Jonathan David

Vince193

Lille are a frustrating club to watch. The guys that get the most of the ball are extremely wasteful. Ikone and Bamba with horrible hits all match, and sloppy turnovers. David played well seemed like the only player to actually be a threat. I do miss watching him with Gent. David is so smart with the ball. He just doesn’t get enough of it with Lille. 

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Fair result.  Not Lillie's best night to be sure but Brest held their shape for all of Lillie's attempts to pull them around.  Too much east-west and not enough north-south.  An hour in and you keep at what isn't working?  That gets you a nil-nil with zero shots on goal.

This is what I thought: if I were a Brest fan I'd be proud of my team. They were orderly in their inferiority and took away a lot of the typical spark Lille can get for short periods. Lille, typical tedious play that they usually sort out, but not today.

There were periods second half where no one was in the middle for Lille, five back, five forwards, 30 m between them. That ensures you are not going to transition into attack effectively, nor draw out defenders. Here, for me, Galtier needed to ask Sanches to be the connecting link instead of sitting right in front of the defence coming on fresh. 

David was very fit, he pressured the keeper late, and had that play near the end where he was rolled over, then got up and did a long sprint.

10 hours ago, Reign said:

Lille are a frustrating club to watch. The guys that get the most of the ball are extremely wasteful. Ikone and Bamba with horrible hits all match, and sloppy turnovers. David played well seemed like the only player to actually be a threat. I do miss watching him with Gent. David is so smart with the ball. He just doesn’t get enough of it with Lille. 

The few times that I have watched Lille play  this season these guys seem to be ball hogs I bet the manager must pull his hair out on few occasions  especially with Bamba and Ikone

With PSG destroying my Barça today, confirming our decadence and especially that of certain players (Pique, Busquets, Alba), I wonder how this will affect the French league.

If Barça were to take out PSG--we are not ready for another comeback, don't think-- then they would only have the league to fight for. Now that it seems they will continue in Champions that has to be their first priority, especially thinking their side is intact from last season, they have a new coach, it is all they aspire to.

So that could benefit Lille in their title run. True, Lille too has European play, but they have no urgency to win Europa League. 

Only thing you might argue is that the win tonight gives PSG a huge boost in an otherwise underperforming season, and that will launch them in Ligue 1 as well.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With PSG destroying my Barça today, confirming our decadence and especially that of certain players (Pique, Busquets, Alba), I wonder how this will affect the French league.

If Barça were to take out PSG--we are not ready for another comeback, don't think-- then they would only have the league to fight for. Now that it seems they will continue in Champions that has to be their first priority, especially thinking their side is intact from last season, they have a new coach, it is all they aspire to.

So that could benefit Lille in their title run. True, Lille too has European play, but they have no urgency to win Europa League. 

Only thing you might argue is that the win tonight gives PSG a huge boost in an otherwise underperforming season, and that will launch them in Ligue 1 as well.

I think should Lille get past Ajax, which is doable, they can run deep into the Europa League. There is still the possibility of teams like Arsenal, Spurs and Milan, but none of those teams should frighten Lille. 

Therefore, they may have to balance European play, much like their title foes PSG. 

The caveat perhaps is that PSG may be less desperate to win the league (for a 9th time in a row)? On the other hand, Pochettino has won how many league titles? It's not the EPL or La Liga, but we may not want to underestimate how much they'll prioritize winning the league.

And as always with big teams, they'll want to win everything, surely. 

PSG want the CL so bad.  And even if Poch wants the league I guarantee he wants the European hardware as well. They will definitely be dividing their efforts.  

Lille may too but getting knocked out of Europe wouldn’t be the end of the world as it would let us focus solely on the league.  

The one thing I will say - and no disrespect to Lille - but watching PSG today it is even more baffling that we are ahead of them in the league.  They looked so good out there.   

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think should Lille get past Ajax, which is doable, they can run deep into the Europa League. There is still the possibility of teams like Arsenal, Spurs and Milan, but none of those teams should frighten Lille. 

Therefore, they may have to balance European play, much like their title foes PSG. 

