Herdman new head coach

matty

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Let's look at the possibilities in the three areas:

1) MLS players that might step it up: Raheem Edwards is about the only one that comes to mind. Also I wouldn't bank on a MLS player who has come out of nowhere to perform possibly only in the next seven months. We're setting ourselves up for another Kone. He stumbled under the pressure of a relatively meaningless qualifier game. Can you imagine in a WC game?

2) Players in Europe who haven't committed to Canada: that sounds to me like Jebbision, Dias, Mitrovic and Flores (Marcelo is a big question mark). In other words  very young players. Again this might be a Kone situation.

3) Players who are coming back from injury. I can only think of Ayo Akinola and Wotherspoon.

If anyone can come up with more candidates feel free to mention them. I think Herdman was directing his comments to his present players, trying to light a fire under their asses. Except for the first case, it's pretty obvious who the candidates are in the next two cases and I don't see very many.

There are also Europe Players who have committed and may step it up: Harry Paton, Brym..and I'll add Ennin to the list who haven't committed from Europe

23 minutes ago, pod818 said:

There are also Europe Players who have committed and may step it up: Harry Paton, Brym..and I'll add Ennin to the list who haven't committed from Europe

24 minutes ago, pod818 said:

You mean hasn't because Paton and Brym have both committed. You really see Ennin displacing one of David, Larin, Cavallini or Ugbo? I don't and then there's Akinola who may be ready.

Same for Byrm. Who is he going to displace from the forwards?

Maybe Paton. But we run the chance of having a Kone situation.

13 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You mean hasn't because Paton and Brym have both committed. You really see Ennin displacing one of David, Larin, Cavallini or Ugbo? I don't and then there's Akinola who may be ready.

Same for Byrm. Who is he going to displace from the forwards?

Maybe Paton. But we run the chance of having a Kone situation.

I don't see Ennin displacing, but you had Jebbison, Dias, and Flores on your list and I don't see any of them displacing either. I put him in the same level (except not a dual Nat as far as I know). There's a small chance we see a Kone or Buchanan sort of rise. Thats true for all of them, they are far on the periphery

Paton and Brym are in the category of "have committed" from Europe which is what I noted

Edited by pod818

29 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I wonder if Herdman has seen the movie "Miracle", this reminds me of it.

"I'm sick and tired of hearing about how great a soccer team the Belgians have.  Screw 'em!  This is your time!  Now go out there and take it!"

43 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

"I'm sick and tired of hearing about how great a soccer team the Belgians have.  Screw 'em!  This is your time!  Now go out there and take it!"

No, I meant the part of establishing this whole "brotherhood" narrative.  And then as we get closer to the big event coach Brooks brings in Tim Harrer which threatens the unity of the rest of the team and they further tighten the group and he is rejected.  Moral of this story, the best team is not a collection of the best players but the best collection of players.

7 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Let's look at the possibilities in the three areas:

1) MLS players that might step it up: Raheem Edwards is about the only one that comes to mind. Also I wouldn't bank on a MLS player who has come out of nowhere to perform possibly only in the next seven months. We're setting ourselves up for another Kone. He stumbled under the pressure of a relatively meaningless qualifier game. Can you imagine in a WC game?

2) Players in Europe who haven't committed to Canada: that sounds to me like Jebbision, Dias, Mitrovic and Flores (Marcelo is a big question mark). In other words  very young players. Again this might be a Kone situation.

3) Players who are coming back from injury. I can only think of Ayo Akinola and Wotherspoon.

If anyone can come up with more candidates feel free to mention them. I think Herdman was directing his comments to his present players, trying to light a fire under their asses. Except for the first case, it's pretty obvious who the candidates are in the next two cases and I don't see very many.

In MLS, there are other options that could potentially step up. Just at TFC, Priso is probably most likely, but also JMR, Petrasso. Also Choiniere, Waterman, ZBG, Zouhir. I’m not saying any of these are super likely, but they’re definitely possible. As much or more than Edwards in some cases.

27 minutes ago, archer21 said:

In MLS, there are other options that could potentially step up. Just at TFC, Priso is probably most likely, but also JMR, Petrasso. Also Choiniere, Waterman, ZBG, Zouhir. I’m not saying any of these are super likely, but they’re definitely possible. As much or more than Edwards in some cases.

Of the names you've mentioned I would say a big, big, big maybe for ZBG and Petrasso.  But unless there's an injury, no way. Everyone else it's a pipe dream for this November. If we're gonna see any surprises it will be at CB or midfield.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Of the names you've mentioned I would say a big, big, big maybe for ZBG and Petrasso.  But unless there's an injury, no way. Everyone else it's a pipe dream for this November. If we're gonna see any surprises it will be at CB or midfield.

