Herdman new head coach

matty

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I’m sure he has a no compete clause, but if Southgate gets fired, England could come calling. 

I believe he said on the interview after the draw that he has the same agent as Southgate, interesting! I don't know what JH's plans are but he is ambitious and a move somewhere certainly can't be ruled out that is part of the reason why he has an agent, to sell his brand and thinking out loud here why would he have an agent if he is set and comfortable in the contract he currently has with the CSA?

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I guess it depends upon what he thinks  his dream job is.  For a club, that potential dream job can turn into a dream nightmare over the course of one season.

Well not even a dream job, how about a higher profile job with a new challenge??  And prob more money??  There was no sentimentality there with the women, it was on to new things as soon as he could swing it eh??  For all the talk about how he loves where he is and what he is doing, he was able to drop it and move on overnight, so no one should be surprised if he does it again.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Well not even a dream job, how about a higher profile job with a new challenge??  And prob more money??  There was no sentimentality there with the women, it was on to new things as soon as he could swing it eh??  For all the talk about how he loves where he is and what he is doing, he was able to drop it and move on overnight, so no one should be surprised if he does it again.  

He could move on, not necessarily disagreeing at all with that.  The more $$$ angle?  Perhaps, but the guys seems to be set in the marketing of his brand beyond the game, so the higher reward challenge of a big contract also comes with a higher risk of tarnishing that aspect if he flops.

If we do great in Qatar, he will be a man in high demand, no doubt.

2 hours ago, gator said:

I believe he said on the interview after the draw that he has the same agent as Southgate, interesting! I don't know what JH's plans are but he is ambitious and a move somewhere certainly can't be ruled out that is part of the reason why he has an agent, to sell his brand and thinking out loud here why would he have an agent if he is set and comfortable in the contract he currently has with the CSA?

Because he won't have a contract just with CSA. He night get endorsement contracts, speaking engagements etc.

That's one point. The second point I hope you know Herdman is the national director of soccer in Canada. He is not just the manager or coach as most Canadians would call him. I agree with you. He is ambitious but ambition manifests itself in many different ways. He is in charge of a whole soccer program in Canada. You think England, France or any other country would give him that? And even if they would give them that, do you really think he  can make a difference in those countries as he has  done and will continue to do here?

5 hours ago, gator said:

Our women's team thought he was staying as well!

If you listen to his interviews, you'll hear that part of the reason he moved from the women to the men was to make more money for both programs.  Having the men make the World Cup will bring money to the women's team, as well.  He wasn't abandoning the women when he changed sides.  He was doing what was necessary to get them even more resources for development.

5 hours ago, gator said:

Our women's team thought he was staying as well!

The guy is definitely an over-achiever.  He doesn't settle or aim for simple goals.   Most people laughed at his mission statement for CANMNT from the beginning, he wasn't affraid to look/sound crazy and the sumbitch did it.

I wonder what this guy would accomplish with a team like England.  If they crash out of 2022 early, you just know they'll go looking for someone with his exact profile.  I don't necessarily see him as a club coach, all depends what his family is looking for as well. 

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Don't say that!!!

And to be serious I don't think that will happen and you would get long odds but this is the World Cup and we will be underdogs in all 3 matches even though we are all hoping we can pull off some results!

1 hour ago, gator said:

What if we don't do great, what if we lose all 3 matches and dare I say it, don't score a goal?

I can easily see that happening.  I think that first game will decide everything just like when we had that 9 point window and the last window which started with a loss.  Even though we beat Jamaica, I thought the scoreline was flattering and we lost two games against IMO inferior opponents.  My hope is that everyone will be healthy for Belgium and Phonsie will supply that spark. Also hope Tajon, Stache and Laryea will more more firmly entrenched in their lineups and yes I know Tajon is playing, just want to see some more results.

I also think for someone who was actually around in 1986 that this aura of failure people who likely weren't around then is unfair.  They did as well as could be expected, unfortunate they didn't score but they repped us well.

3 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

I think Canada would have to get pretty deep into the tournament to have any chancd of Herdman being in high demand. It isn't a slight against Herdman, but a comentary on the large pool of managers that exist. Especially for major footballing nations like England.

Then why does Roy Hodgson keep getting jobs?

22 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I also think for someone who was actually around in 1986 that this aura of failure people who likely weren't around then is unfair.  They did as well as could be expected, unfortunate they didn't score but they repped us well.

There is a helluva lot more expectation going to Qatar as opposed to just-happy-to-be-there Mexico '86.  Hanging with France and their galaxy of stars  in the opener was impressive .  If Bobby L. didn't stub his d*ck on that point blank chance vs the Soviets, we'd have our goal.  Waiters got the best he could out of that side.

