CPL General

22 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I wasn't talking about MLS at all, just how the CPL can fit into the ecosystem of world football. Also I believe you are out to lunch on your last sentence. 

Sorry my statement wasn't clear.

I was talking about MLS being better than leagues like the Turkish league or the Portuguese league. Sure, teams like Porto, or Galatasaray are significantly better. but the rest of the league really isn't.

And, when talking about Italy or France, I'd say MLS team could compete with the last 5 teams in those leagues. In England, Spain or Germany, MLS teams are somewhere in the upper mid-table.

Next TV deal will change that.

Edited by zen

58 minutes ago, zen said:

I'm not sure if you are insinuating that Swedish clubs are better than the clubs in MLS, but the quality in MLS has already surpassed the Scandinavian leagues.

Please read my comment above where I state:

"Attitude that the deserve big fees"

It all depends what the player is worth on the free market. If the league and the team believe they can sell a player for more, why shouldn't they hold out. There is greater value in said player remaining in the league and growing, and being sold solely to recuperate costs.

The bigger clubs in Scandinavia I.e Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Midtjylland, Malmo are bigger than MLS clubs so a sweeping statement like that doesn’t tell us the whole story.  Look at Bill Hamid who couldn’t get a game in Denmark or Ousted who was average but came to MLS and became a top keeper.

The leagues actually have a lot of interchange because they’re similar.  

24 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The bigger clubs in Scandinavia I.e Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Midtjylland, Malmo are bigger than MLS clubs...

That's debatable when average crowds max out at about 15,000 in Norway and Denmark even for the largest clubs. Think we can be highly confident that CanPL clubs will draw significantly better than Dalkurd FF (one of the players rumoured to be signing is from their U-19 team) did last summer:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveswe.htm

so you can make arguments to fit a preferred narrative at both extremes in AllSvenskan terms, because relatively small countries (in population terms) are involved in Scandinavia that have few large cities that can generate MLS-sized crowds.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's debatable when average crowds max out at about 15,000 in Norway and Denmark even for the largest clubs. Think we can be highly confident that CanPL clubs will draw significantly better than Dalkurd FF (one of the players rumoured to be signing is from their U-19 team) did last summer:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveswe.htm

so you can make arguments to fit a preferred narrative at both extremes in AllSvenskan terms, because relatively small countries (in population terms) are involved in Scandinavia that have few large cities that can generate MLS-sized crowds.

Why even waste your time talking about crowd sizes when that’s not even the topic?  We are talking about size of clubs/quality.  For that it comes down to who you can attract and at what wages. Of course crowd sizes help to pay wages but it’s not everything.

Dean Court holds 11,360 ... does that mean that Bournemouth isn’t big enough for MLS?  

Issey and Humes clubs in Malaysia and India outdraw MLS, so I guess that means those leagues are top class. 

Everyone always wants to say MLS has surpassed this league or that league but it’s not that simple because those leagues aren’t in a parity system.. they have big clubs and small clubs.  I’m very confident that any team in Scandinavia playing continentally would win MLS or at least come very close. 

Edited by Keegan

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Allsvenskan clubs do not receive the same sort of TV money that Bournemouth does and are based in a country that is reasonably comparable to North America in economic and cultural terms, so the comparisons you are trying to draw are not sensible.

They play in continental competitions BBTB - they pay pretty decently.  They are also clubs that are entrenched in the culture and community for close to a century, much like the Leafs or Canadiens.  They also, unlike your typical MLS club, regularly sell players.  

I’m not trying to draw any comparison - I was pointing out the flaw in your logic re crowd sizes.  I’ve been talking about relative quality of Scandinavian leagues v MLS.  You’re talking about crowd sizes as if it correlates directly to quality of play. 

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

Jesus Christ, all I tried to say was CPL clubs should be looking to take advantage of even modest transfers. How did this turn into a pissing contest?

It was You'll Never Walk Alone's fault for adding in the comparison... 

