Jonathan David

Vince193

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

No idea if this is the actual reason, but from watching Lille games it would seem that David is getting a bit of a reputation for going down pretty easily.  Not a big fan of this development in his game personally.

Again, no idea if the ref knew this about David and if that factored in at all but you can see that he is getting fewer and fewer calls in Ligue 1 these days.

It was the same at Gent. Difference was that he got the calls.

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

No idea if this is the actual reason, but from watching Lille games it would seem that David is getting a bit of a reputation for going down pretty easily.  Not a big fan of this development in his game personally.

Again, no idea if the ref knew this about David and if that factored in at all but you can see that he is getting fewer and fewer calls in Ligue 1 these days.

Agree with most of that.  Though it may be handy in CONCACAF.  

And in fairness to him, it seemed like he started doing it when he was really struggling to have an impact.  He probably saw it as a way to benefit his team when things just weren’t happening for him.     

11 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Even if such a reputation exists, I doubt the lack of an initial call was anything to do with that. I think it's more a case that the Ref was out of position to see that it wasn't a shoulder-to-shoulder play but a clear shove from behind. Alternatively, it might also be a case of Lille being victimized by "big club" syndrome, with Ajax (by far a bigger club historically than the likes of Lille) getting the sort of breaks on PK decisions or other calls that I think Milan got against Borjan's club on the same day, or which the likes of Juventus have enjoyed for the past 40-50 years in Serie A.

What was interesting to me is that the VAR ref thought it was such an obvious PK that he got the Ref to stop the match during play, rather than waiting for a stoppage. That's something I'd not seen before.

11 hours ago, El Hombre said:

He probably is, but for good reason: that is a big part of his game. He doesn't dive but he goes down when he feels that he is fouled. He has won a lot of penalties/free kicks and he will win a lot more in his career. When he gets the call, you have to give him credit. When he doesn't it's a simple lost ball.

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Even if such a reputation exists, I doubt the lack of an initial call was anything to do with that. I think it's more a case that the Ref was out of position to see that it wasn't a shoulder-to-shoulder play but a clear shove from behind. Alternatively, it might also be a case of Lille being victimized by "big club" syndrome, with Ajax (by far a bigger club historically than the likes of Lille) getting the sort of breaks on PK decisions or other calls that I think Milan got against Borjan's club on the same day, or which the likes of Juventus have enjoyed for the past 40-50 years in Serie A.

What was interesting to me is that the VAR ref thought it was such an obvious PK that he got the Ref to stop the match during play, rather than waiting for a stoppage. That's something I'd not seen before.

The cynic in me wonders it the ref thought "Eh, if that's a penalty I'll let VAR ask me to have a look."

I think as the central attacker he is probably being told to stay up top but he would be better employed as a false 9 imo. 

He has to get more involved than he is. I would like to see him drop back more and get involved in play. Nothing ever seems to come through the centre and he is always isolated and looking like a passenger most of the time.