Stephen Eustaquio

Holy F#!#!

Eustaquio played the last 20 minutes of the opener. They won 5-1. At the final whistle the Porto coach is just livid. While the teams are shaking hands, he goes to Eustaquio and just chews him out...after a 5-1 win.

How much patience will he have with him I wonder? And I have no idea what happened by the way. Missed the last 5 minutes 

18 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

Holy F#!#!

Eustaquio played the last 20 minutes of the opener. They won 5-1. At the final whistle the Porto coach is just livid. While the teams are shaking hands, he goes to Eustaquio and just chews him out...after a 5-1 win.

How much patience will he have with him I wonder? And I have no idea what happened by the way. Missed the last 5 minutes 

All the twitter comments im reading are positive on eustaquio after the game. They want him starting over grujic. 

I'd like to see it. 

A few weeks back, in the context of Barça unloading De Jong, I thought about Eustaquio. Because he has similar flaws as a player. Great players, and De Jong a very highly rated player, but they have great difficulty to stay in position and play the role they are tasked with. De Jong tends to over reach, goes back for the ball when he's not needed, offers himself when the ball will find him. He leaves holes that end up hurting the team because he wants to dominate on the pitch, and maybe, when he was in Netherlands, this was fine. And so a great player ends up ineffective, to the point of playing his talent into irrelevance. This is why Barça is considering taking a huge sum for him, because he does not seem willing to play the way Xavi wants, a piece in a system.

Eustaquio does this, similarly, because he's impatient. And he also has the conditioning and pace to be a player like that, to go everywhere and try to do everything, only that really good teams don't need that sort of guy, they have talent in all positions. Oddly, Eustaquio seems more relaxed with his role for Canada, maybe because we are not a midfield dominating team so his role is reduced. 

De Jong, comparing, is a player who does not have much heart and little guts. He's the kind of guy, if you made a lewd comment to his girlfriend on the street, he wouldn't defend her. Or you get that feeling. He's very comfortable and is lacking character. I don't think Stephen is like that, he has much more heart and soul and has a very intense mentality, which is a great virtue. But on a big club like Porto you have to harness it and pull it in, then use it when needed. 

It's a good analysis. It depends what the coach is asking of him. The couple of negative comments I saw coming from fans on Twitter (so take it for what it's worth) is that his passes are most of time latteral or back. I hope that's not what the coach was pissed about. I mean he came in and it was 3-0, and it became quickly 5-0. At 5-0 yeah...I would be passing back and latteral too instead of forcing it. 

Let's see how his playing time is affected next few games, especially when Andre Franco joins team. It seems people rate Franco higher than him.

1 hour ago, Joe1973 said:

It's a good analysis. It depends what the coach is asking of him. The couple of negative comments I saw coming from fans on Twitter (so take it for what it's worth) is that his passes are most of time latteral or back. I hope that's not what the coach was pissed about. I mean he came in and it was 3-0, and it became quickly 5-0. At 5-0 yeah...I would be passing back and latteral too instead of forcing it. 

Let's see how his playing time is affected next few games, especially when Andre Franco joins team. It seems people rate Franco higher than him.

I thought it was because of his poor touch on the opponents’ goal … at least, I think that was him who put a foot out, and it bounced off a teammate before falling to an opposing player right in front of goal … still crazy of the coach if you ask me, and hopefully SE is not caught in a bad situation with a coach who always finds a reason to chew him out 

Edited by Addona

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So was that Eustaquio with the hockey assist?

Indeed. He looked sharp besides a wild shot on net. Executed a beautiful tackle, won a tough aerial battle and blasted a long, powerful (and accurate) shot which could have made its way in had it not been blocked. Just to name a few positives I can recall.

The fact he is consistently averaging a good 30 mins of playing time is progress promising. If I recall he was barely getting 10 last year and he was still a machine for us. He'll get his starts, he just needs to stay hungry and remain patient. Breaking into a European giant was always going to be tough, but so far he is doing just fine IMO.

