Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Well that tweet made me giggle...

But hey... they are in a superior league with superior means...

Emphasis on "long awaited arrival of players from TFC (paid for by MLSE)...

Yeahhhhhhhh

Loans are a reality of football, the Fury will have them, CPL will too. Just look at the number of players Chelsea has out. TFC has some young kids like Julian Dunn, Aidan Daniels and Noble Okello who will need to get minutes so if its Ottawa, York or elsewhere who cares. 

On the whole, I have no problem with loans...however there is a big distinction between that and what Ottawa is doing.

Its hard to build a connection to your local team when a significant percentage of it is comprised of players that aren't really 'yours'. In addition to that, when those loans are coming from specific teams that you have a formal relationship with, one could ask the question whose interests are you really serving? I don't know why any supporter would want this for their club.

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

Loans are a reality of football, the Fury will have them, CPL will too. Just look at the number of players Chelsea has out. TFC has some young kids like Julian Dunn, Aidan Daniels and Noble Okello who will need to get minutes so if its Ottawa, York or elsewhere who cares. 

Loans are a reality of football only where the league permits them. They are certainly detrimental to the finances of the (smaller) borrowing teams, for the reasons I stated above. I have no problem with loans between CPL teams, but loans from outside CPL will be detrimental to the league.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Loans are a reality of football only where the league permits them. They are certainly detrimental to the finances of the (smaller) borrowing teams, for the reasons I stated above. I have no problem with loans between CPL teams, but loans from outside CPL will be detrimental to the league.

Loans outside of CPL will not be detrimental to the league. More than a couple loans would be detrimental. It isn't the end of the world to have one or two guys loaned.

When you get into the territory of having a bunch of loans like the Fury (2 formal - Kinumbe, TMG; and 2 informal - Ricci, Tisseur) with more on the way from TFC, then it gets to be a bit of a problem.

Who knows what parameters are in place for these loans either. Are these guys guaranteed playing time?

Edited by deschamp86
Forgot about Tisseur

Tough to call.  Especially in a salary cap league.  

If you're firmly against loans coming in from outside the league you do risk missing on opportunities for higher quality players (on a subsidy usually) and there is some pretty easy governance that can eliminate that subsidy from skewing the competitive intent part of the salary cap.

But you also diminish the development aspect the league needs to sell to this newest generation of players.  By that I mean not encouraging players to sign with MLS because they know they can still get development time through CPL on a loan. 

Think for now I'm going to be an isolationist.  

Good for playing time and maybe excited to be part of first edition of cpl..but on financial side should be a significant difference if he would be on the reserve minimum salary of 56k usd..maybe around half of that in cpl

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

Good for playing time and maybe excited to be part of first edition of cpl..but on financial side should be a significant difference if he would be on the reserve minimum salary of 56k usd..maybe around half of that in cpl

Do we have reliable information that this is not only the case generally, but in regards to a specific player?

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

Although the CPL cap is not known there has been talk of a 55k median salary for the league.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:05 AM, Ansem said:

So this happened this morning!

David Choiniere was offered a Montreal Impact contract but was going to get loaned to Ottawa Fury...

Let's just said that he said..."nah...non merci". . Reports say that his agent is pushing for CPL... Now that's a smart kid.

His agent has 5 players with Forge FC. It's less "nah... merci" and more, I received an independent competitive offer. 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:58 PM, masster said:

On the whole, I have no problem with loans...however there is a big distinction between that and what Ottawa is doing.

Its hard to build a connection to your local team when a significant percentage of it is comprised of players that aren't really 'yours'. In addition to that, when those loans are coming from specific teams that you have a formal relationship with, one could ask the question whose interests are you really serving? I don't know why any supporter would want this for their club.

I've mentioned this before, but the fans in Ottawa really (really) liked Maxime Crépeau, and considered him "ours" - especially in Ottawa's large Francophone community. The fact that he was "on loan" really didn't come into the decision making behind that, because he was here and he wore the colours. I know a lot of people who are proud that even though he was shipped to the Caps from l'Impact, he was made into a quality product here in Ottawa. A lot of the TSN 1200 listeners at my firm are quite convinced he'd still be 3rd sting in Montréal if he wasn't moulded by Ottawa.  

This club was literally built by castaways, old-timers and loans from L'Impact de Montréal. Most people are comfortable with that, because a team of Ex-Montréalais (among others others) were the ones who almost won the NASL for Ottawa! If adding a few clowns  Toronto FC players on loan recreates some of that magic, I'd say the vast majority of us would be okay with that. 

The back office stuff really isn't a part of the Ottawa sports psyche, in my experience.  ...Except when Melnyk is concerned. 

54 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I've mentioned this before, but the fans in Ottawa really (really) liked Maxime Crépeau, and considered him "ours" - especially in Ottawa's large Francophone community. The fact that he was "on loan" really didn't come into the decision making behind that, because he was here and he wore the colours. I know a lot of people who are proud that even though he was shipped to the Caps from l'Impact, he was made into a quality product here in Ottawa. A lot of the TSN 1200 listeners at my firm are quite convinced he'd still be 3rd sting in Montréal if he wasn't moulded by Ottawa.  

