CPL TV Contract

4 hours ago, RS said:

I don't think Larson hyping it means the hype is REAL. He works for the league.

As for Haber, he's one of several players in Toronto for the announcement. The coaches will be there as well.

Thank you for this novel insight. Of course Larson works for the league, I think his twitter handle gave that away.

Nevertheless, the hype is real as evidenced by teams sending multiple representatives across the country.  That is certainly "hype"... be excited (or disappointed after ;) ).  

18 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

CTV has about a 20 percent larger reach than TSN.  And with people cutting the cord (cord cutters) or young people who have never had cable on their own (cord nevers) that number is increasing.

OTA (Over the air) reception is increasing but I'm curious, how many people here use an antenna to get OTA signals?  I know if I was in the GTA I'd be doing it and not paying for cable.  I haven't had cable most of my life anyway :)

Useless in Victoria. I have an antenna and the only networks I can get are CTV Vancouver Island and the Rogers stations in Vancouver (the latter have a rebroadcast transmitter based in Victoria).

7 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Useless in Victoria. I have an antenna and the only networks I can get are CTV Vancouver Island and the Rogers stations in Vancouver (the latter have a rebroadcast transmitter based in Victoria).

We are going to arrange to watch away games at a pub, probably the Yates St Taphouse.

"From anticipated, soon-to-be-revealed kit and merchandise deals to innovative media partners set to alter the way Canadians consume domestic soccer,the Canadian Premier League is making waves in the business community in the buildup to its April launch."

https://canpl.ca/article/more-than-a-game-cpl-volkswagen-fuelling-soccer-passion-with-historic-partnership

...From anticipated, soon-to-be-revealed kit and merchandise deals to innovative media partners set to alter the way Canadians consume domestic soccer, the Canadian Premier League is making waves in the business community in the buildup to its April launch...

That definitely makes it sound like web streaming rather than traditional cable and DAZN are the prime suspects if they go down that route.

19 minutes ago, KW519 said:

"From anticipated, soon-to-be-revealed kit and merchandise deals to innovative media partners set to alter the way Canadians consume domestic soccer,the Canadian Premier League is making waves in the business community in the buildup to its April launch."

That sounds like the end of speculation of a TV deal. 

19 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Haven't used DAZN...is a decent app/reliable stream?

It did have some issues off the bat with NFL and got a lot of bad press for it. However, I use it regularly and love it.

I guess it comes down to expectations and what you are used to. If you were used to having NFL Sunday Ticket on your TV and you could seamlessly flip from one game to another, moving to DAZN felt like a step back. If you were used to struggling, like me, to find Serie A games on TV, and when you do they are often in low quality SD, then DAZN is a godsend. 

Since the announcement definitely makes it seem like they are heading in the direction of streaming, I hope they can at least get some content on the mainstream sports channels highlights shows for exposure.  This year, the Champions League has been so completely off my radar it is crazy - and all because it isn't on TV in really any capacity.  It is the very best club footy in the world, and I don't hunt down streams, I don't go to bars to watch games, hell I don't even know when it is happening most of the time.  And this is a competition I have followed religiously for years now.  That kind of absentee media presence will have an impact - so getting some content out there for casual sports fans to bump into will be important. 

it's kind of odd they're using a 1pm time slot. it's  commom nfl timeslot is it not?

i also think dazn is out personally. not enough reach compared to the tsn or sportsnet aps in canada to make vw getting on broad make sense. could still be it but unless bein is also showing games can't see it

Edited by matty

4 minutes ago, matty said:

it's kind of odd they're using a 1pm time slot. it's  commom nfl timeslot is it not?

For the inaugural game? I think it makes sense in a local context, Ticats kick off at 1pm all the time so people in Hamilton are used to going down to the stadium then.

Ooh, I just realized,  I'll be able to sell parking for way more games now :D (just bought a house 2 blocks from THF)

Edited by Tigers

4 minutes ago, Tigers said:

For the inaugural game? I think it makes sense in a local context, Ticats kick off at 1pm all the time so people in Hamilton are used to going down to the stadium then.

Ooh, I just realized,  I'll be able to sell parking for way more games now :D (just bought a house 2 blocks from THF)

good luck with the parking

5 minutes ago, matty said:

i also think dazn is out personally. not enough reach compared to the tsn or sportsnet aps in canada to make vw getting on broad make sense. could still be it but unless bein is also showing games can't see it

I wouldn't rule out dazn.  They are clearly making a play for the footy market in this country.  With Champs League  and EPL - what I assume are the two biggest annual footy properties in Canadian broadcasting - both moving to dazn, they may be going all in so that any Canadian footy fan who wants to watch high quality  programming will have to subscribe.  Davies will draw some of us into Bundesliga, but for most people EPL is the staple - and CL the icing on the cake.  I could see them securing CPL just to make sure TSN/SN don't have a viable product to offer as an alternative.  Not saying they are on par or anything, but for someone who wants a footy fix, a combo of MLS and CPL just might be enough to convince people they don't need to add another monthly subscription. But if the equation is MLS vs EPL/CL/CPL/whatever else dazn secures,  the resistance is harder to justify.  