Edited by LeoH037

Off topic but concerning soccer in Portugal.  I was just catching the end of Maritimo vs Braga on FreeSports and there was something about the Estádio Municipal de Braga that I couldn't put my finger on.  And then it hit me, it looked like an old time CFL stadium (no end zone seating) nobody at either end.

I find that very strange for a European stadium and also interesting that it isn't all that old of a stadium.  The stadium was designed by Portuguese architect Eduardo Souto de Moura who was awarded the Pritzker Architecture Prize in part for this design.

Also known as A Pedreira (The Quarry), for being carved into the side of a mountain, the stadium was built in 2003 as a venue for the UEFA Euro 2004 (Capacity 30,286).

In 2006 the stadium won the Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award for the best new global design. A Financial Times article on Britain's stadia referred to the municipal stadium as one of the four examples of "beautiful grounds", noting that: "There has been nothing in this country to match the architectural delight of Eduardo Souto de Moura’s stadium for Braga in Portugal, a breathtaking arena carved into the side of a rock face on the site of a former quarry.

8nJpzwt.jpg

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, different, now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Off topic but concerning soccer in Portugal.  I was just catching the end of Maritimo vs Braga on FreeSports and there was something about the Estádio Municipal de Braga that I couldn't put my finger on.  And then it hit me, it looked like an old time CFL stadium (no end zone seating) nobody at either end.

I find that very strange for a European stadium and also interesting that it isn't all that old of a stadium.  The stadium was designed by Portuguese architect Eduardo Souto de Moura who was awarded the Pritzker Architecture Prize in part for this design.

Also known as A Pedreira (The Quarry), for being carved into the side of a mountain, the stadium was built in 2003 as a venue for the UEFA Euro 2004 (Capacity 30,286).

In 2006 the stadium won the Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award for the best new global design. A Financial Times article on Britain's stadia referred to the municipal stadium as one of the four examples of "beautiful grounds", noting that: "There has been nothing in this country to match the architectural delight of Eduardo Souto de Moura’s stadium for Braga in Portugal, a breathtaking arena carved into the side of a rock face on the site of a former quarry.

8nJpzwt.jpg

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, different, now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Those of us who watched that Euro remember the stadium well. Agreed, an impressive decision to insert it there. 

As you know, the Pritzker is for a career of work, in case folks don't know, it is essentially the Nobel for architects. 

Portuguese contemporary architecture is amongst the absolute best in the world.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Those of us who watched that Euro remember the stadium well. Agreed, an impressive decision to insert it there. 

As you know, the Pritzker is for a career of work, in case folks don't know, it is essentially the Nobel for architects. 

Portuguese contemporary architecture is amongst the absolute best in the world.

I didn't know that, thank you for adding that!

I love it when I learn stuff unrelated to the reason i visit this site.  

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Ok, just stumbled on to this when coming across Shaffelburg's goal. I promise this is my last Portugal related off topic post.  You gotta dig the "music" as well :)

I  believe Socrates started this back in the 80's.  it was stunning even back then.  Perhaps not as long of a pause, but I clearly remember a no step penalty with a pause.  I even practiced taking it.

20 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

8nJpzwt.jpg

I was lucky enough to spend a month in Portugal for Euro 2004.  I was at that beautiful stadium for the Denmark - Bulgaria group stage game. (Denmark won 2-0, over Berbatov & co.)  It's so different than any other stadium I've ever been in and it was really impressive to see in person. Between the game itself, and then hanging out with a bunch of very happy (and well-imbibed) Danes made for a great day! 

On 8/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, LeoH037 said:

The fact he is consistently averaging a good 30 mins of playing time is progress promising. If I recall he was barely getting 10 last year and he was still a machine for us. He'll get his starts, he just needs to stay hungry and remain patient. Breaking into a European giant was always going to be tough, but so far he is doing just fine IMO.

Reading today that Bruno Costa (who started ahead of Steph on Saturday) may be moving on from Porto... 🤞it materializes.