CPL TV Contract

10 hours ago, matty said:

I've heard similar with station I won't say but not idea about streaming services (this was back in 2017 before all the new guys like DAZN and OZ popped up).

I ask because it seems this has been an issue for the league (if the Ottawa rumours are to be believed) and the answers when asked about it have always be vague and every time a new streaming service comes but they mention they're excitement with it. If they release the schedule and there's no broadcasting list it would be very suspect.

Also do you mean there own app? The one that has been downloaded under 500 times?

What I’m saying is that I think it might be 1 game of the week on national TV, every local in-market game on a local channel and the app, and out of market games only on the app. Yes, their app! Who cares that it’s downloaded only a few times as of today? It’s a good app, and if it streams games I’d bet that it’ll get downloaded thousands of times more. 

For the record, I’d prefer an only TV deal. I don’t expect it though. The worst case scenario in my opinion is DAZN or the like. 

Since they acquired the Champions League I haven’t seen more than a game or two at my brother’s house, and nobody in my circle of friends has either, and we all used to watch it regularly. It’s as if the CL has disappeared from the public sphere altogether. I used to hear casual fans talk about it, not anymore! If CPL winds up on DAZN or something similar, I fear that it too will disappear. It’ll never reach a single casual fan that way.

15 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

What I’m saying is that I think it might be 1 game of the week on national TV, every local in-market game on a local channel and the app, and out of market games only on the app. Yes, their app! Who cares that it’s downloaded only a few times as of today? It’s a good app, and if it streams games I’d bet that it’ll get downloaded thousands of times more. 

For the record, I’d prefer an only TV deal. I don’t expect it though. The worst case scenario in my opinion is DAZN or the like. 

Since they acquired the Champions League I haven’t seen more than a game or two at my brother’s house, and nobody in my circle of friends has either, and we all used to watch it regularly. It’s as if the CL has disappeared from the public sphere altogether. I used to hear casual fans talk about it, not anymore! If CPL winds up on DAZN or something similar, I fear that it too will disappear. It’ll never reach a single casual fan that way.

You don't have to snap about the app. The apps download number matters mainly because they haven't pushed it so they'd be asking potential sponsors to take them on an even bigger leap of faith and taking more responsibility if the app isn't up to the task or flops (which it could CPL numbers are all over the place online).

Pretty much agree on what you think the league will be but am cautious about national deal.

I kind of share your view on DAZN, I think it's an interesting app but NO ONE I know has it (even big soccer and NFL fans) and none of the local sports bars near me have it either. I've heard a few guys here  claim to have it and say it's good and I'm sure it is but I do worry it won't bring the needed eyes.

I kind of prefer the idea of a smaller or more specialty streaming service over DAZN (like OZ) or a larger platform (like Twitch) because I think the league would be better promoted by a smaller service (it would also be at a smaller cost) and would allow the CPL more control and provide a more interactive fan experience on something like Twitch. Just looking at the Flo Sports/DC United deal, DC United are all over that site now and something like that could be good for CPL.

To add, TSN shouldn't be written off if the CPL and CanMNT/WNT games were really being pushed together.

22 minutes ago, matty said:

You don't have to snap about the app. The apps download number matters mainly because they haven't pushed it so they'd be asking potential sponsors to take them on an even bigger leap of faith and taking more responsibility if the app isn't up to the task or flops (which it could CPL numbers are all over the place online).

Pretty much agree on what you think the league will be but am cautious about national deal.

I kind of share your view on DAZN, I think it's an interesting app but NO ONE I know has it (even big soccer and NFL fans) and none of the local sports bars near me have it either. I've heard a few guys here  claim to have it and say it's good and I'm sure it is but I do worry it won't bring the needed eyes.

I kind of prefer the idea of a smaller or more specialty streaming service over DAZN (like OZ) or a larger platform (like Twitch) because I think the league would be better promoted by a smaller service (it would also be at a smaller cost) and would allow the CPL more control and provide a more interactive fan experience on something like Twitch. Just looking at the Flo Sports/DC United deal, DC United are all over that site now and something like that could be good for CPL.

To add, TSN shouldn't be written off if the CPL and CanMNT/WNT games were really being pushed together.

I think a TSN deal would be a dream come true. I agree that it is possible, but I’m trying to tamp down my expectations a bit. 

20 minutes ago, matty said:

That is one of a few advantages to just streaming over their own app. If they have something like Twitch its a much more known and existing commodity and will double the promotion of the league while opening it up to other Twitch users from all over.

Streaming over the app is fine for us hardcores but it will be hard to draw in neutrals. 

23 minutes ago, matty said:

It just makes sense. 'TSN the home of Canadian Soccer' They can then package that statement with the MLS Canadian team coverage they already have. The problems for TSN comes if game times are likely clashing with CFL or their usual mid afternoon or evening schedules. EPL was great as what else are you airing in the mornings its perfect placement for a whole day of sports. 

19 hours ago, matty said:

The league continues to work on broadcast rights.

