Stephen Eustaquio

22 hours ago, El Hombre said:

FWIW, Rochez went head to head with Larin at Orlando.  Both arrived at the same time but Larin was clearly better.  So, by "in-the-mix" he's clearly behind Larin who is fighting with Cavallini, David and Akinola at the center-forward position and with Millar and Hoillet and Davies out wide (among others).

Larin took his chance early and never looked back. He literally never stopped scoring the entire season, so was that really a head-to-head? If so it was very short lived. Nobody was getting ahead of Cyle once the goals were flowing.

Like everyone else, I was extremely pleased our guy went on a tear while the Honduran DP was either on the bench or out due to injury, but Orlando signed him as a DP for a reason. He's clearly a decent player as suggested by his 26 goals in 79 games for Nacional. 

The question is would he compete for a spot in our team today? I think the answer would have to be yes, so I have to agree with @baulderdash77 on this one. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Larin took his chance early and never looked back. He literally never stopped scoring the entire season, so was that really a head-to-head? If so it was very short lived. Nobody was getting ahead of Cyle once the goals were flowing.

Like everyone else, I was extremely pleased our guy went on a tear while the Honduran DP was either on the bench or out due to injury, but Orlando signed him as a DP for a reason. He's clearly a decent player as suggested by his 26 goals in 79 games for Nacional. 

The question is would he compete for a spot in our team today? I think the answer would have to be yes, so I have to agree with @baulderdash77 on this one. 

If I remember correctly, when the Orlando strikers started dropping, they went to Rochez first and then Larin after that.  Also, I believe that a good portion of those 26 goals have come when Nacional was in the second division.

He could compete for a spot but would be significantly down the depth chart.  An argument could be made that someone like Bair has done about as much at the age of 21 than Rochez had at the same age, which gives you an idea of where we are talking on the depth chart.

16 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Posters talking about Atiba at 38:

star wars GIF

Posters talking about Honduran players who have kicked our ass before, at 37:

This is funny and I did think about that BUT just look at the levels they're at respectively. Atiba is, arguably, playing at a higher level than any of those players played at in their primes even.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

If I remember correctly, when the Orlando strikers started dropping, they went to Rochez first and then Larin after that.  Also, I believe that a good portion of those 26 goals have come when Nacional was in the second division.

He could compete for a spot but would be significantly down the depth chart.  An argument could be made that someone like Bair has done about as much at the age of 21 than Rochez had at the same age, which gives you an idea of where we are talking on the depth chart.

Yup that is correct. Neither Rochez or Larin were starters in the season opener. Second game of the season Rochez made his first sub appearance, then Larin got his chance off the bench in game 3. Cyle earned his first start in game 6 (away to Portland) and scored. That sealed it.

Rochez wasn't even given the chance to show what he could do from the start before Larin took the spot as his own. 

Not that I am complaining, of course, since it worked out well for us, but I think it shows how careers are made. That quick start to Larin's career was so critical to him fulfilling his potential, and it was the same with David at Gent. I wonder how things may have unfolded if it were Rochez who was given the start that day in Portland instead of Larin....

Had Rochez flamed out entirely I could say with confidence that was just a complete bust, but the fact he's revived himself in Portugal suggests he just needed the right opportunity.

From what I see he scored 10 goals in Liga Nos in 2018-19 and just 3 this season, not stellar but probably worthy of our pool IMO. 

Don't forget that before Rochez was 21, he scored 30 goals in 62 games for Real Espana and won the Honduras Apetura in 2013. That's more than Bair has done, spectacular golazo in MLS not-withstanding.

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Tough 2-0 loss vs Sporting. Better than last time, but Pacos just don't have that much pace on the wings. 

This is getting repetitive, but Eustaquio was very solid defensively - 2nd highest rating on the team today. Sporting were purposely moving to the sides to avoid him.

I'll still maintain he should be going forward / longballing more... I don't know if it's a psychological issue or a coaching decision, but Pacos need more directness against bigger teams if they're gonna compete in Europe, and Eustaquio should provide that better than anyone else.

I also watched most of the first half. Tough rival, although they actually did have a good chance to tie it before the break.

Stephen is the organising mid on a team that is not a strong possession team, so that is tough. Few other players complement him. I find he is very mobile but sometimes moves too much without the ball--if the team were better balanced he would not have to always be the main outlet option. He's very fit, looks slight and someone could argue he is lacking in physicality, but he's lithe and quick, apart from good ball skills.

Not the day to really shine for him against the league leaders.

Your comment about them competing in Europe. Does not look like they have to players to do so, but if they make Europa League all power to them.

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also watched most of the first half. Tough rival, although they actually did have a good chance to tie it before the break.

Stephen is the organising mid on a team that is not a strong possession team, so that is tough. Few other players complement him. I find he is very mobile but sometimes moves too much without the ball--if the team were better balanced he would not have to always be the main outlet option. He's very fit, looks slight and someone could argue he is lacking in physicality, but he's lithe and quick, apart from good ball skills.

Not the day to really shine for him against the league leaders.

Your comment about them competing in Europe. Does not look like they have to players to do so, but if they make Europa League all power to them.

I don't think they'll have Costa or Singh next season, who are probably their 2 other big talents. Even if they do sneak into conference league, it'll be really difficult with only Eustaquio. I'm gonna keep hoping for the move to Porto or Sporting in June. 

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is funny and I did think about that BUT just look at the levels they're at respectively. Atiba is, arguably, playing at a higher level than any of those players played at in their primes even.

yet some of "those players" , who've clearly had inferior careers and play for inferior clubs/national teams, have managed to become back to back world cup veterans... all this "on paper" stuff is just that

Edited by LeoH037

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Eustaquio is the player I'm most looking forward to seeing with the CMNT. He doesn't strike me as the type who'll break if playing down in front of a hostile and rowdy Central American crowd. Big game player.

I agree. He's already accustomed to playing in hostile environments playing in Mexico and Portugal. Also, he strikes me as future captaincy material too based on play and his interviews.

10 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I agree. He's already accustomed to playing in hostile environments playing in Mexico and Portugal. Also, he strikes me as future captaincy material too based on play and his interviews.

its not just that. Just the way he carries and asserts himself on the field, and the fact he was able to overcome such an injury and come back from it stronger than before says A LOT about his character. I honestly view him as a Canadian version of an in prime Michael Bradley, the guy also has an engine. We focus on guys like Davies, Davies, Millar, i.e. the flashy players, but I believe Eustaquio's injection into the line up is the one that would provide the biggest boost in quality and structure in midfield, providing a sort of "connective tissue" and outlet. I honestly love watching him play.

Edited by LeoH037

31 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Here's a nice quote from his coach:

"Stephen [Eustáquio] is the extension of the coach on the field. For what he plays and, above all, the intelligence he has, he is a monster on the field and that is gratifying for all of us."

Geez.  That is pretty high praise. 

Like others, this is one of the guys I am most excited to see in the coming years.  I think he will end up being one of our most important players over the 2022 and 2026 cycles.

This guy is magic.  He will fit with our other key players like a glove.  Stephen's relentlessness and creativity.  Phonzie's charisma and flash.  Jonathan's maturity and composure.  The three pillars of our team identity going forward.   

I cannot wait to see our team, with everyone healthy and available.  We might have French, German and Turkish league champions.  My God!  And our bench with Cavallini, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Millar, Henry - guys better than our starters in previous cycles.  Is this real life?

We are going to be that. damn. good.  I can't help but dream.  Can this really be our time?  Is it our turn, finally?