Herdman new head coach

matty

12 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Nations League and Copa America would be the point.

In effect there would be Copa America qualification, Copa America, World Cup qualification, World Cup and Nations League would fill the gaps.

With 45 teams in the confederation, it would be similar to UEFA in terms of qualification format for both Copa America and World Cup.

The other way to go about it would be to cast off the Carribean conference to something like OFC and merge North, Central and South America into a strong concentrated federation without the “Caribbean Mafia” controlling the votes.

Good ideas here 

Just about organising friendlies. 

The major nations tend to mix them up. Early in preparation, you may see them looking for a mid-tier rival. This is why it could make sense for a Brazil to want to play Canada: different style, different region, fresh tactical challenge, but not a match you are going to kill yourself playing (and I am not saying we are not a challenge, just being realistic).

Then there has to be a curve and you may see an equivalent rival, but further into prep. European teams rarely do friendlies outside of Europe unless there is money involved, ie States, Emirates, and the like. 

I am fairly sure many teams qualified for Qatar will want to play in the Gulf, I would imagine Oman, Saudi Arabia, they'll have suitors. A slight cultural prep involved, although nowadays so many players have been to Dubai it is no mystery to them. And conditions, apart from heat, tend to be easy (security, soft crowds, pampering from local authorities). 

Canada's problem is Nations League. It is an impediment and IMO a bad idea from the confederation to have scheduled 6 more matches when you are coming off 14 in the previous 9 months. I am all for lobbying for a change to allow the qualified teams more leeway. The only reason I suppose they are not lobbying in this regard is because no one wants to do it before qualification and the draw, which will also be a factor (you normally don't play a group rival in a previous friendly, but if you draw the Danes you may like Sweden, if its Colombia you may like Uruguay, etc.)

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Canada's problem is Nations League. It is an impediment and IMO a bad idea from the confederation to have scheduled 6 more matches when you are coming off 14 in the previous 9 months. 

Actually, I think it's just 4 in June.  I read somewhere that the first four will be played in a June "double window" and the remaining two next March. I'll try to find the link.

26 minutes ago, Metro said:

Actually, I think it's just 4 in June.  I read somewhere that the first four will be played in a June "double window" and the remaining two next March. I'll try to find the link.

Correct - Canada will likely play 2 CNL games in June and then 2 in March 2023.

The other thing is that Europe plays 6 CNL games in June/September so there is no space to set up friendlies against them.  Would not be surprised to see a European camp in September but they will have to play AFC/CAF/CONMEBOL teams.

46 minutes ago, Metro said:

Correct, from wikipedia: 

Stage Round Dates
League phase Matchday 1 2–14 June 2022
Matchday 2
Matchday 3
Matchday 4
Matchday 5 March 2023
Matchday 6
Finals Semi-finals June 2023
Third place play-off
Final

I covered this in the "Friendlies" thread.  Nations League Group A, pot 1 teams (which Canada should be baring some sort of epic failure) will play 2 games in the first week of May 30 to June 14 window. The second week of that window is free for 3 CONCACF top teams to play friendlies and 1 team to go to Qatar for WC qualifying playoffs.

June 7-14, Sept 19-27, and mid Nov before Nov 21st are open for friendlies

22 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Do we have a thread for his son yet, and should we start worrying about his dual nation eligibility? 😂😂

Tata Martino has a couple of young teenage boys but after the loss to Canada they filed for emancipation.

P.S. I made up the part about having young teenage boys.

17 hours ago, Califax said:

It’s really the only thing that bothers me about Herdman.

On the surface he’s incredibly likeable which means people tend to believe him even if people on this board have figured out that a lot of the stuff isn’t even possible.He has the team playing like superstars and that’s good enough for me. We’re in a transactional relationship right now and as supporters we are all benefiting. 

But if he gave me change for a dollar, I’d count it at least three times. 

Are you insinuating that you think the fight story is made up? I find it hard to believe that Herdman garners such respect from his team if they know he’s full of shit. 