I agree, I don’t think it’s very likely any of them actually make the team in November. I don’t expect Edwards to either though. Any of them would have to have truly outstanding seasons to earn a spot.

18 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think a right-footed true CB is a need for the squad:  there are some question marks about the durability of the incumbents, while there is a significant fall off to the next guys in the pecking order.  

It might be a little early for him as he's younger than anyone else we've used on the backline, but it really sounds like you're looking for Julian Dunn.  Hopefully he has a good season in Norway.  So far he's a starter for HamKam, a full season with them could be good.

8 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Injuries are definitely possible so good to have options even where we have depth. But agree on the midfield and CB’s

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder if Herman‘s gonna go to with a traditional back four and do you put Davies as left back? Especially against Belgium? 

Should be under serious consideration. I hope our friendlies are adequate. Herdman is a quick learner but he’s not faced European mens teams. I was never much a fan of Davies as a striker. 

19 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Do you think herdman would leave if he was offered a job in the premier league? I know he’s been linked to Newcastle. 

if he gets Canada out of the group I’m sure a club team will be sniffing around. 

I have no inside info but he seems to have hitched his wagon to the CMNT. And so far it’s working. After the world cup, especially if he gets us out of the group stage, it wouldn’t surprise me. Let’s enjoy the camaraderie and good work while we’ve got it! 

11 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Do you think herdman would leave if he was offered a job in the premier league? I know he’s been linked to Newcastle. 

if he gets Canada out of the group I’m sure a club team will be sniffing around. 

You can be as sentimental as you like, but if he has a good WC, depending on the ages of his kid/s (no idea of his offspring) and family situation, he may decide it is a good time to move to a club. Would not normally be until the summer of 2023 anyways. 

What is he making? I doubt it is half a million Canadian. Maybe 350-400k? That is the sort of money he could make with a 2nd division team. If he were to get a first tier offer he'd be multiplying that amount. Tempting.

I personally don't think he'd leave us for another national team, unless the offer was very good. Don't pay as well, no variation in the career curve--it'd be a club offer.

Just out of my own interest, how many national team only managers have gone on to success in their first club team experience?  Klinny fell on his face at Bayern.

As a caveat to my opinion that he likely will stay until following 2026, @gator he might go to a situation that he has thoroughly vetted as a "right" fit for him (like this current gig)

Edited by BearcatSA

Look at what he did before, like Gator pointed out.  He leveraged success with the women to force them to give him the mens program.  He did it at the drop of a hat, no warning..BANG..he was gone.  Now afterward he said it was mission accomplished etc etc, apoligized to the women and it was all happy happy.  But it wouldnt take much imagination to come up with a scenario where that happens again no matter what kind of brotherhood rhetoric comes out of his mouth.  After the WC, he says to himself, I am on top of the world, I took a minnow to WC success, I can use this to get a dream job with XYZ in League ABC.  Really its mission accomplished with the CDN men 4 years early, I can leave with a clear concience.  Its not a big leap to see him doing it again.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

After the WC, he says to himself, I am on top of the world, I took a minnow to WC success, I can use this to get a dream job with XYZ in League ABC.  Really its mission accomplished with the CDN men 4 years early, I can leave with a clear concience.  Its not a big leap to see him doing it again.  

I guess it depends upon what he thinks  his dream job is.  For a club, that potential dream job can turn into a dream nightmare over the course of one season.

It depends on how big a dreamer or pragmatist he is.  He's got a good gig and a pretty good wage at the CSA, he runs the show.  Now does he want to give that up for his dream gig at Newcastle (or wherever) fraught with all the dangers of being a "professional" manager.  Presently he is almost the equivalent of a midsized US college sports coach, good money at a fairly safe job.

The pragmatist in him knows he is pretty good as a tournament manager and he doesn't have to deal with the day to day problems of man management in a club setting.  The dreamer in him somewhat equates Richie Laryea, you have a goal from childhood that you may be willing to accept less money and or security to fulfill.

This is what he can (on average) look forward to:

On average, then, at the start of the 2019-20 Premier League, a manager lasted 789 days, which is the equivalent of 2 years, 8 weeks and 3 days. For context, that’s less than one-tenth the reigns of Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson at Arsenal and Manchester United respectively.

By comparison, on the day 2009-10 began, the average life span of a Premier League boss was 1301 days, which equates to 3 years, 6 months, 3 weeks and 2 days. So, in the last ten years, a top-flight manager lasts in the same job for about a year-and-a-half less, on average.

I can't say for certain but I would think oft times when a manager is fired, many members of the staff go as well so sooner or later job security becomes an issue.