CPL TV Contract

8 hours ago, matty said:

They're complex but a broadcast partnership (unless you're just doing streams on their own) usually come with or prior the the schedule being announced at this level.

Actually they don't necessarily, in North America, USL and NASL broadcast deals have typically been announced in February, March, and April and after the schedule was released.

45 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Actually they don't necessarily, in North America, USL and NASL broadcast deals have typically been announced in February, March, and April and after the schedule was released.

they're more the exception. nfl, cfl, nhl, mlb, mls, nll, nba usually announce broadcast changes in advance or with schedule. we're even seeing this happen with mma, pro wrestling (which counts as sports broadcasting), e-sports. cpl might follow this but yea they could follow the usl and nasl.......god i hope they are following the nasl's approach to running a league

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Anyone knows if that would be part of the DAZN offering in Canada?

should know shortly they update quickly with stuff like this. 

side note this article shitting on dazn's branding as the netflix of sports https://awfulannouncing.com/netflix/despite-their-best-marketing-efforts-dazn-isnt-the-netflix-of-sports.html

last paragraph makes this note:

I’m struggling to see a path for DAZN to become the “Netflix of sports” because its window for potential viewers will always be limited by what’s on live right now. Comparing DAZN to Netflix is not the best comparison, because even if DAZN shells out billions of dollars to acquire live rights for the NFL, NBA, NHL, and any other sports league you can think of, people aren’t going to be using the app during all hours of the day, like users can with Netflix. A better comparison would be an over the top version of Fox Sports Go/WatchESPN/NBC Sports Live that doesn’t require a cable subscription, but that doesn’t roll off the tongue nearly as well as “Netflix of sports”.

In reality, that has much more appeal than being the “Netflix of sports,” because it’s something that sports fans have been clamoring for ever since streaming became widespread. But until DAZN acquires more highly regarded rights in America, it won’t make much of a dent in the cable bundle landscape.

Edited by matty

8 minutes ago, matty said:

side note this article shitting on dazn's branding as the netflix of sports https://awfulannouncing.com/netflix/despite-their-best-marketing-efforts-dazn-isnt-the-netflix-of-sports.html

I’m struggling to see a path for DAZN to become the “Netflix of sports” because its window for potential viewers will always be limited by what’s on live right now. Comparing DAZN to Netflix is not the best comparison, because even if DAZN shells out billions of dollars to acquire live rights for the NFL, NBA, NHL, and any other sports league you can think of, people aren’t going to be using the app during all hours of the day, like users can with Netflix. A better comparison would be an over the top version of Fox Sports Go/WatchESPN/NBC Sports Live that doesn’t require a cable subscription, but that doesn’t roll off the tongue nearly as well as “Netflix of sports”.

In reality, that has much more appeal than being the “Netflix of sports,” because it’s something that sports fans have been clamoring for ever since streaming became widespread. But until DAZN acquires more highly regarded rights in America, it won’t make much of a dent in the cable bundle landscape.

I guess the author has never used DAZN. They have sports shows and you can watch any of the game streamed on demand. I watch many games in the evening after they are played. Like Copa del Ray, Coupe de France and Champions League.

6 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I guess the author has never used DAZN. They have sports shows and you can watch any of the game streamed on demand. I watch many games in the evening after they are played. Like Copa del Ray, Coupe de France and Champions League.

they seem to know DAZN's features (they mention watching replays) and have a point on the difference between watching sports programming and watching regular programming or sports documentaries. those have lots of reply value (sometimes endless) when compared to sports

This is an interesting announcement for the Toronto Arrows (Rugby) that may give some insight into what we could see from a CPL broadcast announcement:

https://torontoarrows.com/2019/01/18/toronto-arrows-announce-gametv-as-2019-television-broadcast-partner/

I don't have cable so I don't know what GameTV is but it seems foolish not to have an ability to stream as well.  I know the wolfpack are on cbcsports.ca which I appreciate.  

