Stephen Eustaquio

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I don't recall them making it official but I guess this now means it is

Don't quote me on it, but I am pretty sure it was made official several weeks ago. That's why when I saw that I wondered if that was new information, and possibly an extension. 

While it wouldn’t be ideal for him to be mainly a bench player in the buildup to Qatar, there is a lot to love about this move in the mid to long term.  He is playing and training in an elite environment (in a Portuguese context) and now has time to show his value and secure a starting spot over time.  He is still just 25 so is entering his peak years during the lifespan of this contract.  No reason why he can’t end up being a big player for a Porto 

16 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Seems Porto cleared a lot of players ahead of him, so I really hope he breaks into regular playing time this year.

Yes, I know a few midfielders were moved out, so would love to have a Porto expert weigh in on his chances of breaking through to the starting lineup and a run down on his competition for playing time.

12 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I guess he's not moving again anytime soon

I mentioned this earlier in the year. Big 3 (Portugal) agent move = big release clause. Will see plenty of playing time 1st half of the season and sold in January after he impresses in November/December (my wild prediction has the Wolves coming in and swapping him for J. Moutinho). I do hope he sticks around long term (2-3 years). Porto is the perfect club to build and maintain confidence all while reaching full potential (can win a lot of domestic trophies/always playing in the European competitions). 

Edited by JasonDias

20 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

I mentioned this earlier in the year. Big 3 (Portugal) agent move = big release clause. Will see plenty of playing time 1st half of the season and sold in January after he impresses in November/December (my wild prediction has the Wolves coming in and swapping him for J. Moutinho). I do hope he sticks around long term (2-3 years). Porto is the perfect club to build and maintain confidence all while reaching full potential (can win a lot of domestic trophies/always playing in the European competitions). 

Nice to see I am not the only one who predicts a future Wolves move!

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People talking about Porto as a good feeder club when they're in Pot 1 in the Champions draw. 

It's a very intense first 3 months of the season, I hope he stays healthy. 

They are only in Pot 1 because UEFA changed how the seeding works. Its not based on club coefficient anymore. The top 7 leagues have their champion go to pot 1.

Its the same reason Lille was in Pot 1 last year.

Future Manchester City Legend Stephen Eustaquio

Of all our guys who are good enough to get transferred to better leagues, steph is the guy I wouldn’t mind staying out. Reason for that is that the Portuguese guys I know like Porto so when everyone is talking soccer I can contribute by telling them how great Eustaquio is

Edited by InglewoodJack

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Future Manchester City Legend Stephen Eustaquio

Of all our guys who are good enough to get transferred to better leagues, steph is the guy I wouldn’t mind staying out. Reason for that is that the Portuguese guys I know like Porto so I can at least when everyone is talking soccer I can contribute by telling them how great Eustaquio is

Every Portuguese Canadian I know is a Benfica fan

1 minute ago, narduch said:

They are only in Pot 1 because UEFA changed how the seeding works. Its not based on club coefficient anymore. The top 7 leagues have their champion go to pot 1.

Its the same reason Lille was in Pot 1 last year.

Didn't realize that. So true, but they're still a powerhouse. Probably the best team out of the big five leagues in Europe. 

Its good the league is smaller, to reduce fixtures. I suspect they'll push their cup into post WC. Just concerned about a fixture-charged pre WC, for him more than others because of the way he tackles and all that lateral movement. 

Just now, narduch said:

To be fair, I’m basing this off of like 3 people, lol. I used to live in little Portugal and from memory I think the bars there mostly had Sporting or Benfica stuff on the wall, so I dunno. One of my best friends lives in Benfica in Lisbon, so perfectly fine switching my Portuguese club allegiances when eustaquio finally gets sold to Arsenal

Let’s all first see if Steph can establish himself as a starter at Porto, and continue good form into the World Cup.  I do think that this level (which is pretty damn high as others have pointed out) will be his ceiling.  Porto recently transferred out Fábio Vieira to Arsenal… in watching Porto games nearing the end of the season, it was quite obvious, this guy was on another level than Steph, plus he’s 3 years younger - these are the kind of talents which are off-loaded by Porto to the “SuperLeague” clubs.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

LOL, out of all Portuguese Canadians I have had the pleasure of meeting, I have met one Porto fan.  One.

Needless to say, I am caught up on all the Benfica conspiracy theories for Porto to win the title every year. 😄

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Let’s all first see if Steph can establish himself as a starter at Porto, and continue good form into the World Cup.  I do think that this level (which is pretty damn high as others have pointed out) will be his ceiling.  Porto recently transferred out Fábio Vieira to Arsenal… in watching Porto games nearing the end of the season, it was quite obvious, this guy was on another level than Steph, plus he’s 3 years younger - these are the kind of talents which are off-loaded by Porto to the “SuperLeague” clubs.

There's nothing wrong with maxing out at Porto. 538 has them as the 12th best club in the world right now. Those rankings can be taken with a grain of salt, but I feel like teams like Porto, Ajax, Feyenoord, Benfica, Salzburg, etc. are more or less equivalent to top 5 league teams, and in many cases, are better.

Quick deviation from the Eustaquio convo haha

The majority of luso-canadians in Toronto have origins from the Azores (about 70%). The remaining 30% are largely a mix of continentals primarily coming from the Lisbon-Leira districts, with the Northern/Southern districts and Madeira being the lowest mix. Almost every Azorean is a Benfica fan. Their man club (C.D. Santa Clara) is a subsidiary of Benfica. Lisbon-Leira gets you the Benfica/Sporting mix. The rest of the batch tend to be a mix of the top three clubs. That being said all three big clubs have their respective houses here in Toronto. 

Toronto's Benfica house is the first foreign Casa do Benfica outside of Portugal (1969) and is located in the Keele St/Rogers Rd area. Sporting's house has grown to include support for the club but also operates as a larger Portuguese community centre and is located at Dupont/Dundas St W. Porto's house is the youngest (1987) and is also located by Keele St/Rogers Rd. 

Back to Eustaquio, he should be getting plenty of looks come preseason. They are announcing preseason fixtures this weekend.