Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

Cisse looks like an absolutely class signing for the league. 23 and 12 caps for Senegal. Surely the most impressive signing for the league yet? 

That said I did a quick look up and everywhere has him as a CB and I can only see him getting 1 full cap. (Transfermarkt) might just be they dont have their finger on the pulse with the Senegalese national league and international games!

It looks like he has 6 games for Senegal with one of them being a non fifa game against Mali.

He had 4 caps for Africa Nations Qualifying as their starting CB.

I guess this is the big CB that we can expect for this team.

We suddenly have a competitive looking backline with

Awuah. Cisse.  Owundi.   Samuel/ Grant.

That doesn’t look bad.

We still certainly need a primary scoring option but the pieces are starting to look decent.  

22 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Any caps he got with Senegal senior team were obviously with a roster composed of local players..outfield players from local leagues arent getting called to the 1st senior team with all the players available in europe

He started 4 Africa Nations Qualifying matches, a friendly vs Mexico and against Mali.

The ANQ games are a competitive level for sure but to be eligible you have to play in a domestic league.  So it’s like an all star team of domestic players.

Edited by baulderdash77

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It looks like he has 6 games for Senegal with one of them being a non fifa game against Mali.

He had 4 caps for Africa Nations Qualifying as their starting CB.

I guess this is the big CB that we can expect for this team.

We suddenly have a competitive looking backline with

Awuah. Cisse.  Owundi.   Samuel/ Grant.

That doesn’t look bad.

We still certainly need a primary scoring option but the pieces are starting to look decent.  

Hopefully the Babouli rumours are true, that would fill the void.

I've also always rated Awuah more as a Defensive midfielder.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I get it. Much like the CPL. 

I think it say more about the quality of the national team players than it does about the quality of Senegalese domestic league. Most of their national team players are playing in the top leagues in Europe.

Yep. I'd like to see us do a domestic Canada camp though or canada B. I'm still disappointed and feel it's a missed opportunity we didnt do two camps (one for north American based player and one for the European) when herdman took over. Why not get herdman in front of and work with as many people as possible. Have them meet him and vice versa. Sell the new ideas and build the player pool. I know like everything else money is an issue. 

Anyways back on topic. Think forge will run away with the title this year. 

On 2/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, lazlo_80 said:

Forge sign Triston Henry and Dom Samuel. Keep that sigma train rollin'

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-signs-goalkeeper-triston-henry-and-defender-dominic-samuel

Well Sigma defender Kyle Walton, midfielders Charlie Anagho-Ntamark and Justin Stoddart, and forward Daniel Jodah all passed the October 2nd open trials in Hamilton and goalie Baj Mann (Sigma U-21) passed the October 12th trials in Vaughan.  All important members in L1O play.  C A-N would count as an import as he came over from England to play the 2018 season.    

7 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Well, now that the schedule is out, I'm investigating a trip out to Halifax for the end of August. Swoop flights there and back as of this post will set you back 236.51 right now. Issue now is renting a car and hotel

Not sure if you know this already but if you're not planning on leaving Halifax you don't really need a car. The city is very walkable despite the hills and the stadium is very central. 

8 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Well, now that the schedule is out, I'm investigating a trip out to Halifax for the end of August. Swoop flights there and back as of this post will set you back 236.51 right now. Issue now is renting a car and hotel

I'm looking at being out in Halifax that week as well.  I'll be in the home end though.  ?

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not sure if you know this already but if you're not planning on leaving Halifax you don't really need a car. The city is very walkable despite the hills and the stadium is very central. 

Agreed, a car in Halifax is more of a nuisance unless you have reason to head out into the rest of NS or the suburbs.

A few items from Forge to Members...1) training camp starts Tuesday 2) they're on track to having their year-one goal of having 5,000 to 6,000 co-founders for the reduced stadium capacity of 10,000 for Forge games 3) there will be info early next week about their plans to make the inaugural game "one of the biggest sporting events in the history of the city." 

Not that Forge would ever resort to hyperbole, but that would make the match in line with the first Empire Games (now Commonwealth Games), Grey Cups, and Canada Cup (Gretzky to Lemieux).

Also, for those in the Hamilton area, throughout March are Friday pub nights where co-founders can meet coaches and players.

I don't think that's in, based on the actual email :

MILESTONE ANNOUNCEMENT NEXT WEEK: This one is big. We'll give you a hint: It involves the CPL's Inaugural Match at Tim Hortons Field on Saturday, April 27. We've got plans to make this one of the biggest sporting events in the history of the city. You're going to play a big role in this, Co-Founders! No more hints, we'll leave it at that!

• RS locked this topic