General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Exactly what I was thinking. It's not the group of death, it's the group of defections. Hopefully Cuba doesn't have to play their 2 away games in one window, they might not have enough players to play the second game.

I agree, Group D looks like the closest thing to a Group of Death, IMHO.

7 minutes ago, theaub said:

Any combination that puts Group A and B on different sides lol

Yeah, seems they left their CONCACAF options open.

CONCACAF: "So Mexico and USA don't have to play against teams that are too far beneath them, we'll skip them into League A. We can say all Hex teams make it in."

Consultant: "OK, so then I guess Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras will get seeded into the 4 groups since they were the top 4 teams in the Hex."

CONCACAF: "Um, that won't work. Let's use CONCACAF Ranking for that part."

Consultant: "OK then. I assume we will have a draw to place all the other teams into a bracket?"

CONCACAF: "Um, sure, we can do the draw for the groups, but let's hold off on how we will determine which semi-final teams are played in. I think there are a few ways we could do it and we'll pick the one that makes the most sense after the draw."

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Or Edmonton or Montreal. It's not a game where I think we have to worry about the stadium being overrun by opposition supporters.

I've been to a few Canada games over the years where Canada seems like the away team in Toronto!  Great diversity & culture which our NT represents but also not the best home environment!  But I do think that many of the players enjoy it as it is home for a lot of them.

Edited by Corazon

Glad we avoided Mexico and Martinique. Nice to see 2 of Honduras' 4 group stage matches won't earn FIFA ranking points. ?

Interesting to see that the groups almost ended up exactly the way the teams were seeded in each pot. Our group was a perfect match (the 2nd seed from each pot ended up together), Costa Rica's group was a perfect match (3rd seed in each pot ended up together), 2 of the top seeds from their pots ended up together (Mexico, Panama), and 2 of the bottom seeds from their pots ended up together (Honduras, T&T).

Edited by jtpc

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

I've been to a few Canada games over the years where Canada seems like the away team in Toronto!  Great diversity & culture which our NT represents but also not the best home environment!  But I do the many of the players enjoy it as it is home for many.

I think our group is one where the host city is irrelevant.  Not really a large Cuban ex-pat community in Canada, and Cuban-Americans, much like all Americans, won't have any more trouble travelling to Vancouver or Edmonton than they would travelling to Toronto.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

I've been to a few Canada games over the years where Canada seems like the away team in Toronto!  Great diversity & culture which our NT represents but also not the best home environment!  But I do the many of the players enjoy it as it is home for many.

So have I, but that hasn't happened in Toronto for a long time now. It certainly wasn't the case when we played the US at BMO field in 2012 or whenever it was. I don't think it would be any different now unless the concern is that Toronto fans would start cheering en masse for the US because of Bradley and Altidore or something, but I can't see that happening.

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I've been to a few Canada games over the years where Canada seems like the away team in Toronto!  Great diversity & culture which our NT represents but also not the best home environment!  But I do think that many of the players enjoy it as it is home for a lot of them.

I don't think this has been an issue for at least 10 years.

Although there hasn't been a useful match in Toronto since the Gold Cup in '15.

2 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I wouldn't be against against it tbh... too small tho :(

It was sarcasm. Its perfectly fine to have the game at BC place

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

We have not had such a game at BMO, save for maybe the U20 WC. 

1 minute ago, devioustrevor said:

I think our group is one where the host city is irrelevant.  Not really a large Cuban ex-pat community in Canada, and Cuban-Americans, much like all Americans, won't have any more trouble travelling to Vancouver or Edmonton than they would travelling to Toronto.

There is a somewhat small Cuban Canadian population in Toronto but nothing like many other countries we could have drawn.

1 minute ago, LeoH037 said:

I wouldn't be against against it tbh... too small tho :(

Is this a concern? Real question for anybody who knows. When was the last time Canada sold out a home game? I think probably the Mexico game in Vancouver and probably a certain 1985 game in St. John's. Any other examples?

2 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

I'm glad we got the Americans. Now is a great time to start a rivalry on the Men's side. When's the last time we played them?  2011?

That was the last official game. We played a friendly in 2016

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

So have I, but that hasn't happened in Toronto for a long time now. It certainly wasn't the case when we played the US at BMO field in 2012 or whenever it was. I don't think it would be any different now unless the concern is that Toronto fans would start cheering en masse for the US because of Bradley and Altidore or something, but I can't see that happening.

I agree with you.  We won't see that again but regardless Toronto is always going to have the most away support.

1 minute ago, admin said:

We have not had such a game at BMO, save for maybe the U20 WC. 

Chile was quite an atmosphere at the U20s.  I remember Honduras in qualifying awhile back as well.  I'm always close to the supporters sections anyways.