CPL TV Contract

4 minutes ago, Alex D said:

MLS does this with Nike and Adidas

i mean mls promotes both but that's not part of tv deals for 2 different organizations.

were the rights to the canmt, canwt and cpl all being dealt as a package? i have a bit of a hard time seeing them being outright packaged together cause otherwise cpl would be on tsn given the partnership between bell and tsn and the csa.

9 hours ago, matty said:

i mean mls promotes both but that's not part of tv deals for 2 different organizations.

were the rights to the canmt, canwt and cpl all being dealt as a package? i have a bit of a hard time seeing them being outright packaged together cause otherwise cpl would be on tsn given the partnership between bell and tsn and the csa.

Tv rights are bundled for MLS and the US National teams.

52 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Tv rights are bundled for MLS and the US National teams.

sorry misunderstood you there. are they dealt as a package or are they handled by the same organization? i'm legit asking

Edited by matty

This is what I was refering to when I asked if that 3rd party was still offering rights as a package. I guess the correct word was bundle. Make of it what you will, @matty

http://mediaincanada.com/2018/08/23/thepostgame-to-sell-media-rights-for-canada-soccer-cpl/

"It has bundled the CPL’s media rights with those of Canada’s national men’s and women’s teams, which ThePostGame will also take to market."

37 minutes ago, matty said:

sorry misunderstood you there. are they dealt as a package or are they handled by the same organization? i'm legit asking

They are packaged together through Soccer United Marketing, an organization owned by MLS. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

My understanding was that CSB will be looking to do the same for CPL, Men's & Women's National team games and Canadian Championship.

Take all or get none...

Given that the CSA has struggled to get games on TV, I would worry that networks would take the "get none" option.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Given that the CSA has struggled to get games on TV, I would worry that networks would take the "get none" option.

The team was bad before... but Alphonso Davies being our soccer wonderkid, it will be hard for them to pass on broadcasting games of Davies with a stronger CanMNT that might actually do well in tournaments.

If we still sucked like before, you'd be a 100% right

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

This is what I was refering to when I asked if that 3rd party was still offering rights as a package. I guess the correct word was bundle. Make of it what you will, @matty

http://mediaincanada.com/2018/08/23/thepostgame-to-sell-media-rights-for-canada-soccer-cpl/

"It has bundled the CPL’s media rights with those of Canada’s national men’s and women’s teams, which ThePostGame will also take to market."

so tsn is the official front runner then?

question regarding tsn: has there been a senior competitive home game they have not carried on one of their platforms since 2016? if so how many for men and women and how many friendlies?

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, matty said:

question regarding tsn: has there been a senior competitive home game they have not carried on one of their platforms since 2016? if so how many for men and women and how many friendlies?

No. Men have played 7 matches including 2 friendlies (Curaçao and Jamaica). The first women's match they got was in Hamilton vs England. They've showed 9 friendlies. (8 since 2016 though)

5 hours ago, KW519 said:

That's only what is happening with the global rights, which means everything outside Canada. Anything they get from that should be viewed as a bonus. CSB will still be dealing directly with everything that happens inside Canada and may have a different strategy for that.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

The team was bad before... but Alphonso Davies being our soccer wonderkid, it will be hard for them to pass on broadcasting games of Davies with a stronger CanMNT that might actually do well in tournaments.

If we still sucked like before, you'd be a 100% right

It's not just that.  If they're demanding that a network take all 4 of those properties (CPL, Mens and Womens NT games, and the Voyagers Cup which gets poor ratings), I don't think any network is going to want to do that.  That's a fair amount of programming they'd have to add to their schedules.

DC United becomes second MLS team to go with a stream package rather than over the air. Though at least with LAFC, it was part of the Youtube tv package where you get other channels for $40/month.

DC is going standalone with flosports which charges $30/month but DC package will offer a lower rate. Based on comments, reaction is negative given free matches will now cost. Some say it should be free for season ticket holders. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/07/dc-united-cuts-cord-will-show-most-games-via-pay-streaming-service/?utm_term=.9a38eec69e17

6 hours ago, red card said:

DC United becomes second MLS team to go with a stream package rather than over the air. Though at least with LAFC, it was part of the Youtube tv package where you get other channels for $40/month.

DC is going standalone with flosports which charges $30/month but DC package will offer a lower rate. Based on comments, reaction is negative given free matches will now cost. Some say it should be free for season ticket holders. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/07/dc-united-cuts-cord-will-show-most-games-via-pay-streaming-service/?utm_term=.9a38eec69e17

Better for CPL clubs to be on local TV for home matches the first few years to maximize exposure/awareness in their markets, with TV Nationally a game of the week at least, and away matches on streaming service or tv.

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Spain's second division, the best in the world (that one is for you @Unnamed Trialist ) will broadcast all their games on YouTube. https://apnews.com/007d9cd913b4403881955921a4a59a91

This could be a possibility for CPL. I think YouTube is buying content to improve their offerings.

