The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Beautiful strike.

Feels like he has rarely taken this type of strike at goal for Bayern (especially the past few years). He’s always looking (or at least he’s told) to lay the ball off to superior offensive talent.

Are we going to see Davies Unleashed as we lead up to his contract being expired!?

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Right peg no less. Way to go Phonzie.

Not in the buildup, obviously, but the finish of this goal is close to being a mirror image of his wondergoal against Panama. He cuts inside and unleashes an unstoppable shot to the near side of the keeper, just inside the post. So impressive that he can do that with either leg.

These days I've seen contradictory reports in the Spanish press, often in headlines. One saying that whatever Davies is being offered at Bayern is better than what Real Madrid is offering. And that he'll likely renew under those terms.

And another saying that that Real Madrid needs to redo its fullback situation, with Carvajal 32, Lucas Vázquez 33, Mendy not playing up to par. Only Carvajal clearly has 2-3 years in him.

So Davies is the #1 option for the LB next summer, and then other names appear for the right, like Yann Couto at Girona. Who is also more an attacking threat than a stay home mid.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/chelsea/transfer-talk/news/davies-addresses-real-madrid-transfer-speculation_535270.html

"

Although Davies appears to be on Real Madrid's radar, the full-back has insisted that he is currently happy at Bayern.

"I feel very comfortable here," Davies told Kicker. "I play in an incredible team at one of the absolute top clubs in Europe. I stay focused and give everything for the team and our fans.""

"

The defender added: "In 2020, nobody really had me on their list, I was a relatively unknown quantity and I delivered. After that, the expectations of me were of course greater.

"I think that on the whole, I did justice to this, but of course not always, not in every game. There are very few players who really always manage to do that throughout their careers.

"My style of play has changed a little since then. A little less tricks, a little less dribbling, a little less risk.

"But I understand other things better today than I did four years ago. Of course, I have more experience today. But I'm still young and I want to continue learning and improving.""

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/30/football-transfer-rumours-chelsea-and-manchester-city-vie-for-alphonso-davies

"Staying with Chelsea, rumours suggest the Blues are keen on an audacious bid for Bayern Munich’s Alphonso Davies. They’d probably be looking at a fee of around £60m for the Canada left-back mind, and Manchester City and Real Madrid are reportedly circling too."

2 hours ago, Shway said:

You see how Chelsea are spending and replacing. They don't have a clue what their identity is and it shows. 

Jackson, Palmer, Nkunku, Washington are forwards who were brought in this year. 

Davies might be fine there, but David would suffer imo. 

Davies could fit in and thrive anywhere, that's not saying he'd win like at Bayern. But he would not be lost anywhere.

David would have to adjust in any of the big four leagues in a major way. He's never faced that level of defender on a regular basis. Like last week he couldn't score vs. Montpellier, probably a 2nd tier team in the big 4.

The only advantage David should hope for is going to a team where the quality, especially in build up and mids, is so high he'd score by getting the ball in optimal conditions.