32 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't have DAZN, and I haven't read the article, but the excerpt you have pasted makes a pretty flimsy argument in my mind. It sounds like DAZN and this author have different definitions of what it means to be a "Netflix". DAZN seems to think of it as "the thing you use to watch movies/shows". Hence, aiming to be the Netflix of sports means it wants to be "the thing you use to watch sports". The auther however seems to define it more like "the thing you watch all the time" and then goes on to say that people don't want to watch sports all the time.

I don't know why I'm even commenting on this. It's just stupid.

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't have DAZN, and I haven't read the article, but the excerpt you have pasted makes a pretty flimsy argument in my mind. It sounds like DAZN and this author have different definitions of what it means to be a "Netflix". DAZN seems to think of it as "the thing you use to watch movies/shows". Hence, aiming to be the Netflix of sports means it wants to be "the thing you use to watch sports". The auther however seems to define it more like "the thing you watch all the time" and then goes on to say that people don't want to watch sports all the time.

I don't know why I'm even commenting on this. It's just stupid.

i've always seen the use of netflix by dazn to mean "THE platform for streaming longform video content with endless content" because that's what netflix is when compared to other sites like hulu or amazon (biggest service with the biggest library and most rewatchable content). 

Edited by matty

6 hours ago, downtownordinary said:

This is an interesting announcement for the Toronto Arrows (Rugby) that may give some insight into what we could see from a CPL broadcast announcement:

https://torontoarrows.com/2019/01/18/toronto-arrows-announce-gametv-as-2019-television-broadcast-partner/

I don't have cable so I don't know what GameTV is but it seems foolish not to have an ability to stream as well.  I know the wolfpack are on cbcsports.ca which I appreciate.  

Game TV is on the low numbers of Rogers in Toronto at only Channel 73.  That means it's on one of the lower tier packages---lower than some of the extra Sportsnet channels.  

Both Saturday and Sunday afternoons they have compilations of 'Best of Impact Wrestling'.  Weekdays they have game shows ie Newlywed Game, Password etc.  

Primetime they have movies, Shark Tank, and prime time game shows.  

There are so many channels like this with identical programming.  

4 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Game TV is on the low numbers of Rogers in Toronto at only Channel 73.  That means it's on one of the lower tier packages---lower than some of the extra Sportsnet channels.  

Both Saturday and Sunday afternoons they have compilations of 'Best of Impact Wrestling'.  Weekdays they have game shows ie Newlywed Game, Password etc.  

Primetime they have movies, Shark Tank, and prime time game shows.  

There are so many channels like this with identical programming.  

GameTV's owners (Anthem SnE, who are based in Toronto) own some interesting assets including Impact, Fight Network, that fantasy sports network, some extreme sports network, a US based outdoors channel (they claim it's the largest), and several sports apps. They seem to like sports programming and do have reach but from what I've read they're somewhat wobbly since buying Impact. I'm doubtful CPL is talking with them but wouldn't rule out that they've had communication as they appear to be the biggest Canadian specialty sports programmer and do have relationships with groups like UFC.

Edited by matty

I'm sitting here this afternoon watching the All Star Game for the CWHL on Sportsnet.  The league has six teams (one of which is in China) and its players make between $2k and $10k per season.  Maybe 3-4k people in attendance at the Scotiabank Arena.  The league's not exactly drowning in money.

I know that most people shit on the idea of an ASG, but if it takes this kind of marquee game to get some televised publicity for the league, they should consider it.

4 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm sitting here this afternoon watching the All Star Game for the CWHL on Sportsnet.  The league has six teams (one of which is in China) and its players make between $2k and $10k per season.  Maybe 3-4k people in attendance at the Scotiabank Arena.  The league's not exactly drowning in money.

I know that most people shit on the idea of an ASG, but if it takes this kind of marquee game to get some televised publicity for the league, they should consider it.

I like the idea of an all-star game of sorts. I prefer every team having a high profile friendly but all-star games are fine. Maybe to a pro bowl type game after the season. I'd like that and I think many here would prefer that over a more common one.

