Jonathan David

Vince193

This is going to be great fun.  Few thoughts.

Been following Scottish football for decades, Ligue 1 fans should just look north.  Been there, done that.  When the outside money evaporated the clubs figured it out.  Wasn't easy, lots of trials but they worked it out.   They have work ahead of them but you know what, so will the clubs in Ligue 1.

Ho boy, MediaPro took a hit but this has to be one of those damage control moments.  Triage.  As painfull as it feels right now corporately they're ahead hundreds of millions with this maneuver.  Especially if the recognized valuation of the Ligue 1 rights are nowhere near what MediaPro paid for them.  It isn't an asset you can use as leverage with the bankers.  Take a hit, get out, and stop the bleeding before it kills the patient.

Timing is everything isn't it?  Hands up, who also thinks 2020 can just go straight to Hell? 

Edited by Cheeta

24 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

This is going to be great fun.  Few thoughts.

Been following Scottish football for decades, Ligue 1 fans should just look north.  Been there, done that.  When the outside money evaporated the clubs figured it out.  Wasn't easy, lots of trials but they worked it out.   They have work ahead of them but you know what, so will the clubs in Ligue 1.

Ho boy, MediaPro took a hit but this has to be one of those damage control moments.  Triage.  As painfull as it feels right now corporately they're ahead hundreds of millions with this maneuver.  Especially if the recognized valuation of the Ligue 1 rights are nowhere near what MediaPro paid for them.  It isn't an asset you can use as leverage with the bankers.  Take a hit, get out, and stop the bleeding before it kills the patient.

Timing is everything isn't it?  Hands up, who also thinks 2020 can just go straight to Hell? 

I don't follow the Scottish league, but is that why Rangers (one of the biggest clubs in the SPL) were relegated to like the 4th tier or something?

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Their jobs may be under threat, but whether MLS returns to cross border play or not has nothing to do with it.  One Soccer doesn't broadcast MLS, and they're fully capable of commenting on the games wherever they're played.  The Federal government has nothing to do with them.

You’re right. The Feds preventing MLS from playing in Canada wouldn’t affect One Soccer directly, but Wheeler earns a direct living from TFC, who are being directly harmed. Layoffs will come sooner or later. He must be pretty worried at this point, and I really feel bad for the guy, with everything else going on with Media Pro. Makes for a pretty uncertain future. All 3 of them looked pretty stressed.

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

You’re right. The Feds preventing MLS from playing in Canada wouldn’t affect One Soccer directly, but Wheeler earns a direct living from TFC, who are being directly harmed. Layoffs will come sooner or later. He must be pretty worried at this point, and I really feel bad for the guy, with everything else going on with Media Pro. Makes for a pretty uncertain future. All 3 of them looked pretty stressed.

Certainly.  But the company the main company they work for, OneSoccer/Media Pro, having financial difficulties is a bigger issue.  Wheeler might do work fro TFC, but as more and more sports broadcasts have involved the radio broadcasters not actually travelling to the games and doing the work remotely (regardless of pandemic), he'd still remain largely unaffected.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I don't follow the Scottish league, but is that why Rangers (one of the biggest clubs in the SPL) were relegated to like the 4th tier or something?

Technically it was just a new club that was sold the old liquidated club's membership in the SFA and had to start at the bottom.  They applied to start higher but that was rejected. 

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Certainly was a part of the team going broke.  Is more a story of an organization living beyond it's means for too long and then getting caught in a years long scheme to cheat the tax man.  Basically the team wasn't paying the taxes owed on players salaries through some sketchy accounting/employment definition.  The tax man always gets his money, don't care who you say you are, so when the lawyering and stalling ended the house was mortgaged well beyond it's value by then and Rangers went bust. 

Would more domestic TV money and Champions League money, both of which had sort of dried up by then been able to save the club?  Wouldn't have hurt but I don't know, it was all a house of cards by then.

I guess in retrospect it was a bad decision for France to shut down the season prematurely. If people recall at the time led by Lyon a few clubs either did or threatened legal action against the French government 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/news.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-05/Lyon-president-launches-lawsuit-against-Ligue-1-as-conflicts-intensify-R4mcGKYddC/share_amp.html

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more stories of teams and leagues struggling financially during covid times.

Anyways just a reminder that Lille take on Dijon at 1pm ET today.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot more stories about a lot of things

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Missed the first half but apparently Ikone spurned a glorious scoring chance from a through-ball from David. They are up 1-0 at the half on a Yasici goal

He has been involved.  Had a shot at a sharp angle and the combination of a slightly poor pass to him/slightly poor touch from him prevented him getting a better chance. 

Team totally on top. 

18 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Missed the first half but apparently Ikone spurned a glorious scoring chance from a through-ball from David. They are up 1-0 at the half on a Yasici goal

He did. Ikone also slipped David through but David's first touch was poor and he didn't even get a shot off. David had a good chance from a Yazici through ball that the keeper saved. It wasn't an easy chance, but it could have been a better finish.

His movement has been good, but his touch has been off at times. Dijon are very poor, Lille are creating many chances.

David now off after 58 minutes, Burak on.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The one time they played him a dangerous ball early in the 2nd, Ikone calls him off so David leaves it and then Ikone misses the pass anyway. Just in case people are wondering why Ikone is a frustrating player to watch....

Basically the exact same situation happened in the first half, but with David going to hit it and Yazici in the way. I think in both cases the player in the way pulled out a little too late and the player going to hit it didn't want to clobber his team mate.

I thought Ikone was pretty good today, though I did turn it off after David got subbed.

18 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

So, Weah has 2 goals in considerably less minutes than David... though that was worth pointing out.

Not worried, he’s not close to David in terms of talent.

but as an American who’s been there longer I’d say he has the respect of his teammates.

sadly there’s a lot of ridiculous things that happen in a locker room and huge egos in sports, football is no exception.

57 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Not worried, he’s not close to David in terms of talent.

but as an American who’s been there longer I’d say he has the respect of his teammates.

sadly there’s a lot of ridiculous things that happen in a locker room and huge egos in sports, football is no exception.

Talent alone wont keep David on the starting line up indefinitely.