Ottawa CPL Club

16 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Well no, not any kid. That's why I said a kid that lives for Football. I know for a fact there are plenty of those in the Ottawa area. Young enough in a good development environment there's absolutely no reason a boy can't be on the same level as the kids that were deemed better 3 years ago. 

Do you feel like OF could have done a better job with their relations with local youth clubs? Any idea why parents were viewing amateur youth clubs as better development pathway? 

The current Fury under OSEG had no idea about the relationship between clubs and the Fury. It wasn’t their mess; that was created by others. What they should have done is change their name. 

The mentality of kids and parents is successful teams and the potential to earn a scholarship. Ya right. Most high level kids will never get close to sniffing a scholarship of any sort. Fury wasn’t getting good players so their teams sucked and they weren’t getting a kid a scholarship. 

15 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I should also point out that in England the loan market thrives and as a result the top teams are able to hog all of the talent and then loan them out for smaller clubs to develop, and as a result the smaller clubs now receive a fraction if the transfer fee revenue they used to generate (they beg a comparative pittance from the Sky TV money as compensation). The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I know that some people enjoy this state of affairs but I do not.

I think once the CPL clubs generate some $ we will see these loans be purchases in the future. Have to imagine a 27 year old Emery Welshman wasn't loaned out by Cinci for development purposes, and if Forge had the money for a transfer fee he would be a permanent signing

11 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

The current Fury under OSEG had no idea about the relationship between clubs and the Fury. It wasn’t their mess; that was created by others. What they should have done is change their name. 

The mentality of kids and parents is successful teams and the potential to earn a scholarship. Ya right. Most high level kids will never get close to sniffing a scholarship of any sort. Fury wasn’t getting good players so their teams sucked and they weren’t getting a kid a scholarship. 

Makes sense. Happens all over North America. Parents want the best for their kids, and it's hard to argue a free post secondary education isn't the best for their kids. For me, those are the kids that i'm not wasting time developing though. All the power to  them for chasing a scholarship, but I want kids who dream of being pro. Hopefully with the launch of the CPL we start to see a shift in the mindset of parents and kids. Hopefully more and more kids grow up wanting to play for their favourite CPL club.

34 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Makes sense. Happens all over North America. Parents want the best for their kids, and it's hard to argue a free post secondary education isn't the best for their kids. For me, those are the kids that i'm not wasting time developing though. All the power to  them for chasing a scholarship, but I want kids who dream of being pro. Hopefully with the launch of the CPL we start to see a shift in the mindset of parents and kids. Hopefully more and more kids grow up wanting to play for their favourite CPL club.

Getting a free education out of soccer is a noble pursuit. How many Canadian kids get a full or even half scholarship?  Most are a small percentage of a ride. Which still means tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket. But scholarship isn’t the goal of Canadian soccer; high level academies are. Problem tho is these academies will lose kids to the NCAA route which really pisses them off and rightly so. 

9 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

My expectation is that every CPL club will have an academy within 3-5 yrs. Not easy to set up a free academy off the bat, need some revenue first.  CPL is being really guarded about their plans, but (I've heard) academies are being contemplated as is a national women's league. 

I dunno if we'll see all the cpl teams having their own academies (in a traditional sense) in the next decade. i think it's likely those with local options will partner with boutique academies, providing funds for a sort of right to first refusal once players reach 18 (or something similar) but remaining in the wings rather than overseeing the operations.

I do picture a women's league or Canadian NWSL division to emerge from the CPL.

-"We have to qualify for the playoffs. We only have one season to prove that the existance of the only Canadian team in USL Championship is justified. We have to show that our project is a pathway towards MLS. It's important to have a Canadian club in a very good league"

JDG

It reads as “We have one season to prove that the existance of the only Canadian team in USL Championship is justified.”

It’s a revealing comment isn’t it?  They have to prove that they are on a pathway to the MLS to justify staying in USL.  Very interesting.

We never really get what is said closed doors and this is a new angle on the Fury’s position.

This is the google translate I am getting:

"You have to do the series. We have a season to prove that the only USL team has a reason to be. It must be demonstrated that our project can be a springboard for our players towards MLS. I think it's important to have a Canadian club in a very good league. "

The "a season" certainly reads like "one season"

29 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It reads as “We have one season to prove that the existance of the only Canadian team in USL Championship is justified.”

It’s a revealing comment isn’t it?  They have to prove that they are on a pathway to the MLS to justify staying in USL.  Very interesting.

We never really get what is said closed doors and this is a new angle on the Fury’s position.

It can also be translated to we have a season to prove... but definitely don’t see only in there. 

Think it goes without saying that a TFC II level of performance would make staying in the USL Championship difficult to justify long term and would also probably mean the end of the road for JDG and Popovic. Reading more into this than that would be a stretch based on this one quote in isolation. It will be interesting to see if a reporter asks the obvious follow up questions at some point.

9 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

This is the google translate I am getting:

"You have to do the series. We have a season to prove that the only USL team has a reason to be. It must be demonstrated that our project can be a springboard for our players towards MLS. I think it's important to have a Canadian club in a very good league. "

The "a season" certainly reads like "one season"

un and une are used as “one” depending on the gender of the word it’s in front of.  saison- season - is feminine so une is used.

une and un are used as “a” in the same way.

So it can read we have a season or we have one season.  But it really means the same thing in this context.

I’m not using google translate, I just read and right French as well as English in my day to day life.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

It reads "une saison"

1 means one, not 2, not 3, not 4. One means one.

Okay, I disagree with your take here (I don't think he's saying they have only 1 season) but we all just take a moment to be happy that for once FRENCH IS THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION ON A CANPL ARTICLE!?!?! 

38 minutes ago, Ansem said:

French's my 1st language. I don't think I forgot how to speak it

Honestly this can happen though. Assimilation is real man. Lâchez pas la patate. 

*happy Franco-ontarien dance* 

My take I posted in the Fury thread yesterday.

If that's how the manager sees one of the main goals for the club it comes across as contradictory to previous statements about trying to offer the highest level of competition possible. I have no problem with either approach, I just find it frustrating that the message is constantly changing. This is compounded with the perceived quality of loans this season compared to last.

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

My take I posted in the Fury thread yesterday.

If that's how the manager sees one of the main goals for the club it comes across as contradictory to previous statements about trying to offer the highest level of competition possible. I have no problem with either approach, I just find it frustrating that the message is constantly changing. This is compounded with the perceived quality of loans this season compared to last.

I'm leaning towards this in regards to JDG

18 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

The rest of the tweet shows the reporter saying how JDG never runs down the CPL.  Noticed you left that out. 

Maybe the reporter didnt show his passive aggressive comment about not needing Euro guys