CPL TV Contract

Some interesting broadcasting tidbits from UEFA's annual benchmark leagues report:

The 20 Premier League clubs received €1.8B ($2.05B) more TV money than they did a decade ago and 54% of Premier League revenue comes from TV rights.

Sweden has the most equitable model in respect to the distribution TV money with a ratio of 1:1.2. The Premier League ratio is 1:1.3 while Portugal is 1:15.4!

The only countries in Europe that don’t sell TV rights centrally are Cyprus and Portugal.

Celtic received six times as much from participating in the Champions League group stage as they did from Scotland’s domestic TV deal.

Only Barcelona, Juventus, and Real Madrid banked more TV money than the 20th Premier League club.

Other tidbits:

In the 2018/19 season, there are 62 different manufacturers across the 54 top divisions. Nike 18% and Adidas 16% have a combined market share of 34%. Joma, Macron, and Puma are the only other manufacturers with a market share of more than 5%.

In the last decade, the number of leagues with a “split-season” format has gone from 8 to 18.

Northern Ireland has the highest percentage of foreign ownership - 6 of 9 (66%). The Premier League is just behind - 13 of 20 (65%).

For most clubs, the matchday fans remain the heartbeat of the club, but
the percentage of overall club revenue that is accounted for by ticketing
has continued to decline, falling from 22% in 2008 to 14% in 2017.

Iceland has the shortest domestic league season, with a total duration of 155 days.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/uefaorg/Clublicensing/02/58/98/12/2589812_DOWNLOAD.pdf

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Here is another company billing themselves as the "Netflix of Soccer".

https://www.sporttechie.com/fanfoot-streaming-service-announces-150-million-rights-for-top-brazilian-soccer-league/

Apparently they bought the global rights to the Brazilian Serie A. Another company that may be interested in scooping up streaming/broadcasting rights.

There are quite a number of services present (and quite a few dead) who get content for a league or two but don't survive because they don't have the paid numbers to make it work. 

Charge too little a month with little other relevant content, and people sign up but will drop them for the other 6 months of the year (business will fail) OR charge $150/yr (DAZN) have lots of great soccer content but people only interested in the CPL won't want to pay (CPL doesn't get enough eyeballs).

33 minutes ago, matty said:

$5 says TSN? Also if they announce something with the schedule everyone has to give me $5 and say "I guess you were right about something you fucking annoying piece of human trash"

I’d be thrilled with any national TV deal. TSN or Sportsnet would catapult this league’s visibility to a level beyond my wildest fantasies on the subject. 

29 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I’d be thrilled with any national TV deal. TSN or Sportsnet would catapult this league’s visibility to a level beyond my wildest fantasies on the subject. 

Agreed. I think the league suddenly becomes much more attractive to players still on the fence. Exposure is so important for their careers.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

There's a lot of qualifiers from Schaad in that statement, and he's prone to embellishment.  Let's see what the deal actually is.

Almost as if he knows that some news about the broadcasting angle is highly likely to be announced at the same time as the schedule, so he is unlikely to be wrong. Think what's of interest is the extent to which they focus on webstreams and whether they have a game of the week on mainstream cable. If the latter happens, the question becomes whether they are having to pay for access or are genuinely getting a significant rights fee.

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

I feel like CBC would make a ton of sense right now.  The rights are likely to be affordable and the chance to show a national pro league would be big for them - especially with cities like Halifax and Victoria involved where typically pro sports haven’t been available.  

I have always felt from the beginning that the CPL makes a lot of sense for CBC. As you say, it will likely not be expensive, and it does have some serious potential appeal. Not to mention CBC programming could always use a boast. In addition, it would likely not take the most elaborate/expensive production for them. I think the more interesting question might be whether the league is interested in CBC. When you really want to get bums in the seats, any sort of consistent national broadcast could be suspect. Also, with all the streaming choices and the way things seem to be moving forward, the league may try to be more innovative. It would be great if some form of hybrid of a streaming service and a CBC game of the week national broadcast emerged. 

8 hours ago, ted said:

I trust my source and it will be HUGE, far beyond what I would have imagined possible.

Looking forward to hearing the news then - any idea when? Is this the rumoured announcement next week (29th was the date I thought I saw). 

TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC would all make me incredibly happy. 

This would be very good for the league if a TSN, Sportsnet or a CBC showed CPL games. But being the eternal  pessimist that I am and always have been I’m reminded that our last try at a national league CSL of the late 80’s and early 90’s also had a national TV deal with TSN. For the ones old enough to remember who can forget Vic Rauter’s classic call of Mobilio every time he scored a goal . It’s still won’t be a slam dunk that even with a mainstream TV deal the league would be a sure thing to survive and prosper for years to come , but it would be a very positive development for the league and a very good way to start and at least it would bring the awareness that the league exists even to the casual sports fan. However, one would hope with soccer in general seemingly more popular in Canada than it was during the old CSL days with everything we have now with smartphones and all the different social media and what not,  this league has a much better chance to survive and prosper and having a mainstream national TV deal should only help even more than in did in the old CSL days .

Edited by 1996

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Yeah, I mean TSN is a little better than it was. I wonder when people say "huge" if what were actually talking about is getting some $$$ into the league. 

I think the exposure a TV deal would bring is worth more than some additional revenue - given any $$ likely would be pretty modest at the outset.  Getting the broader public and casual sports fans interested in CPL would be the biggest benefit of this kind of exposure IMO.

11 hours ago, ted said:

I trust my source and it will be HUGE, far beyond what I would have imagined possible.

My source says this source is actually wrong and that it is actually much much BIGGER than this. It so crazy that it actually defines physics and the boundaries the time-space continuum. Everyone will have brain aneurysms from this announcement.

12 hours ago, ted said:

I imagined that it was possible for TSN to broadcast some games with the league paying for the expenses of putting the games on. But now that I hear this, I'm assuming it's 8 figure deals from each of TSN (Canada), ESPN (USA), and Sky (UK).