Oddly this is the second post I've seen today that mentions a very "American" idea that is fine. The other was on Reddit and someone mentioned the idea of teams having mascots. While both are fine, I think an ASG is the only thing we'll see.

Edited by matty

Stripped, checkered, poka dot.  They all suck.  S-U-C-K.  Suck.

The NHL actually dose an excellent job of making their All Star Game an event because they made it into an ice-capade and don't take it too seriously.  It's a kids birthday party.  They treat it like that, the entertainment matches, and so everyone has fun. 

The league is going to have to have some sort of player recognition.  And they can have fun with that to.  There's going to be a Golden Boot award at the end of the year of course, may as well have a League 1st Eleven or All Star Team or whatever you want to call it to go along with the occasion.   Let the fans choose their picks, let the managers/media have their pick and let the debates begin. 

So more pro-bowl.  An end of season thingy except no actual match.  Let the fans vote over the last month of so and make the results public as they come in.  Just to keep it all lively until the end.            

49 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Stripped, checkered, poka dot.  They all suck.  S-U-C-K.  Suck.

The NHL actually dose an excellent job of making their All Star Game an event because they made it into an ice-capade and don't take it too seriously.  It's a kids birthday party.  They treat it like that, the entertainment matches, and so everyone has fun. 

The league is going to have to have some sort of player recognition.  And they can have fun with that to.  There's going to be a Golden Boot award at the end of the year of course, may as well have a League 1st Eleven or All Star Team or whatever you want to call it to go along with the occasion.   Let the fans choose their picks, let the managers/media have their pick and let the debates begin. 

So more pro-bowl.  An end of season thingy except no actual match.  Let the fans vote over the last month of so and make the results public as they come in.  Just to keep it all lively until the end.            

Fair enough on disliking them. Agree the NHL does a great job with it's all-star game but should be said the NBA and MLB all-star games' surrounding events are pretty fun. MLB had the best when there were stakes to it but since it's gotten dull.

I fully agree if it happens it SHOULD be an end of season thing (main season is too busy for a mid-season game) but don't think it should just be a league XI vs fan XI on paper honour. I think there's something fun to having an actual game and that it could be a good press thing especially if they did it for charity. I actually like a league XI vs a fan XI for it no matter what they do.

46 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Not directly related to CPL but related to the sports streaming sphere in Canada.

TSN will offer 24-hour streaming pass for $4.99:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/18/tsn-daily-24-hour-streaming-memberships/

Current monthly membership is $24.99/mth. 

I hope CPL does end up with TSN. They make the most overall sense and have the reach (even with mobile). They're also one of the few outlets to follow CPL back on Twitter.

Edited by matty

56 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Not directly related to CPL but related to the sports streaming sphere in Canada.

TSN will offer 24-hour streaming pass for $4.99:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/18/tsn-daily-24-hour-streaming-memberships/

Current monthly membership is $24.99/mth. 

I might actually cancel my monthly subscription for this. I only have it for Canadian MLS teams. I have TFC seats so I will be at most home games so I might only need to pay for the day pass 2 or 3 times a month for away games. Also I hope those times have TFC at 7 and Whitecaps at 10 so I can see all of those Canadians!

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I might actually cancel my monthly subscription for this. I only have it for Canadian MLS teams. I have TFC seats so I will be at most home games so I might only need to pay for the day pass 2 or 3 times a month for away games. Also I hope those times have TFC at 7 and Whitecaps at 10 so I can see all of those Canadians!

Yeah I mean you could do this 5 times/mth and you'd only be matching the monthly subscription. So I could see cases where this route would be cheaper for some people. Only annoying thing might be going the purchasing process each time..

Just now, Tigers said:

It really is a crime that the regular is 24.99, when you look at ESPN+ gives you for 4.99. I wish we could get that here.

It might be, but it's two different things. ESPN+ just gives you  smaller stuff. I don't think it's fair to compare both. Because ESPN+ doesn't give you access to what is on ESPN or ESPN2. Like you're not getting any MLB, NFL and NBA with this. TSN Direct gives you access to everything someone who has TSN on cable has.