This club was literally built by castaways, old-timers and loans from L'Impact de Montréal. Most people are comfortable with that, because a team of Ex-Montréalais (among others others) were the ones who almost won the NASL for Ottawa! If adding a few clowns  Toronto FC players on loan recreates some of that magic, I'd say the vast majority of us would be okay with that. 

The back office stuff really isn't a part of the Ottawa sports psyche, in my experience.  ...Except when Melnyk is concerned. 

This may be true for you but is in no way representative of my experience as a fan in Ottawa. Might as well just change two letters in the team name to Ottawa Farm.

2 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Crepeau was long deserving of a shot in MLS before Ottawa, Impact just kept shafting him. They didn’t mould him, he dominated the league lol. He was beyond ready just needed a place to play which could of been any USL team.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:22 PM, dsqpr said:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on whether Canadian fans will support an MLS development league in Canada, masquerading as a Canadian league. I personally will not and I have been a football fan ever since I was about 6. Of course I may be the exception but somehow I doubt it.

I'm still catching up, so I'm sure this has already been talked about. Now that Ryan Telfer has been loaned from TFC to York9 are you ceasing your support of CPL? You said you didn't want even a single loan from MLS. Hopefully you'll reconsider.

https://canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-acquires-ryan-telfer-on-season-long-loan-from-toronto-fc

Two comments on that Ottawa Citizen article.

"there is a segment of our supporter base that, if it was their decision, would have chosen for us to be in the CPL in 2019. And I think there’s another segment that says, ‘We trust OSEG and we trust the Fury and, if they say (USL) is better for us for now, we’ll go with that …"

So there are those who based on what they see of the 2 leagues think they should be in CPL, and there are those who will just have faith in whatever the Fury say. I guess he doesn't think anybody in the Fury fanbase wants to be in USL because they believe it's the right decision, independent of the Fury's opinion?

"36 teams in total to compete for a title. That’s massive when you have two conferences of 18 each. You don’t find that in any league in the world right now."

Isn't this actually pretty common? When you get low enough in the pyramid, lots of countries have regional leagues in the same tier. That's what USL is. I guess the main thing I'm not sure about is if there is inter-conference games in USL during the regular season (I don't think there typically would be in other countries, but I don't actually have any experience following one of those leagues).

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

"there is a segment of our supporter base that, if it was their decision, would have chosen for us to be in the CPL in 2019. And I think there’s another segment that says, ‘We trust OSEG and we trust the Fury and, if they say (USL) is better for us for now, we’ll go with that …"

So there are those who based on what they see of the 2 leagues think they should be in CPL, and there are those who will just have faith in whatever the Fury say. I guess he doesn't think anybody in the Fury fanbase wants to be in USL because they believe it's the right decision, independent of the Fury's opinion?

"36 teams in total to compete for a title. That’s massive when you have two conferences of 18 each. You don’t find that in any league in the world right now."

Isn't this actually pretty common? When you get low enough in the pyramid, lots of countries have regional leagues in the same tier. That's what USL is. I guess the main thing I'm not sure about is if there is inter-conference games in USL during the regular season (I don't think there typically would be in other countries, but I don't actually have any experience following one of those leagues).

Don't know about other leagues, but, unless I'm widely mistaken, there is no inter-conference games for the Fury at least this season, and there weren't any last season.

14 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

A team of ex-Montrealais almost won the NASL for Ottawa in 2015? That team had 1 significant piece with ties to the Impact, Ubiparipovic. JGL was on loan there for 1 month. I guess you can include the coaching staff if you like, but I don't see how you can define that 2015 Fury team as ex-Impact anymore than ex-Whitecaps, or ex-Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

Honestly, that was what struck me when I read that quote as well. 

Ungenerous paraphrase: Some fans think we made the wrong choice, and some are waiting to see if we made the wrong choice.

I want the fury to do well! It will looked much better when the CPL accepts the 2019 USL champions to the CPL. It would be great publicity for a successful USL team to “move up a level” to the CPL. 

Don’t take my words too literally, but still, it would be great for the Fury to be successful.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Technically this happens in Spanish 3rd tier, which is 2B, four divisions of 20 teams, so a total of 80. And they end up determining an overall champion, what they call the Bronze. 

They all play division games separately. Then there are promotion playoffs, which feature head to head match-ups of the winner of each division, and those two promote (as do other teams later, through a longer process).

Fine. But then, the two most rapidly promoted teams, both division winners, do a home and away to decide that year's champion of 2B. The champion of  a tier with 80 teams. Last year it was Mallorca: https://as.com/futbol/2018/06/10/mas_futbol/1528639353_626320.html

If you look at the videos you can decide whether it mattered to them or not (they won it away from home btw).

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/multimedia/videos/rcd-mallorca/2018-05-06-142969-real-mallorca-campeon-liga-segunda.html

So the comment is mistaken: in Spain 80 teams in 3rd tier, 2B, compete for a title. Though of course, as we all know, the real prize is promoting.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm still catching up, so I'm sure this has already been talked about. Now that Ryan Telfer has been loaned from TFC to York9 are you ceasing your support of CPL? You said you didn't want even a single loan from MLS. Hopefully you'll reconsider.

https://canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-acquires-ryan-telfer-on-season-long-loan-from-toronto-fc

Stop being an asshole.