CPL TV Contract

28 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Canadians like soccer on TV. Canadians will watch an "inferior product" (CFL). MLS matches between Canadian clubs do much better than MLS matches with only one Canadian side. Those are the only indicators I got. :)

Canadians like to watch *events*.  If two Canadian MLS teams are playing, that's rarer and more people will tune in.

MLS is already the inferior product compared to what you get out of EPL/Champions league, and gets lower ratings then that.  Which means if you're taking a further step down the inferior product path, you're really, really counting on the nationalistic angle to drive the ratings.  I'm not sold that will work.  I didn't see the NLL getting big ratings, for instance.

Edited by Watchmen

36 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Canadians like soccer on TV. Canadians will watch an "inferior product" (CFL). MLS matches between Canadian clubs do much better than MLS matches with only one Canadian side. Those are the only indicators I got. :)

I guess to better phrase this on my part: yes, they'll watch an "inferior product" (CFL).  But they won't watch it more than the "superior product" (NFL).  Therefore, your argument doesn't really make sense.

5 hours ago, matty said:

also 15k isn't terrible depending on the channel and time of day. like if it's snworld or tsn2 from 2:30 to 5 that's decent. if it's bein that's the fucking shit

Literally my original argument.  I'm glad we're finally in agreement. ?

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

CFL is on cable. NFL is on broadcast television and it has way more audience to draw from. Although the TSN has done a great job of promoting the CFL and giving it a real polished big time feel, if it was on mainstream media it would be killing the NFL. TSN also pushed CFL to Friday night games of the week and now Thursday nights and they no longer do many Sunday games because they are trying not to take from both audiences. Even with all of that the Grey Cup only fell behind the Super Bowl in viewership in the last few years, The grey cup was dominant up until that time.

Also, CFL viewership is a little cyclical, it seems to be on a downward trend right now, but it will gain once again.

I feel like CPL needs network mainstream exposure like the CBC to begin with and then when it gets some traction to a TSN/sportsnet type of channel with dedicated coverage that will take the coverage to another level and bring in much needed revenue.

34 minutes ago, masster said:

In this day and age, how much difference remains between cable and broadcast TV?

decent amount. if you look stateside games shown on network television generally do better than those on cable. look at mls' ratings, they do like 250-300k on fox sports and espn last year but the 6 games shown on fox did almost 1m viewers.

local deals are also often done on local network affiliates but this seems less of a thing in canada as there are the regional feeds for the 2 main sports channels and they also have streaming apps.

Edited by matty

On 1/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, C2SKI said:

If that's how you view things than why even bother with Giovinco free kicks when Messi's are available? 

Think it should have been obvious why I was directly comparing forwards from two Toronto teams in the context of whether MLS or CanPL are likely to get higher ratings, but seeing as you have raised Messi, why do you think a lot of people only watch soccer for one month every four years when players like Messi are playing against each other in the World Cup finals?

The casual fanbase that never go anywhere near a live domestic pro soccer game in paying spectator terms, who are needed to push ratings up to the levels that would generate large rights fees, tend to go for the highest quality entertainment product.

MLS isn't there yet in terms of getting those people to tune in for anything other than playoff games, and it has budgets that are an order of magnitude higher than those of CanPL, so never say never until the numbers are in but it would be exceedingly surprising if CanPL does well enough in ratings terms to be a hotly sought after property.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Canadians like to watch *events*.  If two Canadian MLS teams are playing, that's rarer and more people will tune in.

MLS is already the inferior product compared to what you get out of EPL/Champions league, and gets lower ratings then that.  Which means if you're taking a further step down the inferior product path, you're really, really counting on the nationalistic angle to drive the ratings.  I'm not sold that will work.  I didn't see the NLL getting big ratings, for instance.

I do think it’s worth considering that many people (myself included) are very hesitant to commit to DAZN, and that there is going to be a massive shortage of soccer on cable TV soon. European Champions League has already disappeared from my world, the EPL is about to. I think that this may be creating a programming vacuum that suits the CPL. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

I do think it’s worth considering that many people (myself included) are very hesitant to commit to DAZN, and that there is going to be a massive shortage of soccer on cable TV soon. European Champions League has already disappeared from my world, the EPL is about to. I think that this may be creating a programming vacuum that suits the CPL. 

