Jonathan David

Vince193

FFS though, on David's goal.. Ikone had Yilmaz and David both free (There was a time interval when he could have seen the defenders moving away from Yilmaz, who seems to be yelling for the ball, and had time to make the pass)… but the man's first instinct is to keep dribbling into a wall of defenders and hope for the best 🤣

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

FFS though, on David's goal.. Ikone had Yilmaz and David both free (There was a time interval when he could have seen the defenders moving away from Yilmaz, who seems to be yelling for the ball, and had time to make the pass)… but the man's first instinct is to keep dribbling into a wall of defenders and hope for the best 🤣

At least he is consistent.  He dribbled into traffic and lost possession a number of times when there were clearly better passing options.  It is like he is wearing blinders.  

44 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

At least he is consistent.  He dribbled into traffic and lost possession a number of times when there were clearly better passing options.  It is like he is wearing blinders.  

I used to get frustrated and think he was just a selfish player... but I think it goes deeper than that.. genuinely curious what goes on through the guy's head in those moments.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

If you watch goal, four defenders start converging on Ikone on top of the box when he gets the ball. From the scouting reports, they know he isn't giving up the ball no matter what.  David was just the lucky recipient of a botched shot attempt out of a low margin play.

I cut out at the half, went to the gym. For me the highlight was me running suicide drills. Still think at my age it was better than David's goal. 

Seriously, that first half stunk, there is no point. The French commentator on my Spanish broadcast said that Bamba is the player in Ligue 1 who spends most time dribbling. Not Neymar, not a talented creative mid. Bamba. Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I used to think the same about Giovinco...sometimes the blinders are on and over and over they ignore team mates thinking their dribbling skill is the best option.  Juts way too confident.  And that definately wasnt a pass, but a flubbed shot.  

22 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Sooooo...  a text-book Ikone assist then?

Was going to watch the match this evening.  May just have been talked out of it after reading a few of the posts here. 

You might watch it to appreciate how good Yilmaz is.  He's 35 and and Lille is the first club he's been on that's outside of Turkey.  Can't believe he hasn't played in a better league.

6 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

If you watch goal, four defenders start converging on Ikone on top of the box when he gets the ball. From the scouting reports, they know he isn't giving up the ball no matter what.  David was just the lucky recipient of a botched shot attempt out of a low margin play.

it would have been a shame had David not finished that, given how he did all the work in midfield to start the counter attack. I honestly don't get how the coaching staff continue to witness Ikone/Bamba continually put out play after play not shake their heads.

6 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

You might watch it to appreciate how good Yilmaz is.  He's 35 and and Lille is the first club he's been on that's outside of Turkey.  Can't believe he hasn't played in a better league.

You know who would know about Yilmaz?  Atiba.  Played with him the last couple of seasons.

I suspect the money in Turkey amongst the traditional big three Istanbul clubs isn't horrible.

13 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

I think he is like the striker David had success with last year - DePoitre. Smart and aware, can be physical if he needs to, and can finish.  Just really lacking the baseline pace for the top 4 leagues.

Tangible results for David in the last two matches -- a goal, a drawn red card (drew both yellows), and a secondary assist (everyone on twitter is starting to call these "pre-assists" which makes me cringe for some reason). And yet, I don't think he played very well. His first touch has been very poor the last two matches. Still, it is good to see him having a positive impact in matches even if not everything is coming off. His smart running, drawing of fouls, and defensive work makes him useful even if he isn't scoring (though hopefully he does start scoring more!).

It is encouraging that Galtier thinks he and Yilmaz can play together. I think this would be his preferred strike force. Not sure where this would leave Yazici. Yilmaz likely needs heavy rotation due to age, and I think Yazici did play on the right before earlier in the season. It's plausible that Lille were expecting Ikone to be sold -- they have Araujo, Lihadji, and Yazici who can play there.

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think he is like the striker David had success with last year - DePoitre. Smart and aware, can be physical if he needs to, and can finish.  Just really lacking the baseline pace for the top 4 leagues.

Really? He looked old so I looked up his age and was surprised at his age and with that body type he was as quick as he was. I didn't think he was slow.

1 minute ago, Lansdude said:

Really? He looked old so I looked up his age and was surprised at his age and with that body type he was as quick as he was. I didn't think he was slow.

Maybe he meant DePoitre? He doesn't really have much pace and didn't score much in the English Premier League, hence his comment about not having the baseline pace for the top 4 leagues? I agree that Yilmaz has pretty decent pace for a 35 year old. I watched that counter on the second goal multiple times to see how his speed was. 

2 hours ago, Lansdude said:

About opinions I guess. For me, you don't need to be slow to not have enough pace for some situations. DePoitre's pace did not look out of place in Belgium, it did in the Premier League.  Yilmaz looks similar to me, decent pace for France but not his best quality.  (For reference and possibly working against my grouping the top 4 leagues together, Pablo Fornals spoke explicitly of the pace difference in the Premier League after 120+ appearances in LaLiga and almost 20 in the Europa League. At that level, different leagues have their styles, the Premier League can often not be as technical as some of the other top ones.)

On the topic, David's pace is still deceptively high but feels like it dropped slightly from last year.  Whether that is just better opposition or he has been asked to bulk up, not sure yet - honestly. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

About opinions I guess. For me, you don't need to be slow to not have enough pace for some situations. DePoitre's pace did not look out of place in Belgium, it did in the Premier League.  Yilmaz looks similar to me, decent pace for France but not his best quality.  (For reference and possibly working against my grouping the top 4 leagues together, Pablo Fornals spoke explicitly of the pace difference in the Premier League after 120+ appearances in LaLiga and almost 20 in the Europa League. At that level, different leagues have their styles, the Premier League can often not be as technical as some of the other top ones.)

On the topic, David's pace is still deceptively high but feels like it dropped slightly from last year.  Whether that is just better opposition or he has been asked to bulk up, not sure yet - honestly. 

Yilmaz has 80 pace in FIFA 21 and Depoitre has 56 pace. As we all know, FIFA’s ratings are perfect so in conclusion, Yilmaz has good enough pace. 

For comparison, Jonathan David has 85 pace, Aguero 78, Kane 68, Raul Jimenez 78, Lacazette 76.