Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

Yes it’s going to be free for everyone.  They want to have a giant 24,000 person party and it’s going to be great.

Co-founders get a free ticket to the first Canadian Championship game as compensation which is fair.

They expect this to be a loss leader, but 24,000 people will still buy a lot of food, beer and concessions.

The main thing they’re focusing on is expanding the base of fans and having a great in game product.

This is a visionary way to launch the league.  Simply an amazing way to start.

7 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

So apparently Forge is making the inaugural game free...

I dont get where the idea that this game is free comes from? For example I have purchased 2 tickets. I give Forge my brother's email address and they set him up with the 2 extra free tickets. I have already paid for mine and he gets the free ones. So more than half the attendees will have paid for their tickets.

Pretty smart move on their part, they get direct access to soccer fans that haven't already bought tickets and bring them out to a game in the hopes they will buy more tickets.

Also worth noting this is available to people that purchased flex packs. So for as little as $60 you can get a ticket to the home opener, 2 home games of your choice, and the Canadian championship game.

Edited by Stryker911

20 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Yes it’s going to be free for everyone.  They want to have a giant 24,000 person party and it’s going to be great.

Co-founders get a free ticket to the first Canadian Championship game as compensation which is fair.

They expect this to be a loss leader, but 24,000 people will still buy a lot of food, beer and concessions.

The main thing they’re focusing on is expanding the base of fans and having a great in game product.

This is a visionary way to launch the league.  Simply an amazing way to start.

The big winner will be how many of those free attendees turn into multi-game purchasers or even SSHs.  It's a bold, once in a lifetime strategy and I think it will pay off in concessions alone.  The way it's shaping it is going to be a can't miss event, rather than a big event.  I said it before, the optics of this event are more important than anything - this is going to be picked up by TSN or another mainstream network.  People will be seeing a packed 23,000 stadium rocking for a derby and then switch over to watch TFC v Portland after the match.  Let's just hope for a high quality game, I'm sure both teams are going to treat it as a cup final.  

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

The big winner will be how many of those free attendees turn into multi-game purchasers or even SSHs.  It's a bold, once in a lifetime strategy and I think it will pay off in concessions alone.  The way it's shaping it is going to be a can't miss event, rather than a big event.  I said it before, the optics of this event are more important than anything - this is going to be picked up by TSN or another mainstream network.  People will be seeing a packed 23,000 stadium rocking for a derby and then switch over to watch TFC v Portland after the match.  Let's just hope for a high quality game, I'm sure both teams are going to treat it as a cup final.  

Sometimes TFC draw 23000 out of 30000 for a non-glamour team in the early season...so numbers may be comparable this one-time.    

Just now, Rocket Robin said:

Sometimes TFC draw 23000 out of 30000 for a non-glamour team in the early season...so numbers may be comparable this one-time.    

A ton of TFC SSHs will be making the trip to Hamilton for this one match as well, even if they may not for other conflicts.  I am not so worried about the actual number but instead how it "looks" on TV.  People typically file into BMO late anyway, I think that TFC game will be looking empty (especially if they have a weak start to the season).  Meanwhile I think the CPL match is going to have a "cup final" feel to it.  I'm sure MediaPro will be going all hands on deck for the first game as well, making the most of the broadcast.  

26 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I can follow the reasoning for the initiative without agreeing with it.

Yeah....but I'm not buying into this.  Sorry.

There seems to be some uncertainty as to the details. Personally, I'm not a fan of free tickets: I think there should at least be a token charge; I mean, who would baulk at five bucks if they have some interest? If you get something for nothing, you perceive it to have no value. But if the deal is a "twofer" I think it is a fabulous idea to get the stadium packed for that first game.

.......Its A Bold Strategy Cotton, Lets See If It Pays Off For 'Em......