Not saying it is the right choice.  I think there would be a danger for CPL banking on drawing eyeballs in a context where so much more footy is on offer to an exclusive subscriber base.   It is quite possible that the appetite to watch CPL might be lower for people who have access to an all you can eat buffet of other global footy leagues/competitions.  But I can see how acquiring the property makes business sense from dazn's perspective.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wouldn't rule out dazn.  They are clearly making a play for the footy market in this country.  With Champs League  and EPL - what I assume are the two biggest annual footy properties in Canadian broadcasting - both moving to dazn, they may be going all in so that any Canadian footy fan who wants to watch high quality  programming will have to subscribe.  Davies will draw some of us into Bundesliga, but for most people EPL is the staple - and CL the icing on the cake.  I could see them securing CPL just to make sure TSN/SN don't have a viable product to offer as an alternative.  Not saying they are on par or anything, but for someone who wants a footy fix, a combo of MLS and CPL just might be enough to convince people they don't need to add another monthly subscription. But if the equation is MLS vs EPL/CL/CPL/whatever else dazn secures,  the resistance is harder to justify.  

Not saying it is the right choice.  I think there would be a danger for CPL banking on drawing eyeballs in a context where so much more footy is on offer to an exclusive subscriber base.   It is quite possible that the appetite to watch CPL might be lower for people who have access to an all you can eat buffet of other global footy leagues/competitions.  But I can see how acquiring the property makes business sense from dazn's perspective.

You’re right about one thing for sure, I haven’t signed up for DAZN and I’m not planning on doing... unless they bag the CPL. That would force me to reluctantly give in and get DAZN. I really hope it’s not going to be DAZN as I feel it would be a huge mistake and would essentially make it impossible to attract anyone beyond the hardcore already decided fans like us. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

dazn's game seems super weird. they buy big rights but are not that big. pretty sure they're kind of gonna roll along with minimal footing until they can buy nhl, mlb or nba rights.

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

You’re right about one thing for sure, I haven’t signed up for DAZN and I’m not planning on doing... unless they bag the CPL. That would force me to reluctantly give in and get DAZN. I really hope it’s not going to be DAZN as I feel it would be a huge mistake and would essentially make it impossible to attract anyone beyond the hardcore already decided fans like us. 

I absolutely share that worry, but if they have EPL, CL, and CPL, I concede defeat.  They will get my money.

On the other hand, if TSN shows MLS, Sportsnet shows some Bundesliga, and someone else got CPL, there's a pretty good chance that I would resist the lure of dazn.

I might be out to lunch here, but I seem to recall the NASL using a two-pronged approach with ESPN. Didn't they have all/vast majority of their games available through the ESPN app/streaming platform (whatever it's called), with one or two games a week also shown on TV via ESPN? If the CPL is able to go that route through Sportsnet-TVA Sports/TSN-RDS/CBC-Radio Canada Sports, I think that'd do the trick.

Edited by m-g-williams

1 hour ago, Tigers said:

How many parking spots do you have lol?  Do you have 2?  I have 6 season seats with friends so need 2 spots.  Can I rent your spot for the season?  

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Haven't used DAZN...is a decent app/reliable stream?

The NFL fans are the group that still gives DAZN blowback - check DAZN's twitter account. So, if you're used to 4k or HD quality and easy switching between games, DAZN is a downgrade.

I didn't give DAZN much thought when it came to Canada. But given it is now headed by the former boss of ESPN (who only left because of the cloud of some addiction) and is backed by a Ukrainian-born media tycoon who oversees a $20 billion empire that includes Warner Music, it is a force to reckon with.

It charges the most in Canada but it actually offers the most programming in Canada. This tells me our sports media companies are still being run by traditional guys who aren't willing to pay up for programming beyond the big 3 of hockey, baseball & football and also curling. That's likely because they can easily get cheap content from the US sports networks.

16 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I might be out to lunch here, but I seem to recall the NASL using a two-pronged approach with ESPN. Didn't they have all/vast majority of their games available through the ESPN app/streaming platform (whatever it's called), with one or two games a week also shown on TV via ESPN? If the CPL is able to go that route through Sportsnet-TVA Sports/TSN-RDS/CBC-Radio Canada Sports, I think that'd do the trick.

Don't think NASL ever had a game on ESPN television. I know they had the CBS sports and the Cosmos had games on a weird channel.