Jonathan David

Vince193

2 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

This tie is over and I’m astonished how Lille are first place in that farmers league. They can’t muster any offence at all and are making Ajax looking like defensive juggernaut.  Ikone needs to work on his finishing if he wants to score more goals if not he should just pass up the ball to a better finisher . He just shoots on site 

I have only been half watching but that seems a bit harsh.  Lille have had a few chances that could have been converted.  I actually saw enough in that half to think that we will see David around 60-65 minutes in an effort to generate the offence needed for a result.

May be wrong of course, but 2 goals in  45 min isn't exactly mission impossible.

3 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

This tie is over and I’m astonished how Lille are first place in that farmers league. They can’t muster any offence at all and are making Ajax looking like defensive juggernaut.  Ikone needs to work on his finishing if he wants to score more goals if not he should just pass up the ball to a better finisher . He just shoots on site 

PSG started the season later than all the other clubs due to their Champions League run. And they probably were feeling a hangover from that.

Lille are a defensively sound team that often scores a lucky goal to win.

Compare Lille to Ajax. The Dutch play a very relaxed possession game, and rather calmly slice through any pressure out of the back and move into the attack. Lille's physicality was wasted. All the Ajax players are on the same page, and they have a rather impressive choral pace in their off the ball movement, everyone is adjusting constantly. They don't do more only because they have a rather modest squad and then sell their talent off readily. 

Classic possession football, and Lille was embarrassing beside them. Late, when a single goal could have tied things up, they missed the most obvious passes, made bad choices, it was really poor. Not one proper chance, simply could not execute.

For me it's coaching, mostly. And the kind of player they sign. But especially coaching. It's quite an indictment against the French league that this team is leading it (mind you, if you saw At Madrid vs. Chelsea the other day, the La Liga leader was also very limited considering their league status). 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me it's coaching, mostly. And the kind of player they sign. But especially coaching.

The two are pretty intertwined at Lille.  It is telling that Bamba used to play for Galtier at a previous club, and was actively recruited by him for Lille.  If you do that, you know exactly the kind of player you are getting and the kind of football you will play as a result.  

Just finished watching the match.

Despite their best efforts to the contary Ajax are through.  Even having said that it's still actually quite satisfying watching the two teams play together.  Makes me feel sort of smug about all my dumping on Lille this campaign.

Why the Hell did it take VAR to determine that penalty?

I'm guessing the BoD at Lille may have suggested to Galtier to focus on league play and earning a Champions League group stage spot this fall.  Fans in the stands, wheel barrels of broadcast money, you know?  The usual.  Europa League just doesn't have that kind of value in 2021.

Don't know, just guessing at the club's big-picture strategy.  Assuming they have one.    

12 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Why the Hell did it take VAR to determine that penalty?

No idea if this is the actual reason, but from watching Lille games it would seem that David is getting a bit of a reputation for going down pretty easily.  Not a big fan of this development in his game personally.

Again, no idea if the ref knew this about David and if that factored in at all but you can see that he is getting fewer and fewer calls in Ligue 1 these days.