Sure. But the difference in quality and athmosphere will be staggering. 

10 hours ago, masster said:

In this day and age, how much difference remains between cable and broadcast TV?

CTV has about a 20 percent larger reach than TSN.  And with people cutting the cord (cord cutters) or young people who have never had cable on their own (cord nevers) that number is increasing.

OTA (Over the air) reception is increasing but I'm curious, how many people here use an antenna to get OTA signals?  I know if I was in the GTA I'd be doing it and not paying for cable.  I haven't had cable most of my life anyway :)

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think it should have been obvious why I was directly comparing forwards from two Toronto teams in the context of whether MLS or CanPL are likely to get higher ratings, but seeing as you have raised Messi, why do you think a lot of people only watch soccer for one month every four years when players like Messi are playing against each other in the World Cup finals?

You mock the idea that people would prefer to watch local players in a domestic competition in the same sentence you include a caveat that the teams must be local. If people sitting on their couch care about where the game is being played, then surely some must also care about who is playing the game, and what they are competing for.

It's well acknowledged that international football is not the same quality as the best club competitions, yet fans still tune in to watch the World Cup at a higher level than anything else. So surely there must be another reason that fans choose to watch football apart from quality of play. Perhaps the drama that the competition provides, or the pride that players and fans exhibit, or the spectacle of it all.... If the CPL can provide these things than people will watch and the quality won't matter. That's why leagues exist in every country in the world

Edited by C2SKI

2 hours ago, C2SKI said:

You mock the idea that people would prefer to watch local players in a domestic competition in the same sentence you include a caveat that the teams must be local. If people sitting on their couch care about where the game is being played, then surely some must also care about who is playing the game, and what they are competing for.

At the risk of getting yelled at, I think the people at home care WAY more about where the team is than the players.

Edited by matty

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I guess to better phrase this on my part: yes, they'll watch an "inferior product" (CFL).  But they won't watch it more than the "superior product" (NFL).  Therefore, your argument doesn't really make sense.

I just don't think this is accurate. CFL routinely beats NFL ratings. They will take the ratings for the whole day of NFL games and compare one game on cable to the CFL in the middle of summer and still the overall numbers are better for the CFL. CTV has been pushing the NFL games almost as hard as TSN has been pushing their CFL coverage. That seems to have been Bell Media's plans when they doubled down on on CFL and started paying big money to the league. Maybe that's trending the other way right now, but even if it is, that probably has to do more with the mess that Commissioner Orridge left behind. He was useless and the league has been picking up the pieces after he left.

Also, as far as inferior/superior, that's not entirely accurate either. They are two different games because of the rule differences. Look at how everyone started bringing up the differences after the lame over time games in the playoffs last week. It's more like the difference between rugby league and rugby union to me. Obviously however, the bigger deal is the NFL, but regionally in Canada it's not.

As far as team merchandise sales go....Toronto Maple Leafs are number one, followed by the Montreal Canadiens, and in third is the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

2 hours ago, Tigers said:

While we're still talking CFL...

Theres also the "small league" effect. Meaning,  there are only 4 CFL games, or 3 CPL games, on a given weekend, so many fans of the league watch all of them. Or two, or three, etc.  

Yeah I wouldn’t expect CPL games to overlap at all.. with a max of 3 games a weekend.  I’ll certainly be tuning in to every match I can as many of us will.. this is going to boost TV numbers.

Speaking of the announcement.. wow the hype is REAL.  Larson hyping it and Haber is in Toronto for the announcement as well... 

15 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Speaking of the announcement.. wow the hype is REAL.  Larson hyping it and Haber is in Toronto for the announcement as well... 

I don't think Larson hyping it means the hype is REAL. He works for the league.

As for Haber, he's one of several players in Toronto for the announcement. The coaches will be there as well.