Stephen Eustaquio

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Does this mean Pacos has clinched a European spot?   Or just that he really like the moons of Jupiter?

Iooooo!! :D 

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

To expound upon the theme of Galilean moons, with Santa Clara's loss today in the Primeira Liga, Paços de Ferreira can finish no lower than 6th place. They also cannot finish higher than their current 5th place. So Europa Conference League it is!

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Primeira_Liga

I'm just curious... has anyone seen a situation like this before? There's another Portugueese media outlet saying Eustaquio (and his teammate Costa) to Porto is confirmed for the summer, and we've seen a ton of these through the year. But on the other hand, you've got the club chairman and Mauro himself saying no discussions have taken place whatsoever. I get they have an interest in raising his price, but I don't understand how their stories could be so far apart with no comments from anyone.

4 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I'm just curious... has anyone seen a situation like this before? There's another Portugueese media outlet saying Eustaquio (and his teammate Costa) to Porto is confirmed for the summer, and we've seen a ton of these through the year. But on the other hand, you've got the club chairman and Mauro himself saying no discussions have taken place whatsoever. I get they have an interest in raising his price, but I don't understand how their stories could be so far apart with no comments from anyone.

Just typical Portuguese media honestly.

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/p--ferreira/detalhe/empresarios-de-stephen-eustaquio-em-conversacoes-com-o-napoles

Napoli joins the party, cause why not?

I'm gonna hold off on posting updates before something gets acknowledgement / confirmation. I think this is gonna be a David-esque transfer window where like a dozen different clubs get linked to Steph. I'm gonna start taking these outlets with a grain of salt, especially considering Record previously reported a Porto deal was already closed. Something should happen, and it could be as big as Napoli or as small as Vitoria de Guimaraes... it's anyone's guess!

22 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/p--ferreira/detalhe/empresarios-de-stephen-eustaquio-em-conversacoes-com-o-napoles

Napoli joins the party, cause why not?

I'm gonna hold off on posting updates before something gets acknowledgement / confirmation. I think this is gonna be a David-esque transfer window where like a dozen different clubs get linked to Steph. I'm gonna start taking these outlets with a grain of salt, especially considering Record previously reported a Porto deal was already closed. Something should happen, and it could be as big as Napoli or as small as Vitoria de Guimaraes... it's anyone's guess!

That article has a picture of his agent at the Napoli offices.

5 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Imo Napoli would be better than Porto, just for the fact that he'll be playing tougher competition. Both of them are guaranteed European football with Napoli battling with Juve for the final Champions League spot in Italy.

Plus just think about the stars he would be playing with which is why I do want to see him go to Serie A and play for Napoli. It would be huge for our program especially if he ends up there.

9 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

That article has a picture of his agent at the Napoli offices.

Indeed, but he looks more like a tourist than on official business.

BTW - he also represents Reinildo, David's Lilie team-mate.  While less intriguing, it would be really fun to watch them both together.  A la Hutch & Larin.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, for the purpose of this site, I generally use “Canadian” to refer to someone who has repped, or is willing to rep, Canada.  Place of birth is just a matter of coincidence of you choose to rep another nation.  

If they don't consider themselves Canadian, why should we?  I've never understood this.

Before we get too excited, let's bear in mind that Stephen's agent represents many players and there's no indication that Stephen is the subject of any discussions that are happening. 

That said, the possibility that Eustaquio's name may come up is certainly exciting. I don't think it's far-fetched to imagine them being interested in signing him for a modest fee (4-6M euros) and using him as a depth player, at least to start. 

Anyways, that's it for Pacos' season. Steph played pretty poorly these last 2 games, but hopefully that's more a case of being checked out than anything else. Great season for them, even if they're about to lose all of their best players lol. Let's hope he finds the right team to move to.

• 4 weeks later...

15 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Eustaquio (at least at the level we have seen so far) is one of those players that will make the right play with the ball 95% of the time.  Having that in midfield relaxes everything and gives you something to build on most plays.  Hugely important to move to the next level.  

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. I was also impressed with his ability to win headers and tackles. I knew that was supposedly part of his game, but you kind of need to see it to believe it. All the stuff on the ball was always observable from his highlights, so no surprise there.

The way he handled things defensively against a very physical Haiti really pleased me. 

These quotes are from the Arfield thread but I too was impressed with all of the above. I'd also add that his set piece delivery was great and it's nice to finally have that weapon. Davies needs to improve a bit but he's all we really have for left-footed options at the moment.

Definitely a locked in starter, which is saying a lot given our depth at the position.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping because I think this is the biggest possible transfer or signing still pending. And maybe the most important, as Paços has to be considered below the level we'd like to see him, despite their good season.

We heard rumours  few months back of him being sold to Porto, but nothing more since. With him at the GC and missing some preseason, I'd say it is a good time to shop him. And he knows this, so hoping he has a great tournament. 

This summer other possible moves I'd like to see: Kaye to Europe, likewise Buchanan, and maybe Ayo getting and taking an offer. Some of the MLS guys. The transfer window is open and the GC will give prospective clubs a chance to take a better look.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bumping because I think this is the biggest possible transfer or signing still pending. And maybe the most important, as Paços has to be considered below the level we'd like to see him, despite their good season.

We heard rumours  few months back of him being sold to Porto, but nothing more since. With him at the GC and missing some preseason, I'd say it is a good time to shop him. And he knows this, so hoping he has a great tournament. 

This summer other possible moves I'd like to see: Kaye to Europe, likewise Buchanan, and maybe Ayo getting and taking an offer. Some of the MLS guys. The transfer window is open and the GC will give prospective clubs a chance to take a better look.

Buchanan to Europe is one I have mixed feelings about.  I get that a solid European league is the next step, but he has been doing well and making solid progress at NER.  I do t think finishing the MLS season would be the worst thing.   

And as happy as I am that we got Ayo, I am not sure a lot of European teams will be making offers until he shows more consistency in MLS.