CPL TV Contract

17 minutes ago, Initial B said:

This talk of CBC as a possible broadcaster reminded me - didn't they trademark "Soccer Night in Canada" about a year or two ago? It would also make sense from a Crown Corporation perspective that a deal could be seen as the government helping subsidize a league for Canadian Content purposes as the CRTC mandates.

There are so many positives re CBC.  I have enumerated them before, but just for the sake of beating a dead equine...

CBC:

• Has a mandate to carry Canadian content
  • Is challenged to compete with TSN/Sportsnet for "big league" content, and has a gap in soccer coverage (a sport hugely growing in popularity)
  • Provides coast to coast access to all Canadians free of charge (ie. Great exposure for the league).
  • Has the capacity to show local games on regional carriers for optimal impact
  • Has demonstrated capacity for high quality soccer programming (including all those intangibles noted above) during the last 2 world cups
  • Has a strong online platform for sports, as demonstrated during high-demand events like the Olympics and WC
  • Has a mandate to promote Canadian culture – which includes sport
  • Is intended to reflect and promote the cultural diversity of Canada – in a context where soccer (aka “football”) is the world’s most popular sport

In short:

• Image result for retro cbc             ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

54 minutes ago, LAK said:

Also, live switching is an art form. The director/switcher has to know the sport in order to make the right cuts. All this is happening live so the decision making is crazy fast. Unless, you turn on two cameras and put it on youtube...

oh fuck yea. if that wasn't done in teams it would be almost impossible to do. after sound it's the most important part of any broadcast

I think they key for this league to thrive is to win over causal sports fans. In order to do this there is only one answer 'Television'. CBC, TSN, Sportsnet (or any other major network that will broadcast it). Also you will need TV, Radio Stations and newspapers reporting on it. Anything short of that it will be considered a minor league outfit by casual and non sports fans.

CBC is absolutely the ideal choice. Everyone gets it that has a tv even on the most basic packages that dont have tsn/sportsnet. Accessibility wise you are getting as great a reach as you can. 

For general sports fans that dont have tsn/snet this could be a buy in. 

If they combine live tv with on demand/streaming on CBC I'd be over the moon. 

Does the CBC have any money to invest in a new property?  Because that's what this would be.  A new property and an investment.

Hope they do but I don't think they have the clink.

TSN bought into the CFL when they could do so on the cheap and that investment may be the best one TSN every made.  But there was risk in that and TSN still needed, and had, the dollars and cents to take that risk.  In 2019 could the CBC do the same with the CPL? 

Don't know, but doubt it.      

Cause we're talking about funding a fair bit, one thing that I think should be mentioned is the new CRTC moves regarding digital platforms. It could see someone like DAZN seeking to bring something like the CPL on board to meet CanCon requirements or see Netflix pay into the Canada Media Fund which might be directed towards sports or apps relating to sports (for example Anthem, who own Fight Network, GameTV, and Impact Wrestling have gotten funds from it a number of times for a lot of their fantasy sport apps and (I believe) their wrestling streaming service).

Edited by matty

I think I'd prefer Sportsnet or TSN over CBC. CBC doesn't have a dedicated sports channel. Where as Sportsnet/TSN have 5-7 channels each dedicated 24/7 to sports and it's pretty much guaranteed that every game would be shown on TV no matter what day/time. With CBC I doubt they would show more than one game a week on TV and it would probably have to fall into a certain time period(ie saturday afternoon) or it would be conflicting with other planned programming.

Also sports fans are not likely going to flipping to CBC with the remote. They are going to be flipping to Sportsnet or TSN so marketing and crossover potential from other sports is much better.

Edited by mpg_29

You know what would actually make a lot of sense?  Sportsnet World carrying the games.  That's a channel that could use some live evening programming.  Yes, it's a pay channel.  But so is DAZN.  And this method would result in Sportsnet pushing the product more.

34 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

You know what would actually make a lot of sense?  Sportsnet World carrying the games.  That's a channel that could use some live evening programming.  Yes, it's a pay channel.  But so is DAZN.  And this method would result in Sportsnet pushing the product more.

I disagree. That's a pretty niche channel.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It is.  And you know what?  It's a pretty niche league right now.  And it's no more niche than DAZN, which lots of people on here have talked about as an option.

