Stephen Eustaquio

Also, to be clear, 5th place qualifies (for the 2nd qualifying round!) for the new Europa Conference League; not Europa League. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they would have to win 3 games to get into the Conference League, and then win the entire competition to get into Europa League.

Edit: If Benfica or Porto win the cup competition in Portugal, and Pacos passes Braga in the standings, they would jump right into Champions League Qualifiers and automatically qualify for Europa. 

Edited by PiedPilko

This is from about a week ago; from what I've seen on Twitter, Carlos is one of the most respected Cruz Azul reporters, whose leads have generally been correct. He did specifically say a few days earlier that he didn't believe Stephen would be sold this window and I'm not quite sure what the context for this tweet is, but I've seen several people say he talked to Stephen specifically who clarified that he was not interested in returning to Cruz Azul. In this tweet, he sounds very sure that Eustaquio will be sold.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't this have to happen this window if a sale is coming? Eustaquio will have 6 months left on his contract in June (when the loan ends), and at that point, he'll be able to negotiate with other clubs. 

7 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

This is from about a week ago; from what I've seen on Twitter, Carlos is one of the most respected Cruz Azul reporters, whose leads have generally been correct. He did specifically say a few days earlier that he didn't believe Stephen would be sold this window and I'm not quite sure what the context for this tweet is, but I've seen several people say he talked to Stephen specifically who clarified that he was not interested in returning to Cruz Azul. In this tweet, he sounds very sure that Eustaquio will be sold.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't this have to happen this window if a sale is coming? Eustaquio will have 6 months left on his contract in June (when the loan ends), and at that point, he'll be able to negotiate with other clubs. 

If he has 6 months on his contract in June, that means he’s still under contract. Which means he still could be sold in the summer, just at a lower asking price at what they could possibly get now. 

Also his loan expires in June, so he technically can’t be sold now unless it’s to Paco or his loan is cancelled(which could come at a cost to Cruz Azul or in some cases not possible - especially since he’s a key piece to his team)

One things for certain is that he’s in a good position come the end of season.

Edited by Shway

32 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

If he has 6 months or less on his contract he can sign with any club he wants based on the ruling of the Bosman court case. 

But they’d have to wait the 6 months until he could actually transfer right? Or they could pay Cruz Azul and get him right away. At least that’s how it works in my FIFA career mode lol

21 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

If he has 6 months or less on his contract he can sign with any club he wants based on the ruling of the Bosman court case. 

No, with 6 or fewer months left on their current contract players are allowed to enter contract talks with other clubs and can sign pre-contracts; the key point of the Bosman ruling is that when a player's contract expires in the EU they always have the ability to sign with a club in another EU country on a free transfer.

Previously, a club could still demand a transfer fee from a foreign club if they wanted to sign one of their out-of-contract players. The player could still sign domestically on a free, but this meant that clubs could block an out-of-contract player from moving abroad. Regardless, the Bosman ruling itself has no relevance here because Eustaquio is in Mexico.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

No, with 6 or fewer months left on their current contract players are allowed to enter contract talks with other clubs and can sign pre-contracts; the key point of the Bosman ruling is that when a player's contract expires in the EU they always have the ability to sign with a club in another EU country on a free transfer.

Previously, a club could still demand a transfer fee from a foreign club if they wanted to sign one of their out-of-contract players. The player could still sign domestically on a free, but this meant that clubs could block an out-of-contract player from moving abroad. Regardless, the Bosman ruling itself has no relevance here because Eustaquio is in Mexico.

Thanks for clarifying. 

I'm starting to wonder how accurate our perception of him as a deep lying playmaker ever was? He's played much more of the octopus role lately, and Bruno Costa is the one going forward. The more I watch him, the more he seems like an agile, less physical Atiba with a longball threat. He can go forward really well when he's told to, but it's cool that he has that versatility.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, Stryker911 said:

Had his transfermarkt value doubled to 4 million euros. His next closest teammate is at 2.5. The team's overall value is 12th overall so team is punching way above their weight.

I wanted to take a deeper look into the Market Value of the players in the league.  This new value makes him the 23rd highest market value in the league according to TransferMarkt.  Two players actually have the same value as him so technically only 20 players in the league are rated with higher value.

Of the 20 players with higher value: 9 players from Porto, 7 players from Benfica, 2, players from Sporting, 1 from Braga & 1 from Vitoria Guimaraes.  According to Transfermarkt he has the 3rd highest value in the league outside of the "big 3 teams".  On top of that, only 2 players from current league leaders Sporting Lisbon have a higher value than him.

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Definitely wouldn’t be the worst outcome in the short term.  He has been doing well, playing regularly at a high level and is getting great exposure.  

Kind of a no brainer for them. If the option is 2.5 million they can just flip him for 4 million once/if they get knocked out of Europa league.

I'm pretty neutral. Pacos very likely only goes to Europa Conference League (qualifiers), and that's if they stay ahead of Vitoria, who have a game in hand. His European experience could easily be against teams from Finland, Belarus, Kazakhstan or the like. If they get to the playoff round, they'll probably get stuck with a top 5 league team.

Then again, it's better than going back to Mexico for all of six months. There's a good chance Pacos just flip Eustaquio in June, since they spent all of the Reabciuk money on him. Pretty good business on their end if that's the case. They got a deal...

47 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Porto were interested in purchasing him today, but Pacos confirms he'll stay put for the time being. I'll get back to this in June lol

Edit:

Wait.. there's more! Maybe there's hope??? 

Is that common? A club buying a loanee only to sell them in the same window?