Stephen Eustaquio

17 minutes ago, BradMack said:

4 milion seems like an absolute steal. A good season for Porto or a good World Cup and he could be sold on to the prem for triple. 

Still can't / don't believe that was the actual price - Pacos would be losing money. Must've been some extra loan fee.

10 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Still can't / don't believe that was the actual price - Pacos would be losing money. Must've been some extra loan fee.

Maybe they get a percent of any future transfer fee. Problem for a club like Pacos is that playing for them the ceiling for his value while he's playing for them is much lower, so they're likely better off selling him on to a bigger club where he can get higher level exposure and hoping for a percent of a future sale.

So back to the interview. Listening to these guys, the mentality, the optimism, the competitive edge, gives us such a boost. He is also a really nice fellow and pleasant as hell.

I love when he says that he decided that if he goes to the camp, he'll play for the team. That we are dealing with countries and he did not believe in going to a national camp to try things out and see if he liked it

Not saying for a younger guy like Koleosho he can't have that option, but just for him its impressive. 

The Tecatito story, the Mexicans starting to fear us. I think, really, that Mexico has a lot of fear of not being the best in Concacaf and that is a pressure from fans and press. Part of the fear is their own making. But you have to use it against them, no question.

You can also see that midfield mentality, of being a general and having the entire team in your head. I personally think he has just begun and we have not even seen a full Eustaquio cycle yet, what I mean: how about that direct free kick at the Gold Cup? He has not even gotten a chance to take another like that, not one I don't think. So we have not even seen him play his direct free kick skill out yet.

He is definitely captain material going forward, and coaching material after he retires.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Vitinha being sold to PSG is good for Eustaquio.

Looks like Fabio Viera's also gone - occasionally played cm. 

Still, it's hard to see Steph getting paired with Uribe/Grujic. Too similar. I imagine they'll be in the market for another 8.

Edited by PiedPilko

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I mentioned Aguilar because he played even further back in the midfield. And won a Cup. 

But mostly because Steph did not seem aware of the precedents. 

That’s a better one. Though he mentioned having success as well as winning a cup. Bunbury was Maritimo’s all time leading scorer… left Portugal when Eustaquio was 4 years old. It was so rare then for a Canadian to lead anything in Europe… how things have changed! 

Nice interview! Great that KG is doing these.

Edited by ECW

One day I'll do a Eustaqiuo - Frenkie de Jong comparison, inspired by Barça being willing to offload such a talent, and based on why he does not work as well as he could have. 

It's all about doing less to do more. But I'll do it in a few weeks or months. 

I'm hoping Steph gets minutes and coached well at Porto, and matures overall. I'm pretty sure he will. 

• 3 weeks later...