Jonathan David

Vince193

44 minutes ago, WyattTaylor said:

I think Ajax is a stronger side than Lille, even after taking into account the fact that they’ll be without Sebastien Haller because of an amateur clerical error.

Haller and Onana are two huge losses and probably the most valuable players on the team $ wise. I favour Lille slightly. 

43 minutes ago, WyattTaylor said:

I think Ajax is a stronger side than Lille, even after taking into account the fact that they’ll be without Sebastien Haller because of an amateur clerical error.

You think so?  Remember Lille has already beaten AC Milan 0-3, and tied them at home.  They trail Serie A leaders Inter by 1 point.  They are also leading Ligue 1, which includes PSG, who dismantled Barcelona 1-4 yesterday.

I don't think so, but I guess we'll see shortly. 

23 minutes ago, Ivan said:

You think so?  Remember Lille has already beaten AC Milan 0-3, and tied them at home.  They trail Serie A leaders Inter by 1 point.  They are also leading Ligue 1, which includes PSG, who dismantled Barcelona 1-4 yesterday.

I don't think so, but I guess we'll see shortly. 

Yeah, I am not sure how Ajax would be considered stronger.   No idea if Lille will do it but they have no reason to feel like underdogs against Ajax - for precisely the reasons you mentioned.  

I think Ajax and Lille are probably similar strength, though I would give the edge to Lille as they are facing better opponents week-in and week-out.

That said, you could say the same about Barca compared to PSG, and we see what happened. 

To call an advantage either way is splitting hairs I think. It'll depend on the bounces and how the game unfolds. No clear favorite as I see it. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Haller and Onana are two huge losses and probably the most valuable players on the team $ wise. I favour Lille slightly. 

Ajax beat Lille twice last year in the Champions League group stage. They’ve since sold DVDB and Ziyech, but they’ve added some very talented young players in Antony and Kudus (who should be back from injury). Klaassen has kind of revived his career and Gravenberch is a top talent, even at 18. Throw in Schuurs and some holdovers from the 2019 CL semifinal side (Tagliafico, Tadic and Neres) and you’ve got a pretty strong team. Onana and Haller are indeed huge losses.

Lille is also really talented though. Should be a good game.

Ajax sold Botman to Lille -- because they think they had better candidates, or because they got a price too good to refuse? I don't think he cost a crazy amount, so I am guessing Ajax thought he was expendable. I think they wish they had held onto him, even if just to sell him for a much higher price (if he performed the way he has done for Lille with Ajax).

Good comments. I think as said above, that Lille, in a pinch would be fine with getting knocked out of Europa if they can fight for the league until the last match.

PSG, considering that result vs. Barça was without Neymar or De Maria, has to think they should be ready to challenge for the Champions one more year.

The worst case scenario for Lille, as I see it, is to qualify for the Champions group stage. 

Not sure what happened to all the ball-hogs on Lille, they could use them in a match like this just to retain some possession. One point late in the 2nd half some pressure from David causes a turnover, the ball falls to Bamba and six backward passes later its back down to their own keeper before it was hoofed down the field back to the opposition so that they could increase their 70% possession on the road. My stream was breaking up but I think only saw David with possession of the ball once the whole half, very late, which is probably the case for 10 of the 11 Lille players in the first half

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure what happened to all the ball-hogs on Lille, they could use them in a match like this just to retain some possession. One point late in the 2nd half some pressure from David causes a turnover, the ball falls to Bamba and six backward passes later its back down to their own keeper before it was hoofed down the field back to the opposition so that they could increase their 70% possession on the road. My stream was breaking up but I think only saw David with possession of the ball once the whole half, very late, which is probably the case for 10 of the 11 Lille players in the first half

Yeah, that backwards movement was brutal. I get the whole possession thing but at some point you have to attack.  Lille didn't look like they had any ideas until the end of the half.  Hopefully the 2nd half looks more like the last few minutes of the first...

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Jonathan Ikone entered the chat