3 hours ago, frattinator said:

Do we have a thread for his son yet, and should we start worrying about his dual nation eligibility? 😂😂

Jay Herdman he would also be eligible to play for Scotland wouldn't he not? Because Herdman is Scottish right? Berhalter's son will obviously play for USA 

7 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Correct, from wikipedia: 

Stage Round Dates
League phase Matchday 1 2–14 June 2022
Matchday 2
Matchday 3
Matchday 4
Matchday 5 March 2023
Matchday 6
Finals Semi-finals June 2023
Third place play-off
Final

Ok, much better. I thought I'd seen the last 2 were in September, but perhaps that was what happened previously? Or I saw wrong. 

So that gives us the September window for friendlies of our choice. And then, maybe, 10 days before the WC.

• 4 weeks later...

Herdman gave a good talk today. 

The nuggets of info that were new to me, if I understood them correctly, were:

• Canada brings a full-sized sword with "Qatar 2022" inscribed on the blade, and they stick it in the centre of the field before each match - presumably on the day-before training/walkthrough.  He showed a video of Vitoria plunging the sword, and Herdman said some good words about his up-and-down trajectory with the national team and how he has grown into a leadership role.
  • He told a story about Arfield.  Herdman challenged the team to set the goal-scoring record against one of the minnows (I am thinking this was the US Virgin Islands match in Nations League qualifying), but Arfield approached him with something like a "these matches can be strange - let's just see how it goes" retort.  He says he gave an ultimatum that either Arfield is all-in to go for the record, or he could put down the captain's armband.  If I'm right on this being the USVI match, then Arfield captained that match and the record was set with an 8-0 win.  
  • My wife asked him for his proudest moment with Canada soccer, and he replied that it was the women's Olympic gold medal win.  Great answer.  He joked that his answer might change later this month. 
  • Like all of us, Herdman loves Atiba. 
Edited by sstackho

Very cool. 

I'll speculate because it's a thing to do but I get the sense Herdman tried to put Arfield in his place early on and Arfield could never quite make peace with it. 

Herdman kept the door open because of Scotty's talent but the return was always going be on Johnny's terms.

Or they were failed lovers I as mused earlier... 

I have mentioned this before,  but I still believe that the new tactical setup is one of the main reasons for Arfield being out of the picture.   With the emergence of Tajon Buchanan along with the glut of other talented options of wings and wingbacks,  you don't need a box to box midfielder anymore. so his skills are redundant.   That's because we have become a more vertical team that utilizes the speed and creativity of the flanks to create most of our chances.  Arfield's skill set would have been in greater need if we were playing a 4-4-2 or some derivative of that like a 4-4-1-1.     

a box to box midfielder covers the defensive side by supporting the DMid (if you are playing with one dmid) and looks to run into spaces in the final third when attacking.   But with two players on the flanks like TB and Phonzie plus Eustacio/MAK combo minding the Dmid duties, why do we need a box to box midfielder?  you need two dmids to cover when TB and Phonzie are pushing forward.    Also,  Arfield is not really a replacement for Oso anyways because he is not guy known for his dribbling in tight spaces.,  he is rather a guy looking for open spaces.

Edit - one day later:  i should have mentioned these are the same reasons why Russell Teibert isnt getting any callups.

Edited by Free kick

42 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I have mentioned this before,  but I still believe that the new tactical setup is one of the main reasons for Arfield being out of the picture.   With the emergence of Tajon Buchanan along with the glut of other talented options of wings and wingbacks,  you don't need a box to box midfielder anymore. so his skills are redundant.   That's because we have become a more vertical team that utilizes the speed and creativity of the flanks to create most of our chances.  Arfield's skill set would have been in greater need if we were playing a 4-4-2 or some derivative of that like a 4-4-1-1.     

a box to box midfielder covers the defensive side by supporting the DMid (if you are playing with one dmid) and looks to run into spaces in the final third when attacking.   But with two players on the flanks like TB and Phonzie plus Eustacio/MAK combo minding the Dmid duties, why do we need a box to box midfielder?  you need two dmids to cover when TB and Phonzie are pushing forward.    Also,  Arfield is not really a replacement for Oso anyways because he is not guy known for his dribbling in tight spaces.,  he is rather a guy looking for open spaces.

I get it, it makes sense.  But I still see Arfield as an upgrade on both Kaye and Osorio.  Anything they can do, he can do better.  I feel we've seen the midfield look weak and vulnerable at times.  

I would've loved to see Arfield and Eustaquio play together.