Just the thought that occurred to me in the moment.....(ha ha ha).....on a more serious note, it's a bit of a gamble, the optics will look good if the place is filled with people and noise and the game "shows" well on TV -- hopefully on a more mainstream network (CBC?/TSN?!) to get as many eyeballs as possible seeing it.....the issue is whether people who get in for free will then be less inclined to pay for the product afterwards when asked for $25+ a seat for individual games.....it's the argument in Toronto about the Argos "giving away" tickets to get people in to see the product (which happens quite a lot through various promotions), most people did not magically translate into STH or future ticket buyers as the numbers have shown.....they went for the deal or when it it was free and didn't come back in any great numbers afterwards......big picture it's a nice platform for the league to be launched with - whether that actually translates into more eyeballs watching a month later or more tickets being sold is another question......the bottom line is if there was such pent-up demand and all the 10,000 lower bowl seats were gone so as to necessitate opening up the upper-bowl for more people to attend, those tickets would be being sold and not given away --- to think they are being given away for any other reason than to "paper the house" and make it look full is a little naive in my opinion -- it's a nice gesture but in my opinion its also a necessary  one --- it won't surprise me if you see similar types of promotions with other teams in the league in order to make sure there is a sense of an event at launch for most of these teams as it would look horrendous if any of the "Home Openers" are half full, and the press surrounding such will not be great (.....additional "free tickets" for  "friends and family" of STH as a "thank you" is a common tactic when sales are low --- it's really seen as another means of trying to drum up more sales/names to call --- the Argos have done this in the past when I was a STH for them too since moving to BMO - obviously it did not work as ST sales have gone down from 2016-2018 and that included a GC Winning season in the middle)........

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I can follow the reasoning for the initiative without agreeing with it.

Yeah....but I'm not buying into this.  Sorry.

Ticket sales for the flexi pack they were pushing were probably not going too well before they would have resorted to this. Using freebies to entice people is something that definitely doesn't have a great track record where soccer is concerned in North America.

2 hours ago, Team Canada said:

.......the bottom line is if there was such pent-up demand and all the 10,000 lower bowl seats were gone so as to necessitate opening up the upper-bowl for more people to attend, those tickets would be being sold and not given away --- to think they are being given away for any other reason than to "paper the house" and make it look full is a little naive in my opinion -- it's a nice gesture but in my opinion its also a necessary  one --- it won't surprise me if you see similar types of promotions with other teams in the league in order to make sure there is a sense of an event at launch for most of these teams as it would look horrendous if any of the "Home Openers" are half full,.....

If the Forge were playing in an 8,000 seat pop-up they wouldn't be doing this. THF is going to be an ongoing issue in optics terms because it is simply way too big for a CanPL team to fill on paid attendance alone.

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/9207652-hamilton-s-forge-fc-won-t-charge-for-tickets-to-cpl-s-inaugural-soccer-game-that-s-right-free/

...And it should be a significant number.

Afinec said that Forge FC "is trending" toward 5-6,000" season tickets by Opening Day and confirmed to The Spectator earlier this week that actual sales have already surpassed 4,000 season tickets. So even at maximum redemption the offer will likely result in only about 10,000 tickets reserved.

The normal soccer configuration — the lower blocks, plus club seats and suites — has a maximum capacity of 10,016. However, Forge FC will open the stadium's upper decks for Opening Day only....

It has not yet been decided on which platform(s) the Forge-York game will be broadcast....

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If the Forge were playing in an 8,000 seat pop-up they wouldn't be doing this. THF is going to be an ongoing issue in optics terms because it is simply way too big for a CanPL team to fill on paid attendance alone.

First sentence: correct. Second sentence: no. 

It's not even relevant cause they would cover to upper decks, as they have planned to all along. So there's no slow ticket sales or what not.

This one game is just a marketing ploy. For a lot of people who don't follow soccer that much, all they will remember is that Canada has it's own Premiere League and how it looked on that first day. This will set the tone for years to come. Smart move. 

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

Well, that's annoying. Booked a trip to the GTHA to watch this match, but now I feel like it's unlikely I'll even be able to get tickets.

Totally understand why they would do that, but it's still annoying.

Guess it'll be a good thing that TFC is also playing in the end.

Jamie is taking names for a specific Vs section. Just DM him. Anyone else who needs a ticket should do the same. 

Hold on a minute ... maybe we are supposed to book with James Hutton ourselves. I’ll ask Jamie. 

9548094C-CA37-45CA-80F0-32A020A2F24E.png

Edited by rob.notenboom

2 hours ago, Sébastien said:

Well, that's annoying. Booked a trip to the GTHA to watch this match, but now I feel like it's unlikely I'll even be able to get tickets.

Totally understand why they would do that, but it's still annoying.

Guess it'll be a good thing that TFC is also playing in the end.