Clanachan said the CPL is looking closely at D.C. United, the MLS team which recently announced a multi-year broadcast deal with FloSports to stream its non-nationally broadcast games.

Those matches will stream on FloFC.com, which is dedicated to soccer content. D.C. United season ticket-holders, partners and supporters' group members will receive discounted subscriptions (US$5.99 a month) while others will be charged $8.99 a month.

"No doubt it's a bold move," Clanachan said of the D.C. United decision. "That whole world is changing and we're paying very close attention to it."

https://www.timescolonist.com/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-offers-a-look-at-new-league-ahead-of-kickoff-1.23599749

think they have a plan or something in the works yet or are just reaching out to everyone? this has been one of the oddly slow developments

So it's about ~3 months from launch and they're still figuring this out? I assume they are planning to make matches available to watch right from day 1 even if they don't have the rights deal done before launch. Because it would be real bad if they didn't...

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Or we could just wait on the league?

TV deals are unbelievably complex and we don't know at which stage of negotiations they currently are.

They're complex but a broadcast partnership (unless you're just doing streams on their own) usually come with or prior the the schedule being announced at this level.

With the schedule being a week (maybe) away and broadcast talk still very loose and them seemingly still researching stuff, it's a little strange. Not panic button strange but a little strange

Edited by matty

6 minutes ago, matty said:

They're complex but a broadcast partnership (unless you're just doing streams on their own) usually come with or prior the the schedule being announced at this level. 

It's a new league having to deal with CFL, MLS and to some extend, the Jays. Now that the Canadian Championship schedule came out and MLS schedule recently came out, they can finalize theirs. 

Most likely, early drafts have been showed to potential broadcasters. Just saying there are set of circumstances justifying the delay.

As others point out already, CPL can't expect to have priority over CFL or MLS. So they have to work around all those dates and time.

This certainly doesn't mean that they don't have their act together and are not diligently working on it.

Edited by Ansem

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's a new league having to deal with CFL, MLS and to some extend, the Jays. Now that the Canadian Championship schedule came out and MLS schedule recently came out, they can finalize theirs. 

Most likely, early drafts have been showed to potential broadcasters. Just saying there are set of circumstances justifying the delay.

As others point out already, CPL can't expect to have priority over CFL or MLS. So they have to work around all those dates and time.

This certainly doesn't mean that they don't have their act together and are not diligently working on it.

You don't need to look for excuses for the league, everyone get they're going to have issues, but again it's usually worked out. Even when dealing with streaming deals, the deal is set and announced prior often (look at NLL and Twitter).

And I'm not saying they don't (despite some odd things that have happened) and are not (they sure as hell are).

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...because the schedule will be arranged only after consulting with the broadcaster on game times.

Usually the broadcaster is consulted yes. It's unlikely they're just going to broadcasters with a schedule and asking "this work for you?".

Edited by matty

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

See? We do agree on stuff!

I'm sure we do sometimes agree, but my point was more that the announcement of a mainstream cable broadcaster would normally be expected to be imminent if the schedule is coming out in as soon as 7 to 10 days. It really isn't long now until the league kicks off, so the broadcaster would normally be consulted on game times. My guess is that there probably isn't going to be one at least in game of the week on mainstream cable terms anyway and highlighting DC United was a very strong hint at where things are headed on this. Time will tell.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I guess my concern is related to how the actual production(cameras, graphics, replays, commentators)of the broadcasts are going to be handled. If CPL is handling this then no worries because even if there is no rights deal in place then you will still have the games produced and you could just put the feed on youtube...

However if CPL is just expecting the potential rights holder to handle production...well then you definitely want to have it sorted out well before the season starts in case nothing comes to fruition and you end up scrambling to try to put together game broadcasts.

As a taxpayer, I'd really like CBC to pick up a match of the week. They cover all kinds of Canadian content that doesn't necessarily appeal to the masses for the sole purpose of giving Canadians exposure.  Promoting a new all-Canadian league should be right in their wheelhouse. Of course I'd also support it being on TSN. They have 5 channels, for goodness sake. I don't need to watch a CFL match on all 5 of them.

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're the brains behind TV contract. I'm complimenting you

*posts eyeroll emoji* oh thank you glad you're not salty at all with my looking at real world examples of when tv deals and scheduling are announced

Edited by matty

It’s a tough call to make re the broadcasting deal.  You can’t even call it a TV deal because the world is changing.. streaming or TV?  It’s a tough call if you’re committing for a few years.  

TV will expand the reach to eyes that wouldn’t otherwise see games but streaming is a direct and easily accessible outlet today.

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s a tough call to make re the broadcasting deal.  You can’t even call it a TV deal because the world is changing.. streaming or TV?  It’s a tough call if you’re committing for a few years.  

TV will expand the reach to eyes that wouldn’t otherwise see games but streaming is a direct and easily accessible outlet today.

The landscape has drastically changed and it can't be as "black and white" as it used to be in the past. If anything, things got way more complex than before.