On a totally different subject, why haven't we seen a schedule yet for season 1???  And why haven't we seen jerseys available for sale yet??? The best way I can  support this league is by giving them my money but they've given me nothing to spend my money on yet (note: I don't need another t-shirt, and I can't get season tix cause I don't live in a CPL city...yet).

2 hours ago, Nerf said:

On a totally different subject, why haven't we seen a schedule yet for season 1???  And why haven't we seen jerseys available for sale yet??? The best way I can  support this league is by giving them my money but they've given me nothing to spend my money on yet (note: I don't need another t-shirt, and I can't get season tix cause I don't live in a CPL city...yet).

Schedules are typically released for the other pro leagues in January, with CPL's season starting 3rd week of April I'd expect a schedule released in the next few weeks.

55 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I hope it's not later than that, because my April/May work schedule needs to be submitted on January 28th.

It's getting on a bit.  I'm travelling for a wedding this summer, as an example, and others are needing to book their summer holidays keeping in mind the kids and such.  So do I leave Wednesday or Friday or just book things and the CPl schedule be damned?  

May seem funny but everything else being equal people will just do what they want to do.  But everything else isn't equal.  Do you holiday the 3rd week of July or the last week of July.  Need to know what's on the plate.  The clock is ticking. 

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

It's getting on a bit.  I'm travelling for a wedding this summer, as an example, and others are needing to book their summer holidays keeping in mind the kids and such.  So do I leave Wednesday or Friday or just book things and the CPl schedule be damned?  

May seem funny but everything else being equal people will just do what they want to do.  But everything else isn't equal.  Do you holiday the 3rd week of July or the last week of July.  Need to know what's on the plate.  The clock is ticking. 

Accurate. I'm from Newfoundland, but trying to line up my bachelor party for a CPL game. Only... I don't have the CPL schedule. So I've got a lot on hold and can only hold for so long.

Maybe another piece of information we've learned from Clanachan update this morning:

• Come game day, teams will have to start at least six Canadians. That is the only proviso, allowing coaches to make their normal substitutions without concern over citizenship.

So 6 Canadians MUST start but there's no obligation to maintain a minimum of 6 Canadians at all time on the pitch.

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So 6 Canadians MUST start but there's no obligation to maintain a minimum of 6 Canadians at all time on the pitch.

6 domestic players, who may or may not be citizens judging by what is happening with Raphael Ohin at the Valour according to Rob Gale's tweet and what was stated about U-Sports players. Think this is simply common sense as you want to allow coaches to make tactical substitutions during the game without worrying about who is what. Only possible issue I can see happening would be absurdly early substitutions to bring on an extra import, but if you are only allowed 7 imports in total on the roster that probably won't happen too often.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

6 domestic players, who may or may not be citizens judging by what is happening with Raphael Ohin at the Valour according to Rob Gale's tweet and what was stated about U-Sports players. Think this is simply common sense as you want to allow coaches to make tactical substitutions during the game without worrying about who is what. Only possible issue I can see happening would be absurdly early substitutions to bring on an extra import, but if you are only allowed 7 imports in total on the roster that probably won't happen too often.

I find that one of the fun and interesting aspects of the CFL is Canadian content that has to be maintained on the field at all times. So, when key domestic players go down, there usually is a real shuffle trying to keep the quota giving guys new opportunities to get game time and develop.

From the Neil Davidson article: "Clanachan acknowledges that schedule balance is difficult with seven teams but says the league will do the best it can, loading up on local derby matches to make the numbers work."

I've never been good at math, but the trouble with this that I can see is that if there's an even number of games for each team, if York 9 and Forge play each other a bumper number of times and so do Edmonton and Cavalry, it means that the equivalent bumper number of games for the other 3 teams have to be split between them. Which means extra trips from Victoria to Halifax and vice versa and to Winnipeg in the middle for those three teams. My guess is that Victoria will get more games against the Alberta teams (if we call them "local" to each other) than the rest of the league and Halifax will get more games against the Ontario teams than the rest of the league , not sure where the Winnipeg games can go.