DAZN has the NFL and several major soccer and rugby leagues. It's noticeably less niche. beIN on the other hand I think you could make the case is as/more niche than SportsnetWorld

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

DAZN has the NFL and several major soccer and rugby leagues. It's noticeably less niche. beIN on the other hand I think you could make the case is as/more niche than SportsnetWorld

And Sportsnet World carries EPL and Bundesliga live.  I'm not saying it's the best spot for the CPL, I'm saying I could see it as an option that Sportsnet might want to pursue.  Putting live soccer in the evening on the channel to push additional sales of it, and not having to worry about it conflicting with the Jays or hockey games.

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

And Sportsnet World carries EPL and Bundesliga live.  I'm not saying it's the best spot for the CPL, I'm saying I could see it as an option that Sportsnet might want to pursue.  Putting live soccer in the evening on the channel to push additional sales of it, and not having to worry about it conflicting with the Jays or hockey games.

That first point is mute as EPL and Bundesliga are no where near as mainsteam as the NFL in Canada. They're barely at the levels of major rugby events when it comes to TV viewership.

I do agree it is an option for CPL and might get it, I'm just saying you can't really call Sportnet World equal niche to DAZN cause DAZN's programming is far more mainstream

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

That first point is mute as EPL and Bundesliga are no where near as mainsteam as the NFL in Canada. They're barely at the level's of rugby when it comes to TV viewership.

I do agree it is an option for CPL and might get it, I'm just saying you can't really call Sportnet World equal niche to DAZN cause DAZN's programming is far more mainstream

Sure.  But I guess my point is, if EPL and Bundesliga don't draw TV viewership, how much is the CPL going to draw?  MLS gets low numbers too.

37 minutes ago, matty said:

That first point is mute as EPL and Bundesliga are no where near as mainsteam as the NFL in Canada. They're barely at the levels of major rugby events when it comes to TV viewership.

Is that really true? I was under the impression that soccer was the second most watched sport, behind hockey, for generations younger than the baby boomers

3 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Is that really true? I was under the impression that soccer was the second most watched sport, behind hockey, for generations younger than the baby boomers

EPL games usually nab like 100-150k viewers in Canada while NFL does between 800k and 1m. Also soccer isn't, for GenXers football is bigger and if you break millenials into gen z and 21-34 year olds, the 21-34 year-olds prefer basketball. Figure skating is also more universally liked than soccer and MMA draws bigger numbers with young men.

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sure.  But I guess my point is, if EPL and Bundesliga don't draw TV viewership, how much is the CPL going to draw?  MLS gets low numbers too.

mls does ok with the caps and tfc also do ok but a little less. both usually do better than epl

1 hour ago, matty said:

mls does ok with the caps and tfc also do ok but a little less. both usually do better than epl

If the numbers for EPL games are in the 100-150k range, then both the Whitecaps and TFC do worse.  Typically their numbers are in the 80-90k range.

Edited by Watchmen

55 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Whitecaps vs TFC or Impact is typically 300k+. CFL would be double that, so no reason CPL couldn't draw a couple hundred thousand with the right production.

I'm not sure I'd say typically. I don't know of them ever hitting those numbers on a regular season game. TFC got a ton of momentum from the playoffs and championship two years ago, but the momentum didn't carry to the next season tv ratings wise. I thought they hit a million against Montreal in the playoffs that one year...I think that's the peak though.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If the numbers for EPL games are in the 100-150k range, then both the Whitecaps and TFC do worse.  Typically their numbers are in the 80-90k range.

whitecaps are usually around 135K+ and tfc are usually 95-150k. I'll add the 100-150k games are for like Man City and Chelsea outside of that it's usually under 100k

58 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Whitecaps vs TFC or Impact is typically 300k+. CFL would be double that, so no reason CPL couldn't draw a couple hundred thousand with the right production.

35k+ would be fine and it's not about production but a promotion + production

1 hour ago, matty said:

35k+ would be fine and it's not about production but a promotion + production

Is 35k in primetime fine from the a tv networks perspective?  That's the question, because for the cost of production I don't think it is.  And why I said Sportsnet might be interested in having it on World vs the regular network.