I just saw an ad on LinkedIn this week looking for an English language sports announcer with knowledge of the Liga and  LIga123 (2nd div), the company hiring has the rights, Mediapro.

39 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Spain's second division, the best in the world (that one is for you @Unnamed Trialist ) will broadcast all their games on YouTube. https://apnews.com/007d9cd913b4403881955921a4a59a91

This could be a possibility for CPL. I think YouTube is buying content to improve their offerings.

Whaaaaaaattttttt?

I thought USL was the best 2nd Division in the world.... I'm shocked!

There's no way they would lie or exaggerate, right?

Edited by Ansem

The league continues to work on broadcast rights.

Clanachan said the CPL is looking closely at D.C. United, the MLS team which recently announced a multi-year broadcast deal with FloSports to stream its non-nationally broadcast games.

Those matches will stream on FloFC.com, which is dedicated to soccer content. D.C. United season ticket-holders, partners and supporters' group members will receive discounted subscriptions (US$5.99 a month) while others will be charged $8.99 a month.

"No doubt it's a bold move," Clanachan said of the D.C. United decision. "That whole world is changing and we're paying very close attention to it."

https://www.timescolonist.com/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-offers-a-look-at-new-league-ahead-of-kickoff-1.23599749

think they have a plan or something in the works yet or are just reaching out to everyone? this has been one of the oddly slow developments

Edited by matty

8 hours ago, matty said:

The league continues to work on broadcast rights.

Clanachan said the CPL is looking closely at D.C. United, the MLS team which recently announced a multi-year broadcast deal with FloSports to stream its non-nationally broadcast games.

Those matches will stream on FloFC.com, which is dedicated to soccer content. D.C. United season ticket-holders, partners and supporters' group members will receive discounted subscriptions (US$5.99 a month) while others will be charged $8.99 a month.

"No doubt it's a bold move," Clanachan said of the D.C. United decision. "That whole world is changing and we're paying very close attention to it."

https://www.timescolonist.com/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-offers-a-look-at-new-league-ahead-of-kickoff-1.23599749

think they have a plan or something in the works yet or are just reaching out to everyone? this has been one of the oddly slow developments

At this point I’d be surprised if they didn’t already have some sort of deal or are at least in the advanced stages of negotiations at this point. Back in September when I spoke to a club rep, I was told that while he couldn’t reveal details due to confidentiality, they would ‘be happy with a deal involving some games on TV and others streamed somewhere, possibly the app’ 

10 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

At this point I’d be surprised if they didn’t already have some sort of deal or are at least in the advanced stages of negotiations at this point. Back in September when I spoke to a club rep, I was told that while he couldn’t reveal details due to confidentiality, they would ‘be happy with a deal involving some games on TV and others streamed somewhere, possibly the app’ 

I've heard similar with station I won't say but not idea about streaming services (this was back in 2017 before all the new guys like DAZN and OZ popped up).

I ask because it seems this has been an issue for the league (if the Ottawa rumours are to be believed) and the answers when asked about it have always be vague and every time a new streaming service comes but they mention they're excitement with it. If they release the schedule and there's no broadcasting list it would be very suspect.

Also do you mean there own app? The one that has been downloaded under 500 times?

Edited by matty

From the outside one does get the feeling they're doing more shopping than buying when it comes to media partners.  There's good and bad in that I suppose. 

The bad being that one way or another they aren't getting what they want/need from the usual broadcasting suspects.  The good being that, thank Gawd, we're at a point in time where you don't just have to settle for whatever the usual broadcasters will offer.  There are alternatives out there and those alternatives aren't so geeky-alien as they might once have been.  Net benefit can be had going the alternative route. 

It has to be a hard business selling an unknown like CPL to a notoriously conservative corporate Canada.  Going to generalize a little here but getting in early, gambling on a winner, really isn't in their collective DNA.  Canadian Tire is going to take a wait and see approach.  Sure they could have been a league sponsor out of the gate for half the price if they hadn't waited until year 3, but by year 3 they have a clearer picture of what they're being asked to spend X dollars on to be associated with. 

And knowing that corporate habit can work for the CPL as well so long as there is belief in the product and they aren't ABSOLUTELY CASH STRAPPED.  If you can get what you want then great.  If you can't then don't settle.  If you don't settle you're investing in the future of your own product/brand simply because you're not devaluing your brand by settling.  If you get my meaning. 

Disclaimer;   That little bit of economic marketing genius is brought to you by a high school drop out.  Who lifts heavy object to make a living.  Just saying.    

1 hour ago, matty said:

Also do you mean there own app? The one that has been downloaded under 500 times?

The app will likely have highlights/post match interviews. It wouldn't surprise me if they are considering streaming on there too. That path is fraught with danger however! 

Would bump those app downloads though and certainly makes it more accessible for everyone if they do that with some major promo. Couple that with a game or two every week on CBC wouldnt be that bad though. Still dont know why TSN wouldnt jump on it though given they are losing the premiership.