No worries about getting a ticket, if you are having issues pm me and I’ll give you one of my extras!

I am of two minds about this whole give away thing, I get what they are trying to do, optics and all but what if this backfires? There is no guarantee that this won’t be a shitty cold and wet spring day in The Hammer causing many of the people with freebies not to bother showing, I am not sure even in good weather there will be 24,000 people interested in going! The other concern someone raised is free tickets cheapens the perception of the product and can piss off paying customers, the Argos know all about that! I guess I’ll just have to trust Bob Young and his marketing team, they do know a thing or two about promoting events!

7 hours ago, longlugan said:

Do you get paid by the dumbass post or is it lump sum?

You obviously knew full well like everyone else here he was going to spin this in a negative way and make a post like that. Don't take that bait.

Purchasing the flex pack allows you to choose ANY three games, the home opener isn't mandatory so his analysis is flawed as usual. 

Edited by Macksam

50 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Jamie is taking names for a specific Vs section. Just DM him. Anyone else who needs a ticket should do the same. 

Hold on a minute ... maybe we are supposed to book with James Hutton ourselves. I’ll ask Jamie. 

9548094C-CA37-45CA-80F0-32A020A2F24E.png

Yes @Sébastien contact James directly for a seat in that section and he will put you on the list. 

The problem with freebies isn’t a one time “giveaway” for a big home opener; It is a continual giveaway of tickets every game. People then begin to expect free tickets every once and a while and won’t pay full price. My family once went to the Edmonton Trappers baseball games 4 games in a row with free tickets. It’s the continuous giveaways that degrade the value of a ticket.

I feel the same way about “promotions”. FC Edmonton had a $20 ticket that included a hot dog and a pop. I went to many games using that and loved it. The problem was seasons ticket holders were pissed off that I was getting food for a ticket at essentially the price that they paid for their seasons tickets. The teams need to make 100% sure that they don’t undercut the seasons ticket holders in any way. One time game promotions for special events are ok, but not continual promotions.

overall, I think what Hamilton is doing is amazing. It will be great to show people what soccer can be. But they can’t do this again, not next year or ever.

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

1 hour ago, gator said:

I am of two minds about this whole give away thing, I get what they are trying to do, optics and all but what if this backfires? There is no guarantee that this won’t be a shitty cold and wet spring day in The Hammer causing many of the people with freebies not to bother showing, I am not sure even in good weather there will be 24,000 people interested in going! The other concern someone raised is free tickets cheapens the perception of the product and can piss off paying customers, the Argos know all about that! I guess I’ll just have to trust Bob Young and his marketing team, they do know a thing or two about promoting events!

Don't worry the accuweather forecast has it covered ???

AY

17°HIRealFeel® 21°Precipitation 15%

Intervals of clouds and sunshine
Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

I just talked to a Forge representative this morning. In a nutshell, right now you need to be a season ticket holder or flex pack buyer to guarantee your ticket to the opener.

Single tickets to the opener will be available in 3 to 4 weeks according to him.

Marketing strategy 101 (pay attention @BringBackTheBlizzard)

• Free inaugural game
  • CREATES demand - buzz
  • Potential to create a scarcity of tickets--> Raises perceived value if there's more people wanting to attend vs. the amount of tickets available
  • Marketing basics is like this --> You are more likely to convert people to commit into buying a product or service if you give them added value (something free and / extra) --> ex... Order for 50$ and you get...free bracelet
  • Fear of missing out the opener is an incentive to buy a flex pack (almost gave in this morning and I don't live in Hamilton)
  • All of this is a strategy to drive up season tickets and flex packs sales
  • Initial investment (free game) for long term gain (season and Flex = Upfront guaranteed cashflow + sales of food and drink + merchandise sale)
  • CPL is a new league, Forge should be applauded for being this bold to ensure that their stadiums gets packed throughout the season, not criticized.
  • You only get 1 "first impression". A sold out stadium does just that!
  • Just Saying "it's free"... well you give me free tickets to curling, Marlies or TFC II and I'm still not going.This is aimed at the casual & curious. These are the people you need to convert.  Hardcodes and soccer fans were always going to pay and check it out.

Sorry but just tired of reading unjustified criticism from people who don't know Marketing 101.

Edited by Ansem

• RS locked this topic