Ottawa CPL Club

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It can you’re right. And it can mean a as well. 

yes and it can go either way in this sentence and given the context they have the same meaning. so saying he's misleading isn't fair here

Not to get things too back on track, but I asked the journalist the context of the "we have one season" quote (cause, you know, context matters), and he confirmed that it was in the sense of "we have one season to convince people we aren't a perenial bottom-dweller".

Has nothing to do with CPL, MLS, or the survivability of the team, despite the hopes of some on here.

6 hours ago, Sébastien said:

Not to get things too back on track, but I asked the journalist the context of the "we have one season" quote (cause, you know, context matters), and he confirmed that it was in the sense of "we have one season to convince people we aren't a perenial bottom-dweller".

Has nothing to do with CPL, MLS, or the survivability of the team, despite the hopes of some on here.

Why can't you argue you are building for two years from now, building slowly from the bottom up? This year to improve and next season to really make a solid run for playoffs?

Or you say you have these first 10 games of the season to convince everyone? We got to get it going now, not later, not in August.

By talking about a season you do open yourself up to interpretation, since that is the framework of the current discussion regarding CPL: one season left or not.

10 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

The rest of the tweet shows the reporter saying how JDG never runs down the CPL.  Noticed you left that out. 

For those that don't know how to access it:

In general I think there's a huge problem caused by people not understanding that expressing concerns over whether something will work is not the same as wanting it to fail.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

For those that don't know how to access it:

In general I think there's a huge problem caused by people not understanding that expressing concerns over whether something will work is not the same as wanting it to fail.

But it doesn’t fit with the narrative being pushed by some here about the Fury. They made a choice to wait and see. I don’t understand the constant Fredo complex, taking every opportunity to rag on them and put them down. We get it they chose not to play in the CPL this year. Let it go. They are one of the few professional soccer teams in this country and they are giving Canadian kids a chance to play

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why can't you argue you are building for two years from now, building slowly from the bottom up? This year to improve and next season to really make a solid run for playoffs?

Or you say you have these first 10 games of the season to convince everyone? We got to get it going now, not later, not in August.

By talking about a season you do open yourself up to interpretation, since that is the framework of the current discussion regarding CPL: one season left or not.

Agreed, it was a clumsy sentence (though we are also taking a statement made in English, translated to French, and re-translated to English, so it's possible something got lost).

However, considering the Fury have basically been uncompetitive for the last three seasons, I can see why emphasis was put on needing to succeed now. It was just said in a weird way.

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think it's important to bear in mind that participation on this subforum is self-selecting and that the consensus opinion here doesn't necessarily reflect mainstream opinion across Canadian soccer in general.

I get that. But my guess is if you are posting on this site you are genially invested in the development of the game in Canada, more so than the average fan or soccer parent. Instead of a rising tide line of thinking there’s more of a F them let’s crap on them any chance we get mentality. It’s counterproductive and serves no purpose other than internet trolling. Why can’t you wish both the CPL and the Fury are successful because that’s what’s going to further Canadian soccer players?

4 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

...Why can’t you wish both the CPL and the Fury are successful because that’s what’s going to further Canadian soccer players?

You are dealing with people with widely varying IQ levels basically. When people can't grasp that somebody can express concerns about something without actually wanting that negative outcome to happen they start to turn people like JDG into hate figures to be disparaged and get very tribal in their outlook in a binary one league good the other league bad sort of way.

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I get that. But my guess is if you are posting on this site you are genially invested in the development of the game in Canada, more so than the average fan or soccer parent. Instead of a rising tide line of thinking there’s more of a F them let’s crap on them any chance we get mentality. It’s counterproductive and serves no purpose other than internet trolling. Why can’t you wish both the CPL and the Fury are successful because that’s what’s going to further Canadian soccer players?

Checks post history...

confused donald trump GIF

Why can’t you wish both the CPL and the Fury are successful because that’s what’s going to further Canadian soccer players?

With both good fortune for this year. We'll see the Fury in CPL in 2020 or at the CAS.

