Stephen Eustaquio

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I hope a move to the big teams works out as we don’t want him in mls with the white caps 

Nah, MDS said he tried but Eustaquio was firm about staying in Europe. I don't even know if the Whitecaps have $5 mil more lying around (especially if they want a DP #10). Plus, Porto really want him.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:43 AM, PiedPilko said:

Herdman really, really like Piette, but he'll start Stephen now... right?

I'm not 100% sure I agree.

23 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Pacos play probably their worst game of the season... but I thought his passing was sorta wayward today. 

---

The beginning of the match vs Bermuda might be an awkward affair with two teams playing each other who have had very little chance to train. Piette might be the better option until the 55th minute. Or maybe Piette beside Eustaquio like at the end of the USA vs Canada match in November 2019 (he replaced MAK in the 62nd minute).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

---

The beginning of the match vs Bermuda might be an awkward affair with two teams playing each other who have had very little chance to train. Piette might be the better option until the 55th minute. Or maybe Piette beside Eustaquio like at the end of the USA vs Canada match in November 2019 (he replaced MAK in the 62nd minute).

How is Piette who hasn't played since last fall a better option than Eustaquio in mid season form and one of the best midfielder in Portugal?

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

---

Yeah, do you just value Piette's defense? I know Eustaquio doesn't look it, and he still has work to do with his tackling, but he is very good at pouncing on loose possessions, making interceptions and drawing fouls in the middle. He doesn't have that ball winning ability, but he makes up for it by just being smarter. Plus, we need that deep range threat. He's just better than Piette, and it isn't close. 

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

How is Piette who hasn't played since last fall a better option than Eustaquio in mid season form and one of the best midfielder in Portugal?

I'm not saying Piette is the better option, I'm just saying it's not absolutely crazy to give Piette the start.

He will be better rested and have more time to train the the team down in Florida whereas Eustaquio will have to quickly fly in, quarantine for 24hrs and may get very little time to actually train with the team before the match.

Alternatively, (if we continue to assume Eustaquio has the same spot as Piette and not MAK) we may see Eustaquio vs Bermuda and Piette vs the Caymans.

Or Eustaquio starts match #1 vs Bermuda and Kaye starts match #2 vs the Caymans. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Great news if true - surprised at the fee amount though.

I didn't wanna post it because a lot of people are skeptical of the source (sic noticias), and yeah, that fee seems impossibly low, but maybe the bulk of it will be in extra fees / a replacement player for Pacos. Keep an eye out lol.

It looks like Record (another Portuguese sports paper) found similar information about the agreement. I'm not sure how a player can be 'guaranteed' when they're still hashing out details, but that's the phrase I keep seeing.

I really want this transfer to happen, but 3.5 still seems impossible to me, even if they're getting a player back. Eustaquio was Pacos' record signing at 2.5 M, and they apparently don't even own half of his transfer rights. There's no way a club of their size could afford to lose money on such a massive investment. Something seems off about this.

12 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

It looks like Record (another Portuguese sports paper) found similar information about the agreement. I'm not sure how a player can be 'guaranteed' when they're still hashing out details, but that's the phrase I keep seeing.

I really want this transfer to happen, but 3.5 still seems impossible to me, even if they're getting a player back. Eustaquio was Pacos' record signing at 2.5 M, and they apparently don't even own half of his transfer rights. There's no way a club of their size could afford to lose money on such a massive investment. Something seems off about this.

If they're reporting from Pacos perspective that might just be the fee coming to them, which would be a cool 1.2 M Euro profit.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, PiedPilko said:

I didn't wanna post it because a lot of people are skeptical of the source (sic noticias), and yeah, that fee seems impossibly low, but maybe the bulk of it will be in extra fees / a replacement player for Pacos. Keep an eye out lol.

Let them sign Baldi

4 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Is he not a free agent at seasons end ?

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What did everyone think of him last night in his first start for Canada?

I thought he was a little underwhelming compared to his form in Portugal but by no means bad. He took two pretty poor shots and didn't make any real key passes but was good in possession. 

That sums up my thinking as well.  Didn’t do anything wrong - just didn’t seem to do much to stand out.   I was hoping to be a bit more wowed than I was.