The caveat perhaps is that PSG may be less desperate to win the league (for a 9th time in a row)? On the other hand, Pochettino has won how many league titles? It's not the EPL or La Liga, but we may not want to underestimate how much they'll prioritize winning the league.

And as always with big teams, they'll want to win everything, surely. 

There are still a lot of good teams left in Europa League. If we’re mentioning Arsenal, Spurs, surely we have to mention Leicester and Man Utd. Also teams like Roma, Napoli, Leverkusen. Who knows how seriously each of the teams will take the competition, if they’re fighting for their league or a Champions League spot for next year though.

I have a hard time imagining that "good Lille" can show up twice in a week, and they will of course need to if they want to advance in Europa.  But then again I'd guess the Ajax fans are saying exactly the same thing about their club as well.

It does feel like this is either going to be a fun test or completely arse.  Fingers & toes crossed. 

I do wonder how long Lille can keep up grinding out results, though. As most of us have watched them play this season because our beloved Jo David, the amount of results they have gotten without being convincing is striking. It does kinda feel like.. “When will their luck runout”? And in essence, tumble safely into 2nd or 3rd position. 

2021 alone looks like..

2-1 L Angers

1-0 W Nîmes

2-1 W Reims

1-0 W Rennes

1-0 W Dijon 

3-0 W Bordeaux

2-0 W Nantes

0-0 D Brest

I hope I’m wrong and I was really counting on an explosive performance vs Brest to continue their positive form (largely thanks to David’s lethal finishing). But the Brest game reminded me of the many games I’ve watched this season. Solid defence, sure. But not much going forward and all too predictable (Araujo counting in from the right and blasting it somewhere with his left boot or on the other side, Bamba.. head down, frantically trying to make something happen.. when often an easy ball is on). 

All that said, Jo has really found his groove and has finally adapted into his role. Loving his movement and quick 1-2 touch layoffs. And he’s making his own luck which is as testament to the work and desire he has clearly put in.

Let’s hope Lille have enough left in the tank and fortunately for them, the one thing that will keep them stabilized is their stellar defence and goaltending.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

I do wonder how long Lille can keep up grinding out results, though. As most of us have watched them play this season because our beloved Jo David, the amount of results they have gotten without being convincing is striking. It does kinda feel like.. “When will their luck runout”? And in essence, tumble safely into 2nd or 3rd position. 

2021 alone looks like..

2-1 L Angers

1-0 W Nîmes

2-1 W Reims

1-0 W Rennes

1-0 W Dijon 

3-0 W Bordeaux

2-0 W Nantes

0-0 D Brest

I hope I’m wrong and I was really counting on an explosive performance vs Brest to continue their positive form (largely thanks to David’s lethal finishing). But the Brest game reminded me of the many games I’ve watched this season. Solid defence, sure. But not much going forward and all too predictable (Araujo counting in from the right and blasting it somewhere with his left boot or on the other side, Bamba.. head down, frantically trying to make something happen.. when often an easy ball is on). 

All that said, Jo has really found his groove and has finally adapted into his role. Loving his movement and quick 1-2 touch layoffs. And he’s making his own luck which is as testament to the work and desire he has clearly put in.

Let’s hope Lille have enough left in the tank and fortunately for them, the one thing that will keep them stabilized is their stellar defence and goaltending.

Yeah I tend to agree with this. I haven't checked, but I wonder what their xG looks like.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

I do wonder how long Lille can keep up grinding out results, though.

Remember in 2016 when people were saying this about Leicester... 

I think this is the year for Lille to do it. I see PSG focusing on winning the champions leagues(which I think they will) at the expense of their league title. 

How much of that is emotional vs logical thinking is another conversation. 

41 minutes ago, Shway said:

Remember in 2016 when people were saying this about Leicester... 

I think this is the year for Lille to do it. I see PSG focusing on winning the champions leagues(which I think they will) at the expense of their league title. 

How much of that is emotional vs logical thinking is another conversation. 

Kante has more soccer IQ than all of the starters for Lille combined, if you allow for negative IQ.