Herdman new head coach

matty

A lot were sceptical of him, myself included. 
The time it changed for me, was when he stopped with the Davies at leftback bullshit (I hated the reasoning he was selling too)….but that’s when I became a full believer.

Edit….oh yea and the back 3 that was consistently deployed. I was clamouring for that for a long time, and I still believe it gets our best players on the pitch. 

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Tony Waiters came back for a 2nd stint, but assuming you mean his first successful stint that qualified us for the 1986 World Cup, I believe it would be:

Bob Bearpark, Tony Taylor, Tony Waiters, Bob Lenarduzzi, Holger Osieck, Frank Yallop, Stephen Hart, Dale Mitchell, Stephen Hart, Benito Floro, Octavio Zambrano, with a host of interim managers for one or two game stints such as Colin Miller, Bruce Twamley and Michael Findley. Technically the first listing of Stephen Hart in the list above he was interim manager while they left Dale Mitchell with the U20 team. I may be forgetting some interim dudes, but I think those are all the non-interim head coaches.

Somehow I thought we had more but I believe this is right.  Unfortunately, I remember all of them and all of those long suffering years.  My wife said to me the other day that she always admired by perseverance but honestly thought I would die before Canada made a World Cup and quite often wondered why I didn't just give up a hopeless cause.  Glad that she was wrong.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

A lot were sceptical of him, myself included. 
The time it changed for me, was when he stopped with the Davies at leftback bullshit (I hated the reasoning he was selling too)….but that’s when I became a full believer.

Edit….oh yea and the back 3 that was consistently deployed. I was clamouring for that for a long time, and I still believe it gets our best players on the pitch. 

I think everyone was right to be skeptical. Personally, my skepticism was driven more by a mistrust of the CSA then Herdman. The timing of the Zambrano firing felt so much like organizational politics where Herdman was on the right side.

2 hours ago, shortofbrillant said:

I think everyone was right to be skeptical. Personally, my skepticism was driven more by a mistrust of the CSA then Herdman. The timing of the Zambrano firing felt so much like organizational politics where Herdman was on the right side.

This is where I'm at too. The CSA played a huge role in my opinion of him.

I don't really trust the guy, but me and him have got a pretty good transactional relationship. We don't hang out, go for beers, text, but instead, he coaches the team I care about, does a good job and i reap emotional benefits. 

It's also okay for anyone to be rubbed the wrong way by the guy, and still like what he's done for the team and the country. 

Though it's probably the wrong thread for this , I wonder about the longer term future of Herdman's assistants post-Qatar.  Eric Tenllado looks to be someone on the rise, while you wonder if Biello might get another shot at a head coaching gig for a club.  

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Though it's probably the wrong thread for this , I wonder about the longer term future of Herdman's assistants post-Qatar.  Eric Tenllado looks to be someone on the rise, while you wonder if Biello might get another shot at a head coaching gig for a club.  

Eric seems to be very strong on the tactical side of things, but same as players, great tacticians don't necessarily make great or even good coaches.  Often knowing the answer isn't enough, knowing how to deliver it on the other hand is a game changer.  

7 hours ago, costarg said:

Eric seems to be very strong on the tactical side of things, but same as players, great tacticians don't necessarily make great or even good coaches.  Often knowing the answer isn't enough, knowing how to deliver it on the other hand is a game changer.  

Of course, and there have been many examples.  Some are strictly assistant coach types (Preki has done well for himself in Seattle after his TFC stint) or head coaches at a lower level.

However, success has many suitors and other organizations might want to take a good look at people that they feel might bring what they need to their own program.  You never know what might happen.

Edited by BearcatSA

Does anyone know more about Eric Tenllado? I know he's from Spain, and I see he got involved with the national program in 2019. What I didn't know till I read it just now is that from 2016-2019 he was with Toronto High Park FC. I wonder what brought him to Canada (can't imagine it was Toronto High Park FC) and then subsequently what got him on the radar of Herdman et al.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

If I interpret what he said correctly, he just said that the players who got them to this point may not be the same guys going to Qatar, he is open to new players.  (Video is cued, start at 10:16)

I'm calling it now!  Rules will be changed by Qatar.  Our backline will be Tomori / Cristante / Holmes.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

If I interpret what he said correctly, he just said that the players who got them to this point may not be the same guys going to Qatar, he is open to new players.  (Video is cued, start at 10:16)

At the 11:49 mark of the video, he mentions that the players have to earn the right.  That is definitely a challenge to the players on fringe of the roster.

It definitely sounds like he is open to adding new players.  He mention three areas, players in MLS that might step it up, players in Europe who are not committed to Canada, and players who are coming back from injury.

52 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

At the 11:49 mark of the video, he mentions that the players have to earn the right.  That is definitely a challenge to the players on fringe of the roster.

It definitely sounds like he is open to adding new players.  He mention three areas, players in MLS that might step it up, players in Europe who are not committed to Canada, and players who are coming back from injury.

Rightly so. The narrative on this board seems to be that he will go with the group that got them there. No way in hell that should be written in stone. We take the best team possible that gives us the best chance to advance.

8 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Let's look at the possibilities in the three areas:

1) MLS players that might step it up: Raheem Edwards is about the only one that comes to mind. Also I wouldn't bank on a MLS player who has come out of nowhere to perform possibly only in the next seven months. We're setting ourselves up for another Kone. He stumbled under the pressure of a relatively meaningless qualifier game. Can you imagine in a WC game?

2) Players in Europe who haven't committed to Canada: that sounds to me like Jebbision, Dias, Mitrovic and Flores (Marcelo is a big question mark). In other words  very young players. Again this might be a Kone situation.

3) Players who are coming back from injury. I can only think of Ayo Akinola and Wotherspoon.

If anyone can come up with more candidates feel free to mention them. I think Herdman was directing his comments to his present players, trying to light a fire under their asses. Except for the first case, it's pretty obvious who the candidates are in the next two cases and I don't see very many.

Edited by Sal333

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Let's look at the possibilities in the three areas:

1) MLS players that might step it up: Raheem Edwards is about the only one that comes to mind. Also I wouldn't bank on a MLS player who has come out of nowhere to perform possibly only in the next seven months. We're setting ourselves up for another Kone. He stumbled under the pressure of a relatively meaningless qualifier game. Can you imagine in a WC game?

2) Players in Europe who haven't committed to Canada: that sounds to me like Jebbision, Dias, Mitrovic and Flores (Marcelo is a big question mark). In other words  very young players. Again this might be a Kone situation.

3) Players who are coming back from injury. I can only think of Ayo Akinola and Wotherspoon.

If anyone can come up with more candidates feel free to mention them. I think Herdman was directing his comments to his present players, trying to light a fire under their asses. Except for the first case, it's pretty obvious who the candidates are in the next two cases and I don't see very many.

4) The Arfield Clause - Scotty Arfield decides to come back.

Fixed it for you!