I would be very very surprised if Herdman moves to a national team like England or any of the top national teams.  While he has done fantastic, he just doesn't have the name recognition nor track record in the men's game to warrant such a move.  The press would crucify him in those countries as someone with no professional managerial experience and only Canada men's and women's national team experience in Concacaf.  Yes, the women won two bronzes under him and the men qualified top of the group in qualifying but the large countries like England, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, etc. would just never see him as a viable candidate with that resume.  If you think we were sexist about his appointment, those countries would take that to a whole another level (with England and maybe Germany being exceptions but the thinness of his CV would rule him out of those jobs anyway). 

On the professional side, I just dont see a top level side in the premier league or similar taking him.  Championship, yes.  Maybe lower tier Premier league, possibly with a good WC.

That could change if we have a remarkable run to the QF or SF but that is really unlikely and even then, I wouldn't expect it.

I think the far more likely possibility is a national team like Japan, or one of the African or other Asian sides like Saudi Arabi; or even a China.  Or god forbid, the US.  Someone with money who be willing to open the vault for him.  And then it will be a question of whether he wants to take the money or leverage that to get the best deal and stay in Canada and see out what he has built through 2026 when we co-host.  I suspect he would stay with a serious salary bump.

If he truly sees himself as an England manager or top premiership manager, he needs to do an intermediate step by taking on a professional role as I said above with all the risk that entails.  

I guess we will see over the next year or so how ambitious versus practical he is as I am sure he will get serious offers if he hasnt already.

Thinking Herdman is the right man in the right place at the right time.  Of course the same could be said for every successful international manager ever.  (In the Men's AND Lady's game apparently).

This young team with it's blend of talent, personalities, and club commitments, in this time and this place, clearly worked with Herdman's philosophy .  Don't know if the same could  be said for previous editions of the CMNT. Also don't know if it translates well across the board as it were.  A bit of Cheeta cynicism when the subject of Herdman moving on is raised.

Money talks I suppose but I suspect Mr Herdman will be set for life after his current contract with Canada Soccer is complete.  And I think he does see his time here as a legacy project and has been afforded the freedom to make it so.  Also, warts & all its harrrrd to leave a winning program.   

Me-thinks we're married to JH for a wee bit yet.  

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

There is a helluva lot more expectation going to Qatar as opposed to just-happy-to-be-there Mexico '86. 

Not for me.  I was never sure how good this team is/was, they kept punching above their level.  They came back to earth in that last window and lost to lesser opponents.  For me that was the first time they seemed to be playing down against our opponent even though they were dominant.  I was very confident before, but now after the draw and that last window, not so much.  As I said I hope Phonsie  can give us that extra renewed spark cuz if he can't I see 1986 results happening again.  Hope they prove me wrong.

Not to get to far off topic but some of you are massively down playing Roy Hodgson’s achievements. As a club manager he revolutionised football in Sweden and as a national manager, he qualified the Swiss for their first WC in 28 years and took them to 3rd in FIFA rankings. Even you youngsters should be old enough to remember Fulham’s run to the Europa League final. If Herdman comes close to having half the success of Hodgson, he will have had a very successful career. 

9 hours ago, ECW said:

Do we know how long his current contract is? Dunfield on OneSoccer in reference to Herdman after the Panama match said something like “get out the Brinks truck”. 

Iirc, I recall it being a 10 year contract….basically ending by 2026. I could be mixing it up with his 10 year plan however.

I’m sure the length was contingent on some goals being met.

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I can easily see that happening.  I think that first game will decide everything just like when we had that 9 point window and the last window which started with a loss.  Even though we beat Jamaica, I thought the scoreline was flattering and we lost two games against IMO inferior opponents.  My hope is that everyone will be healthy for Belgium and Phonsie will supply that spark. Also hope Tajon, Stache and Laryea will more more firmly entrenched in their lineups and yes I know Tajon is playing, just want to see some more results.

In 1986 all kinds of factors worked against us, but we did not have a poor tournament in some ways. 

First, we really did not get to prep properly. Next, many of our players were playing Indoor, or at relatively low club levels, and on paper we were far below our opponents. Also: vs. France we fought well and were very close to getting a draw, at least. I think that first match was so important, and that is why we all remember it. We seemed to have the guts and balls for one good fight, that was it. If we'd drawn France, scoring, that would have likely altered the next two matches.

Finally, we were playing 3 European teams, all disciplined and talented in all lines. That was not fair, and it wasn't fun either, they were also good sides. It was the last decent Hungarian team, for example. A more diverse group is always more entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also: vs. France we fought well and were very close to getting a draw, at least. I think that first match was so important, and that is why we all remember it. We seemed to have the guts and balls for one good fight, that was it. If we'd drawn France, scoring, that would have likely altered the next two matches.

I agree, it seems so obvious, (then and now) but getting a result in the first game can and could have changed so many things.  Kids growing up after the breakup of the Eastern bloc countries also have no idea what a force the Soviet Union (in our 1986 group) with all its republics and Yugoslavia were (in all sports) especially basketball but also soccer.  Imagine that you could combine two of this year's World Cup teams into one (Serbia and Croatia)