Stephen Eustaquio

I do wonder if he would have committed to us if he knew things would go this well this quickly. Most Portuguese internationals on the big 3 teams eventually get calls, right? Maybe he appreciates the role he'll have with Canada. Either way, we're really lucky to have him.

Another thing, Herdman really, really like Piette, but he'll start Stephen now... right?

34 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I do wonder if he would have committed to us if he knew things would go this well this quickly. Most Portuguese internationals on the big 3 teams eventually get calls, right? Maybe he appreciates the role he'll have with Canada. Either way, we're really lucky to have him.

Another thing, Herdman really, really like Piette, but he'll start Stephen now... right?

Well he was playing on a Portuguese youth team that was stacked with high end talent....many calling it Portugal's 2nd golden generation. I think he knew he had something special back then and switched soon after the Euro youth tournament. But as you say we are blessed  to have him.

6 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Love Piette, will always appreciate him for what he has done. But right now, everything Piette (and Kaye) can do, Eustaquio can do, and more. On top of that, Stephen is not only playing at a much higher level than both guys, he is playing, and a lot, and he is a difference maker for his team (He is  a reason why Pacos are where they are right now). With Stephen playing as he is, him not starting is unfathomable. Not to mention the fact that it is very unlike Stephen doesn't move to a Portuguese giant this summer, and starts seeing UCL action. 

Edited by LeoH037

55 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Love Piette, will always appreciate him for what he has done. But right now, everything Piette (and Kaye) can do, Eustaquio can do, and more. On top of that, Stephen is not only playing at a much higher level than both guys, he is playing, and a lot, and he is a difference maker for his team (He is  a reason why Pacos are where they are right now). With Stephen playing as he is, him not starting is unfathomable. Not to mention the fact that it is very unlike Stephen doesn't move to a Portuguese giant this summer, and starts seeing UCL action. 

Yeah, he's as sure a starter as Davies/David for me, I just hope Herdman agrees. 

34 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Davies, David, Eustaquio 

Ok now that we have those names down. Who are the 8 players in our starting 11

Hoilett, Larin, Hutchinson, Arfield, Laryea, Vitoria, Adekugbe and Borjan. Load up the front seven 😁

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

My next 2 duh picks are Arfield and Borjan. After that there are some decisions to make for sure. Larin or Cavallini? The entire back 4????

Larin is a lock right now. I'd even argue he's number 3. Arfield is another lock now that he's healthy. 

11 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Larin is a lock right now. I'd even argue he's number 3. Arfield is another lock now that he's healthy. 

Likely a lock but you have to consider style. With Davies and David running off the CF you have to consider different attributes. I think Cavallini is a better passer and comes to the ball more. Larin is a finisher and has an unreal knack for finding space in a crowded box

Your right, Arfield is also a lock

A big question is with a 3rd midfielder along side Eustaquio who best compliments him? Hutch? MAK? I think it needs to be someone with some bite

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Likely a lock but you have to consider style. With Davies and David running off the CF you have to consider different attributes. I think Cavallini is a better passer and comes to the ball more. Larin is a finisher and has an unreal knack for finding space in a crowded box

Your right, Arfield is also a lock

A big question is with a 3rd midfielder along side Eustaquio who best compliments him? Hutch? MAK? I think it needs to be someone with some bite

Arfield's age will start to become a factor.  He's 32 so we can't say he's a lock indefinitely.  

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Arfield's age will start to become a factor.  He's 32 so we can't say he's a lock indefinitely.  

I agree. And with him just coming back from injury, I don't see him making this trip.

I think we might see a our CM options consisting of Eustaqiuo, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, and Paton maybe even Wootherspoon. 
Rusty might even get a call as a filler. 

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. And with him just coming back from injury, I don't see him making this trip.

I think we might see a our CM options consisting of Eustaqiuo, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, and Paton maybe even Wootherspoon. 

Paton? He’s on the Olympic list isn’t he?

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

No chance at Atiba? Didn't Herdman say he was willing to come in November?

14 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Paton? He’s on the Olympic list isn’t he?

Ya - however I can't see him being released for that tournament, considering he's an important piece to his relegation battling team.

10 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

No chance at Atiba? Didn't Herdman say he was willing to come in November?

He did make the same mentions for Arfield. They will be called "when needed"...whatever that means. 
I just can't see Atiba being there to face Bermuda and Cayman Islands.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Ya - however I can't see him being released for that tournament, considering he's an important piece to his relegation battling team.

He did make the same mentions for Arfield. They will be called "when needed"...whatever that means. 
I just can't see Atiba being there to face Bermuda and Cayman Islands.

Fair enough I guess. You’d think Canada would have talked to Paton/Ross County before putting him on the list though.

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Fair enough I guess. You’d think Canada would have talked to Paton/Ross County before putting him on the list though.

I would think also. He wouldn’t be on the list if there’s no chance of him going one would think. 

I know its been mentioned, but Efrain Alvarez was included in both US & Mexico Olympic preliminary squads.  Hopefully there is a chance he goes and both him and Ross County have been talked to about this opportunity.  But the whole Efrain Alvarez situation makes me hesitant about all the above.  

This year he has really risen to the top of our midfield pack.  Considering age and performance he should be an automatic starter.

If I was building a midfield trio for Canada for the 2022 WC it would be him, Osorio and Arfield.  I think that midfield trio would be top notch in CONCACAF and could compete with a fair number of World Cup teams.

Not to mention that our forwards- David, Davies and Larin could compete with a lot too.

Now that back line on the other hand......

edit - to clairify - I still think the US and Mexico have better midfields.  But I do think we have the 3rd best overall talent 

Edited by baulderdash77

Pacos play probably their worst game of the season, and pick up their first defeat against a non big 3 team since October, 3-0 vs Santa Clara. They're still 3 points ahead of VSC.

Eustaquio with a team leading 7.4 rating via sofascore, but I thought his passing was sorta wayward today. Still, he was running all over trying to will them back into play. He made 2 big penalty box interceptions in the second half that easily could have turned into goals. 

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Pacos play probably their worst game of the season, and pick up their first defeat against a non big 3 team since October, 3-0 vs Santa Clara. They're still 3 points ahead of VSC.

Eustaquio with a team leading 7.4 rating via sofascore, but I thought his passing was sorta wayward today. Still, he was running all over trying to will them back into play. He made 2 big penalty box interceptions in the second half that easily could have turned into goals. 

Quick question how are you watching his games?

3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Yeah. It definitely wasn't a good result today. Eustaquio was caught ball watching / lost his man on the third goal, which allowed for the through ball down the wing. But it's one game. Upward and onward.