General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

between the great support in the game against French Guiana (no shade towards Toronto), the large stadium capacity, as well as some of the things media people are saying in vancouver about the prospects of more NT games coming to the city (very positive)...i'd be shocked if BC Place isn't the clear frontrunner for the home game vs the US.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Is this a concern? Real question for anybody who knows. When was the last time Canada sold out a home game? I think probably the Mexico game in Vancouver and probably a certain 1985 game in St. John's. Any other examples?

Canada/Jamaica in '08 was definitely a sellout.  Canada/Panama in '12 might have been, if not it was close.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Chile was quite an atmosphere at the U20s.  I remember Honduras in qualifying awhile back as well.  I'm always close to the supporters sections anyways.

The bad Honduras match was in Montreal - they couldn't even fill out the old north end at BMO back in 2012.

2 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

What’s with the hate on turf on this board, and from North Americans who teams play on grass in general.

The players hate it as it causes more injuries

Just now, admin said:

Because it is terrible.  It really is.  I hate watching games on it, and I cringe watching out national team players on it. 

Why though it’s a pristine surface I don’t know if the turf in bc place is of a peticular shitty quality but the newer turf fields are generally of a pretty high quality 

4 minutes ago, saladroit said:

between the great support in the game against French Guiana (no shade towards Toronto), the large stadium capacity, as well as some of the things media people are saying in vancouver about the prospects of more NT games coming to the city (very positive)...i'd be shocked if BC Place isn't the clear frontrunner for the home game vs the US.

Give Toronto an important opponent like the USA or Mexico, promote the hell out of it, and watch it sell out.

6 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

I think our group is one where the host city is irrelevant.  Not really a large Cuban ex-pat community in Canada, and Cuban-Americans, much like all Americans, won't have any more trouble travelling to Vancouver or Edmonton than they would travelling to Toronto.

1) If we have two home games in one window, we may play Cuba in Montreal and the USA in Toronto.

Besides all our personal views, does our program take into considerations what are players would prefer.

1) I can't imagine any player wanting to play on turf.  Any player!

2) Most of the NT grew up in the GTA.  I believe they are in favour of Toronto!

Again no bias here!

3 minutes ago, theaub said:

Canada/Jamaica in '08 was definitely a sellout.  Canada/Panama in '12 might have been, if not it was close.

Looks like you are right about the Jamaica game. 21k fans. The Panama game though was not. Just 17k, but I do remember it being a magical night. Was a healthy crowd, largely cheering for Canada (which was still pretty novel at the time, or at least to me), got the win, and DeRo scored a record breaking goal!

1 minute ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Why though it’s a pristine surface I don’t know if the turf in bc place is of a peticular shitty quality but the newer turf fields are generally of a pretty high quality 

It's not grass.  It doesn't deform, doesn't tear.  

Watch a player heading to the sideline chasing a ball on turf, and on grass.  

Watch for the mincy little steps they do because they can't plant, they can't afford to get caught in it. 

Once you start to notice those mincy little steps and the things they avoid, it becomes frustrating to watch. 

As much as I'd love to have the game(s) in Toronto so that I can go, I also wouldn't be against spreading it to other areas, especially newly minted CPL areas. Winnipeg or Hamilton could be good for the USA match because they have big stadiums. Halifax for the Cuba match would be cool since I imagine the opponent would matter less in a small stadium in a market that isn't used to getting national team games. They could probably get a good turn out there. Let's find where our home field advantage is in this country!