Jonathan David

Vince193

David was proving to be the only player up top who could hold on to the ball. But I am not surprised that he was taken off given their next match on Sunday and given how much running David was asked to do in that first half when he was the only player who was actually pressing effectively.

Although the PK call was awful, someone needs to tell Renato Sanchez that he can't live off his Euro 2016 reputation forever. He should have just gone to get the ball and cleaned it out of there instead of doing his best Weeping Angel impersonation and standing there like statue for the Argentinian twit (who was obviously looking to make amends for his gaffe that gifted Weah with the goal) to deliberately trip over. Although the method to get the win was dubious with that goal, Ajax was by far  the better team on the day. Lille definitely missed Andre in the middle while they could really use Yilmaz up top to given them another dimension up there rather than having to throw their CB's up top with 10 minutes to go in the first leg of a two-leg match. Soumare was very poor and Reinildo very hesitant with the ball (both unusually so), and Bamba and Yazici were completely ineffective. Ikone & Araujo did very little when they came on, put all that together and its somewhat of a shock they only lost 2-1 with a bogus PK

Edited by Gian-Luca

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Scandal of a call, disgraceful that he checked it and gave it. That is premeditated incompetence. My 2 Spanish commentators were shocked. 

The way he was directing players while the call was under review I got the feeling he'd decided he wasn't going to change the call no matter what he saw on the video, so I wasn't as surprised as the commentators.

David seems to be a player who elevates his game based on the level of his teammates. If his team is bad, he doesn't seem to really be the type of player to make much of a difference. If his team is playing well, he's usually the best player. This probably doesn't help him much with Lille considering how they seem to squeek out wins, but in the future if he plays with better players on better teams he should be able to really shine.

11 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

The more I watch Sanches the clearer it becomes why he didn't make it at Bayern...

The one-two to David notwithstanding, Sanches plays possession almost to the point where he's trying to show off. Nothing wrong with stepping in and hoofing the ball away for a clearance but it's like he want's to finesse his way out of a jam all the time. 

3 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

The one-two to David notwithstanding, Sanches plays possession almost to the point where he's trying to show off. Nothing wrong with stepping in and hoofing the ball away for a clearance but it's like he want's to finesse his way out of a jam all the time. 

That's what's frustrating. Extremely talented player, but man, just doesn't seem to be able to keep things simple... his judgement is something else... there are times when a simple pass is enough. At times he loses possession not because the opponent took the ball from him, its cause he tripped himself.