

Even if Madrid don't go in for him, if he doesn't want to stay at Bayern, there will be no shortage of big clubs that will gladly offer him a contract. He would fit in very well in the Premier League as well.

39 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I guess not.  I was talking Davies against Panama.  Sorry.

How's aboot Millar vs Leeds. 

I guess that's longer ago than I thought (Boxing Day 2023).  That happens when you get old.

49 minutes ago, frmr said:

Even if Madrid don't go in for him, if he doesn't want to stay at Bayern, there will be no shortage of big clubs that will gladly offer him a contract. He would fit in very well in the Premier League as well.

That is if Davies goes to Manchester City or Liverpool