Jonathan David

Vince193

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

So what's the deal here, does he have a bad deal or relationship with Nike?  Is he sponsored by Adidas or another?  This was obviously premeditated.

This is probably related to the dispute with the CSA too.

David is obviously ripping Nike (and the CSA in a round about way) because we are the only World Cup squad not getting an updated kit.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

This is probably related to the dispute with the CSA too.

David is obviously ripping Nike (and the CSA in a round about way) because we are the only World Cup squad not getting an updated kit.

He is sponsored by Adidas and Canada was the only club not to get an updated kit.  How is it possible 1 nation in the world cup didn't get an updated kit?  That is a bit insulting.  That said, I like our kit and I'm fine that we didn't get a new one..lol. 

1 minute ago, jhoops__ said:

Love our kits too, especially the black ones.  Still not sure why, in todays time of rapid manufacturing, we couldn’t get a new kit developed…

I know alot of people like the black kits, but to me it looks like a black T-shirt with the Canada crest slapped on. Same with the white one. At least the red sas some visible patterning near the shoulders.  Black uni looks like a training kit to me

20 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I know alot of people like the black kits, but to me it looks like a black T-shirt with the Canada crest slapped on. Same with the white one. At least the red sas some visible patterning near the shoulders.  Black uni looks like a training kit to me

I can see that but our best moments are in those black ones though…

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

Big facts. The main thing is that they are just simple templates with the logo slapped on them and prices at $200 for “authentic”…when you can get the jersey for $60 and stick a patch on it.

I suspect Herdman has used the Nike situation as a tool to distract from the contract situation. Smart and actually makes sense. If not for a useless sponsor like Nike we’d be able to make more $ and then there would be more pie to share.

Nike is pathetic honestly. How do you put money into commercials etc for Canada soccer but no kit for the World Cup? For such a large corporation it’s terrible business. Almost seems like they just wanted to lock in Davies and 2026 but could care less otherwise.

33 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

This is really starting to pick up steam...

(Apologies for the "spam")

I don't know how it works but shouldn't he be hiding the Canada Soccer logo? It's not like Nike came out with a free kit for 31 nations and decided no not for you Canada, we don't believe you're a WC team. I think it's more like the other 31 nations decided to shell out the shekels  for a new outfit  but our association was too busy giving away sponsorship rights to the CSB to worry about paying for a new kit.

but like I said I don't know how it works.

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know how it works but shouldn't he be hiding the Canada Soccer logo? It's not like Nike came out with a free kit for 31 nations and decided no not for you Canada, we don't believe you're a WC team. I think it's more like the other 31 nations decided to shell out the shekels  for a new outfit  but our association was too busy giving away sponsorship rights to the CSB to worry about paying for a new kit.

You clearly don’t. Countries don’t pay their sponsors for a kit. 

Nike didn’t make the 31 other kits but for the ones they did they certainly did make their kits and said “whatever” to us.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Follow the money to learn how it works. Nike makes the bulk of the money and also the bulk of the risk in terms of producing/selling national team football kits. So, they drive the process from beginning to end (Nike's kit release day).

Distributors like Fanatics/retail stores are next in the money line but also take some risk of selling off unsold inventory that you'll see post World Cup in Winners.

Canada Soccer gets a royalty for use of its logo on the kit - less than 10%/kit sold. If you're national team shirt that has historically sold well like Nigeria, Nike will provide an additional payment of US$1 million+. Canada Soccer also gets kits/equipment for national teams usage in kind to discounted rates.

Nike may ask Canada Soccer/players for design input and ask for final sign off. Nike designers have noted that many times their designs are watered down because old men running the federations aren't the most in tune with current fashion or too risk averse. But a Nike exec at the US kit release day also seems to imply that design isn't that important to them: "People always hate the new jerseys at first. Then your team wins its first game, and it’s the best jersey they’ve ever had."

Edited by red card

3 hours ago, narduch said:

People trying to make this an Adidas v Nike thing are totally off the mark 

Agreed to a certain extent, but you’re not going to see Alphonso Davies cover the Nike logo.

David being an Adidas athlete adds another layer to this whole thing.

7 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Rick Westhead is reading this post between the lines right now.

Expect an article Tuesday morn on how the CSA is hoarding Israeli currency as a guarantee against Qatar 2022.

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The players seem to care.  And that is good enough for me.  

The players could be less cranky, don't you think?

You've got to be able to go to war with whatever you have on.

I also don't mind fans going rag tag with this or that shirt from the past.

How are things in PEI, hope everyone is doing alright?

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The players could be less cranky, don't you think?

You've got to be able to go to war with whatever you have on.

I also don't mind fans going rag tag with this or that shirt from the past.

How are things in PEI, hope everyone is doing alright?

It is a goddamn mess here.  Personally we got away very well - lost and apple tree and a bunch of branches down but nothing happened to the house or car.   Power is out and will be for a couple of days so probably losing 2 freezers worth of food - but other than that we are good.  Took a lot of precautions and they paid off (a large branch fell where the car was parked before I moved it closer to the house).  The biggest thing for us was that we had. I cell service for a long time.   With phone now coming in over internet (which does with the power) we were incommunicado until this afternoon.  

Lots weren’t as lucky.  Trees down everywhere, power lines and poles snapped, structural damage to pits of buildings.  Fiona was a real bitch.  I am even going to have to watch the game against Uruguay at my brothers and listen to him complain about soccer.  

Thanks for asking.   Been a taxing couple of days.