CPL TV Contract

On 12/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, juicy sushi said:

Not a bad way to serve the faithful.  USL has all their stuff on youtube and it does help accessibility tremendously. 

Hopefully CPL can do better than Youtube.

DAZN or a "CPL Live" streaming platform in conjunction with some games on National TV as well as local TV for home matches is the way to go.

I walked in to a bar the other day and the owner was watching Europa league. He was a Gunners fan so he used his sign in from home. A few weeks ago i watched a few Benfica fans walk out of a bar because there was no champions league. I tried to explain to them and the bar owner that its not on tsn its now on DAZN and its an app you could easily get. The combined age of the group might have been 1000 so by the end they all just threw their hands up and assumed i was crazy. I might as well have been speaking another language 

54 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I walked in to a bar the other day and the owner was watching Europa league. He was a Gunners fan so he used his sign in from home. A few weeks ago i watched a few Benfica fans walk out of a bar because there was no champions league. I tried to explain to them and the bar owner that its not on tsn its now on DAZN and its an app you could easily get. The combined age of the group might have been 1000 so by the end they all just threw their hands up and assumed i was crazy. I might as well have been speaking another language 

This is the problem, most of the bars/pubs are familiar with the regular broadcasting and have commercial licenses for it but actually getting them to put up the DAZN feed is an issue. I searched high and low for a bar having the Canelo fight on just over a week ago and only one place had it and was charging for it as well. All the other usual places had no clue about how to put up a DAZN broadcast.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:50 AM, Ruffian said:

My only thought is 'please don't be the TSN GO guys'.

Seems they do 'Ticats TV live streaming, mobile ticketing, in-seat ordering, in-stadium WiFi, and in-game contesting'. Any Ticats fans?

I've only used the streaming once for a pre season game, but I think it went okay. The mobile ticketing works quite well. 

11 hours ago, Tigers said:

^^^ This one is my favourite.

On another note, I will say about streaming that there will be some growing pains during the transition years.  As other have noted, for many of us it is like the Champion's league isn't happening this year.  I bump into highlights every once in a while, but not nearly as much as when TSN showed them a lot to promote their own coverage. 

If that kind of vacuum happens around CPL, it can't possibly be good for the league in terms of gaining broader attention.  Sure, they may get some needed revenue from DAZN while they try to capture the footy market, but in the meantime the average sports fan will see nothing in terms of casual exposure.  In the end, I think that is a blow to CPL gaining wider traction.  And I don't think l die-hard interest alone will be sufficient in terms of viewership. 

I hope I am wrong, but I think that this could really limit the growth of the league in the early years. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

With DAZN getting the rights to the major soccer leagues from TSN and Sportsnet, shouldn't they be more interested in CPL?

They might just not be interested in CPL. Too niche, not a big enough local fanbase, no proven level, too much big soccer already there. They might not see much to gain from it at the current time.

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It would be nice to get some official resolution of this issue.  The season is scheduled to start in just over 3 months, so hopefully we will hear something soon.

honestly i'm expected them to announce their they'll be streaming on twitch in the next 60-90 days maybe with local broadcasts. i no longer expect any kind of "proper" national deal to come out for year 1 unless it's a really unexpected channel like that cricket channel or yes tv. either way do hope this is resolved soon as it's been one of the biggest question marks hanging over the league (maybe a more impactful one than the salary cap).

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, matty said:

They might just not be interested in CPL. Too niche, not a big enough local fanbase, no proven level, too much big soccer already there. They might not see much to gain from it at the current time.

Likewise shouldn't sportsnet and tsn be more interested now they lost EPL.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Darts isn't?

darts is probably a part of another deal that landed them darts in the first place. you realize that right?

you can score multiple distribution rights at once and darts is big enough in the europe to probably score a deal for canada and the us with a euro deal

Edited by matty