3 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

But it doesn’t fit with the narrative being pushed by some here about the Fury. They made a choice to wait and see. I don’t understand the constant Fredo complex, taking every opportunity to rag on them and put them down. We get it they chose not to play in the CPL this year. Let it go. They are one of the few professional soccer teams in this country and they are giving Canadian kids a chance to play

I won't rag on them, but I will sure as shit not let it go. 

They chose to fuck the league starting in this country and for reasons that I find totally egregious.

People should be pissed off at them, and it isn't going to go away anytime soon. 

You act as if people critical of the Fury are somehow hoping Ottawa turns into a footy wasteland. That blatantly ignores the fact that every single person that is highly critical of the Fury and their decision wants to see a larger, more successful Ottawa-based club in CPL. It isn't about salting the earth - it is about cultivating a situation in Ottawa  that is most conducive to the long term growth of soccer in that area, and in the rest of the country. 

Clannachan has recently said that he doesn't envision a situation where Ottawa is not represented in CPL. That is what people here want to see. And if that requires the sacrifice of a team seeking to stay in a US lower league in the long term, most people think it is worth it. But most have the Fury joining CPL as their top priority. But either way, having another strong team in CPL is (rightly, IMO) the top priority because it is better for Canadian soccer over the long term. The continued fragmentation of our club landscape - at a time when solidarity would help build a stronger league - is not something many people support. That inconvenient fact doesn't align with your clubs decision and narrative which is unfortunate - but it doesn't change the situation. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

I won't rag on them, but I will sure as shit not let it go. 

They chose to fuck the league starting in this country and for reasons that I find totally egregious.

People should be pissed off at them, and it isn't going to go away anytime soon. 

Fine. That’s your interpretation. From the Fury side they have a different perspective; at this point nobody can which is right and which is wrong. To say they fucked the league isn’t accurate. They’ve stated they are open to joining it but want to wait and see if it gets off the ground. They’ve invested time and money where they are and could potentially lose it all if they go CPL and it flops. Again without a crystal ball there’s no way of knowing. If they decide to wait 5 years and the CPL is growing then ya it’s a mistake. If the league folds or is a continuous money pit then it’s the prudent thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You act as if people critical of the Fury are somehow hoping Ottawa turns into a footy wasteland. That blatantly ignores the fact that every single person that is highly critical of the Fury and their decision wants to see a larger, more successful Ottawa-based club in CPL. It isn't about salting the earth - it is about cultivating a situation in Ottawa  that is most conducive to the long term growth of soccer in that area, and in the rest of the country. 

Clannachan has recently said that he doesn't envision a situation where Ottawa is not represented in CPL. That is what people here want to see. And if that requires the sacrifice of a team seeking to stay in a US lower league in the long term, most people think it is worth it. But most have the Fury joining CPL as their top priority. But either way, having another strong team in CPL is (rightly, IMO) the top priority because it is better for Canadian soccer over the long term. The continued fragmentation of our club landscape - at a time when solidarity would help build a stronger league - is not something many people support. That inconvenient fact doesn't align with your clubs decision and narrative which is unfortunate - but it doesn't change the situation. 

And I’ve stated I want to see the CPL succeed and I think the rightful home for the Fury is in the CPL. But their wait and see approach is partly about experience with those involved with the league and a financial one. They are doing their due diligence and rightfully so. As a business are they not entitled to look out for their interests as well?  

7 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Fine. That’s your interpretation. From the Fury side they have a different perspective; at this point nobody can which is right and which is wrong. To say they fucked the league isn’t accurate. They’ve stated they are open to joining it but want to wait and see if it gets off the ground. They’ve invested time and money where they are and could potentially lose it all if they go CPL and it flops. Again without a crystal ball there’s no way of knowing. If they decide to wait 5 years and the CPL is growing then ya it’s a mistake. If the league folds or is a continuous money pit then it’s the prudent thing to do. 

Fuck that mealy mouthed shit.  They increased the risk of the biggest investment in soccer in this country in our lifetime. 

Our capital does not have a team in our new league because they were not willing to step up when others were, and in a much better position than almost everyone else in the country.

Take your diplomacy elsewhere, they do not deserve our respect.