Stephen Eustaquio

11 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

man, I still 100% believe Eustaquio has been Herdman's greatest coup for the CMNT. What a career this guy has had so far, and I think Porto will just be a stepping zone, because if he shines in Qatar he is 100% moving to a top 5 league. IMO Eustaquio is the embodiment of what Herdman has transformed the CMNT into.

I think so too, he doesn't have the flash of Davies or David but man, having a centre midfielder with his qualities is such an important foundation to build from and he keeps getting smarter and smarter.

31 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Eustaquio just keeps proving himself. I'm very happy to have him with Canada. Porto is not a bad destination though. They're a bigger club than many in the top 5. 

I agree, Porto is a superb destination for any player, which says a lot about a player if a club of such magnitude is still a stepping stone to more. Eustaquio starting to carve out a starting role with an European giant is no small feat whatsoever.

41 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Eustaquio just keeps proving himself. I'm very happy to have him with Canada. Porto is not a bad destination though. They're a bigger club than many in the top 5. 

Is there a bigger, better club outside the top 5 than Porto? Benfica maybe? But that's 6-in-one, half-dozen in the other, isn't it? Portugal is arguably the best league outside the top 5, and Porto (at least at the moment) is the best club.  

From the international break to the World Cup break Porto play 10 games in 5 weeks. 4 champions league and 6 league games. That is a crazy amount and even if not in their starting 11, with squad rotation he will get alot of minutes. 

But, he can't get injured. We have no midfield depth and he is arguably our most important player.

Edited by Stryker911

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Didn't seem to have a good rating based on my goal app, but he wasn't the worst Porto player on the day, apparently.

Can anyone breakdown how he played?

They were getting overwhelmed a bit in midfield, Brugge pressed very well but it was not super lopsided in the first half.  It obviously fell apart in the second. Every one behind him struggled and just let Brugge waltz through.  He had a lot of touches, second only to defender Pepe, who they run everything through but his passing could have been more accurate.

10 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I wonder how this impacts Stacks. He's just breaking into the 11 and then this disastrous result happens. Hope Sergio doesn't shake the 11 up again and leave Eustaquio out. 

That would be my worry. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Didn't seem to have a good rating based on my goal app, but he wasn't the worst Porto player on the day, apparently.

Can anyone breakdown how he played?

Passing was off, and Brugge limited his ability to get forward. To me, it's very apparent he'll have trouble imitating an 8 at this level. He can absolutely be a dynamic 6, but that's clearly Uribe's job.

I don't even think he was bad - but he was part of a system that clearly wasn't working, and he didn't have the assets to break out of it.

6 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Passing was off, and Brugge limited his ability to get forward. To me, it's very apparent he'll have trouble imitating an 8 at this level. He can absolutely be a dynamic 6, but that's clearly Uribe's job.

I don't even think he was bad - but he was part of a system that clearly wasn't working, and he didn't have the assets to break out of it.

That's concerning to read, but thanks for the update (and to @WestHamCanadianinOxford as well).

Saw most of game...he was not great but for Porto fans, this was horrible cause individually every one was poor and collectively they were abysmal.

Concerning part as a huge fan of Staq that we all are, most Porto fans commenting were negative on the midfield as a whole. That this lineup is not Champions League worthy, and of course Eustaquio was included in that bunch.

But some perspective...1) this was a bad loss so they are still emotional and pissed. 2) he was terrific in first Champions League game against Atletico. 

But coach and fans will be looking for a reaction from Staq (and everyone else too) in next league and Champions League games.

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Didn't he play as an 8 vs Atletico  away?  I mean one would assume that Atletico is a better team than Brugge.