Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, it is fun to spell this out. There was a very big game today. Mbappe, Neymar, di Maria, and David all entered the field. Only one of those players left with a goal, and got the 3 points for the

Here's the translated article:   Jonathan David (Lille): “I wasn't ready” Jonathan David, the Canadian center forward from Lille, scorer of three goals in his last four matches, talks abou

some positive news here. Galtier saying David is healing much faster than anticipated and he’s walking around well. He definitely won’t play the next two matches but it sounds like he should return be

Posted Images

Really hard to watch David in these conditions, sometimes the decision-making and overall play is so bad, it's a miracle they are still leading the league. 

As I don't think Galtier has any ability to improve the play, and is showing himself unable to adjust to teams that have already got Lille's number (these weaker sides holding them rather handily lately in Ligue 1), it's most likely they'll end up 3rd. I don't think they are even at the level of Lyon or Monaco now. I mean: exactly what solution is there for this team, playing this way, with this coach? Don't see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Except for the fact that he has stuck with David through everything.  He may not be able to coach some of the ball hogs into playing better but our boy was always on the pitch and he supported him 100 percent when he couldn’t find the net.  If he leaves and David goes 6 games without a goal he might get nailed to the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumour was Marseille, as Gailtier is from there, but they have already brought in the new manager. In fact I think Lille face Marseille on the next match day. 

There may be other clubs in for him in the summer, but I don't think we'll see a change of manager at Lille.

I actually think that is good for David. Not great, but not the worst situation to have a manager who will give you chances, as Galtier has done.

If Lille somehow manage to win the league, it will be nothing short of a miracle. If they do or at least come close, perhaps they will generate enough interest to sell off Ikone and/or Bamba. Perhaps Yazici too. Maybe they'll even sell David, though that's unlikely unless he catches fire to round out the season. If David does stay, I really hope Lille makes changes and puts in a new style of play. I sometimes wonder of Galtier is captive to the players he has....

Does anyone know what his coaching style was like at St. Etienne?

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Obinna said:

The rumour was Marseille, as Gailtier is from there, but they have already brought in the new manager. In fact I think Lille face Marseille on the next match day. 

There may be other clubs in for him in the summer, but I don't think we'll see a change of manager at Lille.

I actually think that is good for David. Not great, but not the worst situation to have a manager who will give you chances, as Galtier has done.

If Lille somehow manage to win the league, it will be nothing short of a miracle. If they do or at least come close, perhaps they will generate enough interest to sell off Ikone and/or Bamba. Perhaps Yazici too. Maybe they'll even sell David, though that's unlikely unless he catches fire to round out the season. If David does stay, I really hope Lille makes changes and puts in a new style of play. I sometimes wonder of Galtier is captive to the players he has....

Does anyone know what his coaching style was like at St. Etienne?

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool were interested in David again. Firmino needs competition and Liverpool like to get a bargain (kabak). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had originally thought that David’s adverse conditions in Lille (with respect to the style of play, not the support he gets from Galtier) would eventually make him stronger and more adaptable, but I think I have been convinced - it isn’t about adapting to that style it is about the style being generally less conducive to developing actual footballing skills.   Starting to feel the same way and while I was hopeful about this move originally I am thinking that a transfer out would probably be the best option if the opportunity materialized.  
 

33 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool were interested in David again. Firmino needs competition and Liverpool like to get a bargain (kabak). 

I got critiqued for saying this before but I just don’t see a team like Pool coming in for David after he struggled to adapt to much.  If he has this much trouble with Ligue 1 defenders, imagine going up against Premiership defenders week in and week out - and that would be. If he could quickly crack the first team.  
 

Regardless of whose fault it is, JD hasn’t really done himself a lot of favours with his slow start in France.  Things improved in January but to me that is still a long way from being sniped by a club like Liverpool.   Lille won’t give away their record signing so he would still command a fairly large transfer fee.  I just don’t see it happening.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I had originally thought that David’s adverse conditions in Lille (with respect to the style of play, not the support he gets from Galtier) would eventually make him stronger and more adaptable, but I think I have been convinced - it isn’t about adapting to that style it is about the style being generally less conducive to developing actual footballing skills.   Starting to feel the same way and while I was hopeful about this move originally I am thinking that a transfer out would probably be the best option if the opportunity materialized.  
 

I got critiqued for saying this before but I just don’t see a team like Pool coming in for David after he struggled to adapt to much.  If he has this much trouble with Ligue 1 defenders, imagine going up against Premiership defenders week in and week out - and that would be. If he could quickly crack the first team.  
 

Regardless of whose fault it is, JD hasn’t really done himself a lot of favours with his slow start in France.  Things improved in January but to me that is still a long way from being sniped by a club like Liverpool.   Lille won’t give away their record signing so he would still command a fairly large transfer fee.  I just don’t see it happening.  

His issue isn't with Ligue 1 defenders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

His issue isn't with Ligue 1 defenders. 

I disagree.  He is stripped of the ball in one on one situations a lot.  His chances come from intelligent runs that he makes and which his teammates occasionally notice.  But when he is running at defenders with the ball he almost never comes out on top.  It is one of the reasons for the recent discussion on his tendency to fall down and look for calls.  You don’t do that if you just beat your guy.  Put him up against defenders who are generally smarter and faster in a tougher league, and I think he would be really challenged.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I disagree.  He is stripped of the ball in one on one situations a lot.  His chances come from intelligent runs that he makes and which his teammates occasionally notice.  But when he is running at defenders with the ball he almost never comes out on top.  It is one of the reasons for the recent discussion on his tendency to fall down and look for calls.  You don’t do that if you just beat your guy.  Put him up against defenders who are generally smarter and faster in a tougher league, and I think he would be really challenged.  

He has been going down soft since his time at Gent. This isn't a new thing with David. Remember the goal he scored where he went down in the box and everyone stopped, looking at the ref to see if he'd give the call, then David quickly popped back up and shot the ball in the net? That was great reaction from David, but it all started from him going down easily. 

Rightly or wrongly, since day 1 in France he wasn't getting these calls. 

As for getting stripped of the ball, well yeah that's going to happen when you're taking players on at a higher level (unless you're Davies). That's not his game though, as you rightly point out. It's clever movement to find pockets and create or score. Those pockets are harder to find in France, but more importantly he doesn't have teammates capable of finding him, as you said.

Either way, hard to imagine him doing better than he is now at a higher level of play, but if he was surrounded around players with better vision I think he can do very well at a higher level. For instance I think he'd be a perfect understudy to Muller at Bayern. I bet he would thrive at Bayern. It's a bigger club in a better league, but most importantly the players have world class vision.

Unfortunately, the Muller understudy now looks to be Musiala, so it's moot. Just wanted to provide an example though of the kind of situation he could do well in. Whether Liverpool is a good example I am not sure. 

But yeah, right now I wouldn't bet on him doing better at a higher level, but wouldn't rule it out either. Good arguments on both sides.

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

His issue isn't with Ligue 1 defenders. 

Partially agree, as per my comment above.

I do think too much is being made of it, but we have to admit the defenders are better. That is a factor somewhat. Whether it's more of that versus more about the system and role he plays in (and teammates he plays with), well that's debatable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

far north vs far south..interim larguet still in charge of marseille until sampaoli is allowed to join..should be interesting

Marseille seem to have turned their season around a bit after they looked to be tanking badly

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...