Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

1 hour ago, gator said:

Rollins is tweeting that Emery Welshman has been loaned to Forge from Cincinnati!

Makes sense from Cincinnati's perspective as they just signed Kenny Saief who I think plays the same kind of position as Welshman - interesting though to see loans from non-Canadian MLS teams to CPL franchises.

44 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Makes sense from Cincinnati's perspective as they just signed Kenny Saief who I think plays the same kind of position as Welshman - interesting though to see loans from non-Canadian MLS teams to CPL franchises.

I'm not sure how much control Koch has over these kinds of things, but he spent a lot of time in the Canadian system, and I could see him sending Welshman to a CPL team instead of a USL team to help raise the standard for CPL. I could be reading too much into this though

22 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

David Choinière is a huge signing. An MLS-level player who missed most of the last 2 seasons with an injury. Forge fans are really going to enjoy watching this guy play.

I think this is the start of a trend.

Canadians good enough to play in MLS but not getting minutes will see CPL as a better option then being sent down to USL.

Clocking minutes and being a star in a D1 league at home has more value than TFC II or Ottawa or other USL league. A successful season one may very well convince Canadians overseas who might be on the fence at this point.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Canadians good enough to play in MLS but not getting minutes will see CPL as a better option then being sent down to USL.

Clocking minutes and being a star in a D1 league at home has more value than TFC II or Ottawa or other USL league. A successful season one may very well convince Canadians overseas who might be on the fence at this point.

I hope so. But I think it depends on the result of their performances. If a few people from this league turn a good season into transfers to bigger leagues that would be the best way to show other players that this league could help get them where they want to be. 

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

i think age is a factor. both choiniere and felfer are over 21 and being a "prospect" on a development team gets tiring and usl begins to only make sense if your recovering from injury.

hopefully it also causes the mls teams to get more serious about getting the u21s ready for the mls 1st teams

Edited by matty

49 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Unnecessarily unfair. That probably has more to do with injuries than talent.

That’s correct. Choinière suffered a serious ankle injury in January 2017 while training with the CMNT and because of that injury made only a few appearances for the Impact that year, but nonetheless scored a goal against Vancouver in the Canadian championship (see the video of that goal, posted above by Ansem). In April of 2018 he underwent an operation on his ankle and was forced to sit out all the rest of the 2018 season.

Edited by Grandbloke

6 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

That’s correct. Choinière suffered a serious ankle injury in January 2017 while training with the CMNT and because of that injury made only a few appearances for the Impact that year, but nonetheless scored a goal against Vancouver in the Canadian championship (see the video of that goal, posted above by Ansem). In April of 2018 he underwent an operation on his ankle and was forced to sit out all the rest of the 2018 season.

Nothing shows that Choiniere is mls level..only one start and many times on the bench or not in the 18 when he was healthy

I think both are correct. The cause may be injuries, but as of yet he's not shown to be of MLS-calibre. Let's hope he'll get the chance to show he really is. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Add in Richie Laryea and Emery Welshman to follow Q Roberts and Choiniere and the reasons for the Forge going more slowly than some of the others on signing announcements will have become clear and paid off big time. Good news if you are a Forge fan but potentially problematic elsewhere in competitive parity terms.

This quote will have even more validity should FC Edmonton come last. Followed by York 9 FC... Will have to wait a while for that.

• RS locked this topic